Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

The Basils

Meet the new nutty arrivals. The Basils! :love:
3 siamese males from Doric. As they're hard to tell apart unless they're still (one has lighter ears, another has a roman nose and another has a very dark tail, but when they're bouncing around that means nothing lol), and to fit in with a joke, I named them all Basil :lol:

Hopefully they will stay happy and together, but if not and if they don't like being alone they will be neutered.

I only have a couple of half decent pics at the moment and they could easily be of the same one lol.

Comments

• _racingmouse_racingmouse Legacy
    Little mischief makers! Be great if they stay together for you Nutty, there`s every chance if they settle and are content. x
  • _PresqueVu_PresqueVu Legacy
    Awesome, hope they are settling in well!

They are gorgeous boys :wave:
  • _mousequeen!_mousequeen! Legacy
    Fingers crossed for good behaviour
    Cant believe theyve all got the same name :P hehe
  • _NuttySian_NuttySian Legacy
    Saves me trying to tell them apart :lol:

I was going to swap the saucer wheel for another normal one as I finally remembered where they were lol but they seem to prefer the saucer. If they don't bother with the other I'll remove it and put another saucer in.
  • _zany_toon_zany_toon Legacy
    :D Lovely boys Sian, and I'm glad that I'm not the only one that can't tell smeezy boys apart :lol:
    Well things are a bit touchy with the boys at the moment, Wheel Bas (the first one to use and enjoy the wheel) was then joined on it by Lover Bas (they can't get to each other, but he and Edam "had a moment" lol) but didn't like it so of course, told him off.

I put another saucer in, and after a day or so they realised it did the same as the first and there was one on each, job done!

Until.. Jumpy Bas decided he wanted in on the fun too, but whichever bro he jumped on with didn't want to share! So, there have been scraps and of course I can't find any of my spare saucers when I need them :roll:

I ended up taking the wheels out and replaced them some other toys, but it seems two of them (I think it's Wheel and Lover) have decided that squabbling is the best way to burn off their energy now.

I'm now hunting for the spare saucers and hoping that once they have one each they'll settle down :?

Here are some pics we took before the squabbles started.

Wheel Bas

Lover Bas

Jumpy Bas

Lover and Jumpy together
    The boys are still squabbling but as awful as it sounds when they do it - there's still no blood shed :)

No one seems to be left out, and although no one has gained a big amount of weight - they haven't lost any either.

There weren't any pics of them opening their present as they went all shy on me lol. So here are some from their handling session and wound check the other day -

Sadly the boys had to be partially split today. Last night Wheel Bas was actually sat still so I was able to see his poor tail was chewed :( Couldn't get a proper look at the other two so had to wait until today to find out who was doing what.

Turns out it's Lover Bas being a bully! At least that's what the tails tell us, his is still perfect.
    "What? Me? Nooo"

I'm assuming it's still all to do with the wheels as Wheel Bas has the worst looking tail, whereas Not-the-jumpiest-any more Bas (yeah he needs a new nickname lol) only has about half of the damage, although he runs on them he's never been as bothered as the other two.

Wheel Bas

Not-the-jumpiest-any more Bas

Lover Bas is in a combi, small, but handy for getting him neutered as I don't need to mess around putting him in a carrier and there's not too much for him to get up to while he's healing!

The other two I've left together for now but moved into a spelos so I can keep a better eye on their tails and behaviour. If they fall out too then all 3 will be going to visit the nad fairy!
    Well the pair didn't last long, they started fighting this morning so everyone is now single!

Will be speaking to the vet asap to book them in :-/
    They're now booked in for Thursday. Will drop them off Wednesday afternoon/evening as it's much easier than rushing around in the morning!
    The boys are home :) Everything went well, although Wheel Bas had to be held vertically a few times before his would drop properly lol.

They've got the usual antibiotics and anti-inflammatories for week, and can have their wheels back after that time too.
    All 3 have pooped and peed, and are their usual active selves although slightly bored without their wheels! :)

I'm going to wait until the week of meds is up then try them together again, I'm hoping that as the fighting was only at the tail stage they'll be ok. If not I'll give them longer then retry.
    We started the re-intro process today and so far so good.

We let them run around the photo tent for a bit, and they're now in a carrier with bedding and a bottle to see how they go overnight.

:love: :love:

It's definitely my fave pic of them so far!

They had a quiet night in the carrier so are now in a combi for the night.
    They've been back in their main cage since the 24th and are doing well. There have been a couple of small happenings but nothing like before and no blood has been shed.

The last two nights especially have been very good, they've all been out and about, and I've heard nothing but normal noises (the wheels and them chewing etc) so I'm hoping they've gotten over everything now - obviously all the moving around had them confused, and will be just fine :)
    Still together! :wiggle: :love:

There were a couple of incidents where there was silent chasing and the one on the receiving end "froze" in place for a few minutes, the second time it happened I was able to see it better and it turned out the one on the receiving end was Light Ears Bas - the one who started the bullying last time!
    Seems he was getting a taste of his own medicine!

They've since settled down and I think it's safe to say they're back together for good!
    We swapped The Basils and The (Almost) Cheese Mice around last week for several reasons.

While Just Bas is a lovely soppy boy, Wheel and Light Ears don't like to give up their wheels easily (even when they're not longer in the cage lol) so can be sods to catch!
    So they now have the nice big door of the bristol so it's easier to get them out. And it gives them a little bit more space and some more bars to climb, something the other group aren't bothered about! Even monkey Feta has settled down a bit.

Haven't got any of them in it yet, but did get a couple of them in the imac and their "silly" bed. They came to me with a piece of cardboard that they love to hide under and it's still going, so I jammed it in the bed area of the imac thinking they'd sleep under it without the worry of it getting moved around.... nope! They decided to squish themselves on top of it!!

Blurry silly boys :love:
    In a bid to make Feta happier, she's now in with The Basils. They're younger than her and definitely very active, so I'm hoping once she settles in she'll feel happier and have more to do, so will stop scratching so much.

Although nothing big has happened there has been some squeaking and chasing over the saucer wheels. They have no problem sharing their food, or beds, but share the saucer wheels? Oh hell no! :roll: Silly silly boys!

There has been progress though, they weren't even letting her get near the shelf the saucers are on, but last night she was able to move around it and the Basil that was on it moved away!
    Then later on she managed to sit on the shelf for a while before moving to sit on the other wheel that wasn't in use at the time! The Basil moved away to start with but then went back to running.

I think that once again it's Light Ears Bas causing the trouble, but I'm not 100% sure. I've put another normal wheel in anyway as that's what Feta is used to, so there's now 2 saucers and 2 normals, so hopefully they'll calm down soon.

They're such cheeky monkeys, another thing in common with Feta lol.

They're complete sods to get out of the cage though (unlike Feta who just strolls out lol) but once out of it they're almost angels!
    I'm happy to report that she's now 100% accepted :)
    All the squeaking and messing around has stopped, and I've seen them snuggled up together (but they scattered before I could get evidence! lol).

She's still scratching, but the Denes remedy is keeping it under control quite well. Unless she has a flare up the wounds are still there but not open.
    Look what Just Bas and Light Ears Bas had been hiding from me :cry:

Sadly the first thing I noticed was Feta going from small to huge in a very short time. I can't help but think if I'd noticed these first I could have taken her out in time.

I obviously don't blame the boys! They only did what came naturally. Wheel Bas looks to be totally ball free, but Just Bas looks to still have his left one and Light Ears Bas his right.

Thankfully it hasn't affected their relationship, they're all still buddies.

They're also still big babies, they still have their cardboard hidey place that came with them lol.

:love:
    Took them to the vets the other day and he can definitely feel Light Ears' right one, he wasn't as sure about Just's left one but there is obviously something there compared to Wheel's nothing.

And despite all the signs pointing to it, Feta wasn't pregnant. So if these boys did do anything they're hopefully firing blanks. I wont be putting any other females in with them though, just in case.

Vet did offer to redo them free of charge but as they're still great buddies I don't see the point. They were very well behaved despite being felt lol. They were also pretty easy to get out of the cage before hand for a change too!
    Doesn't seem silly at all :) He didn't mention a hernia, just seemed to think that it wasn't as fully a testicle as Light Ears' was.
    Which is probably a good thing as LE still thinks himself as the boss even without the fighting lol.

I thought I'd jinxed them last night though, LE and Just started fighting over the ice cream cone! Silly boys. Wheel was running as usual and ignoring the palava lol.
    Thankfully though it wasn't a bad fight and they did calm down and share it, Wheel even stopped running to have a crunch of it.
    The question of "Who ate all the pies?" can finally be answered - The Basils did! :lol:

These guys have had a growth spurt! Although Light Ears only grew in length, the other two grew in length and width!

Wheel and Just Bas are now in the 70g region! :shock: While Light Ears is still in the 50g region.

imageThe Basils by NuttySianana, on Flickr

Chunky monkeys! :love:
    Awww.... Ok they might be a bit chubby but they're very cute chubby creatures :)
    The boys are 1 today! :love: :love:
    I put it on the other thread but will put it here too, The Basil's went to Kingswinford show with us last Saturday and won in the other rodents pet class....they were the only meecers entered :lol:

Just/Lover Bas charmed his way into first, Wheel got second and Light Ears was being cheeky as usual so got third.

They were very well behaved though, despite being in a sulk as I'd put them in a combi the night before to make it easier to take them!
  • Congratulations to all three but I think you might mean Wooten Bassett (or however its spelt), Kingswinford is the one tomorrow :)

Putting them into the combi the night before is clever... Except I'd feel mean lol
    Peanut is usually pretty good about coming out for shows when we ask him to though and he's the only mouse we take at the moment :)
    Oops!! :oops: Indeed I did :lol:
    I don't know why I got them mixed up as we're not going to that one! Silly brain lol.

I did feel mean, mainly because of not being able to fit wheels in, but as we ran late the next day it was a good thing I did it lol.
  • Ah well, just means Peanut doesn't have your boys for competition tomorrow then :P I am glad they did well at the show for you anyway :)

Ok... Definetly good then :) I bet you weren't as bad as us last year for Kingswinford though, in the morning I thought "just five more minutes..." and I know the alarm was set because I'd set it the night before (I know what I'm like with mornings), then I check my watch thinking "its being a long five minutes..." which was promptly followed by "Oh flip, thats because its been nearly an hour and five minutes!" lol. Must've fallen asleep and turned the alarm off in my sleep... We got there by 1 though so were still in time for pet class :)