Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Hazel the zebra mouse

_NuttySian_NuttySian Legacy
edited March 2016 in Galleries
The girls are settling in nicely and I'm getting more pics than I expected!
Here's the link to their album - http://smg.photobucket.com/user/section8angel/library/Mice/Zebra Mice/Hazel and Willow

And here's a selection of pics :)

Comments

• _AnnB_AnnB Legacy
    They're very sweet and it's nice to see some different types of mice making an appearance on the forum.
  • _Veroxion_Veroxion Legacy
    I wish we had more of a selection of rodents here in NZ, but too many of them are pests. :-/

They are so cute, and I love their tank. I think it'd be awesome to have a wooden theme, but I imagine it would get stinky very quickly. Looks like the girls enjoy their home. :)
  • _Headlam_Headlam Legacy
    They are lovely. I have heard of them but never seen them. Very impressive.
  • _Gilbert_Gilbert Legacy
    They're absolutely delightful Sian
  • _Ceretrea_Ceretrea Legacy
    These two came from me :)

Glad to see them settling in nicely Sian. I love your set up x

Zebras don't pee like fancy mice, they are more like gerbils in some respects. They are relatively dry, not smelly and chew everything that isn't glass or metal. They can live in barred cages, tanks or tubs but I find they prefer having alot of cover, a high place to play 'meerkat' and be able to see out the side of their cage. They don't seem to do so well in tubs unless they have a lot of meshed panels.

Food is the same as fancy mice/hamsters from the seems of it.
  • _NuttySian_NuttySian Legacy
    Oh yes, Hazel loves playing look out. At the moment her fave place is on that bendy wood bit.

I can't seem to get a good full tank shot that shows everything so I'll describe it for you all instead. Obviously some bits you can see but I'll list them all anyway :lol:

Starting at the left there's their bottle, a wooden house and then a coconut house.
    There's a rope at the front and back and they almost go the length of the tank.
    In the middle there are 2 thick cardboard tubes under the wire "shelf", the taller one you can see but the shorter one is at the back and covered in fitch.
    Over the shelf is one bendy wood bit, then on it is that play n chew thing or whatever they're called, and a small reptile branch.
    Then, there's another wooden house in the back right corner, a 3/4 coconut one front right, and sat on top of them is another bendy wooden bit.

I have several other bits that can go in too, but at the moment they seem quite happy with what they have so I'll keep them spare until needed.
    I've got 3 wheels to try them with too but the best place for them is where the whole coconut house is, so I either need to shuffle some bits or wait for the destruction lol.
    They look adorable :)
    They've vacated the coconut they came with, and I have no idea where they are now sleeping lol. That's probably how they want it to be!

So, I moved said coconut onto the shelf and put a saucer wheel where it had been.
    One of them (I'm assuming Hazel as she is the more confident) took to it straight away. However, she was running the wrong way for me to get decent pics, so please excuse the bum shots :lol:

I tried through the lid instead lol.
    Peekaboo!

Nomnomnom

Some of those pics are really nice :)
    No new pics this time, they've gotten wise to the camera starting up even though it's very quiet lol.

They're still doing great though, Willow seems to prefer the warmer weather as I've seen her out a lot more lately.

I've changed their water bottle to a normal plastic one as bits kept getting sucked back into the glass one - they have the same bad habit as the fancies and my hams, they like to pile the bedding near the bottle lol.
    So far they haven't chewed it!
  • _Tilly1712_Tilly1712 Legacy
    I have only just seen this thread - wow, they're absolutely gorgeous!! :love:
    The bottle is still in tact which I'm very pleased about! They're also getting braver, Hazel rarely bothers moving when I change the water or put food in now, she just stays sat by the wheel. And Willow comes out a lot quicker when the food has been put in :)
    She's still very shy when it comes to pics though lol, so most of these are again of Hazel.

• _Pomtreez_Pomtreez Legacy
    Wow, those are neat mice! Never seen or heard of them before. That's neat that they aren't as smelly as typical mice. :lol:

Great photos!
    We can see you Willow! :lol:
    imageHazel and Willow by NuttySianana, on Flickr

These girls are still doing great, Willow seems to be getting more confident each week.

I think it's time to swap a few of the things around though, they keep knocking their coconut over so I might swap it for something different!
    These two aren't keen on being handled, I do keep trying to stroke them before they dash off though in case they decide they like it lol.

Hazel is the outgoing one, she's always first out to investigate things and stays out longer than Willow.

That's how I usually tell them apart, Hazel will be out and Willow will be hiding, but when they're together I tell by the stripes. I can't remember which way around it is at the moment lol but one has thinner stripes than the other.

Yep, they are known as that African striped grass mice :)

And yes, depending on the personalites of the mice they can live with fancies - I also have a male and he's living with 6 female fancies - http://www.micearenice.co.uk/new/index.php/forum/mouse-gallery/43202-blackberry-and-a-whole-lot-of-girls

He however doesn't mind being handled. I wouldn't say he enjoys it, but if we cup him and keep him mostly covered, we can move him without any hassle. He does seem to enjoy being stroked though.
    She is adorable... :D
  • NuttySianNuttySian Mouse
    These girls are improving so much! It might seem slow to some, but I don't mind. 

Hazel now stays out when I put food in, and last night she nearly took a piece from my fingers!!

Willow has gotten braver and although she still dashes off when I put the food in, she now comes straight back out :)
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    It's always lovely when they become more trusting, even if it takes the best part of their life to get to that point.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    They are lovely.Am glad the girls are getting to trust you more.
    That sounds like great progress :D
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • superwolfsuperwolf Mouse
    Glad to hear it! :D
    Those are great photos :)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • superwolfsuperwolf Mouse
    My brain just went 'squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!' looking at those pictures Sian.  :\">
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Awww :) They are gorgeous :x
  • NuttySianNuttySian Mouse
    Sadly Willow passed away unexpectedly :( 

I'd been struggling to clean their tank out, so moved them into a tub that's just as long, but not as high. Both seemed to settle in well, so I don't think it was because of that. 

Hopefully Hazel will be ok alone, she was the more confident of the two.
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    :( I'm really sorry Sian, she was a gorgeous girl :( I will keep my fingers crossed that Hazel will be ok on her own. Run fee Willow xx
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    What a shame. I really hope Hazel will be ok.
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Really sorry to hear that Nutty. Would Hazel take to a lone fancy male perhaps if she got withdrawn or you felt she might like the company of another mouse? Just a thought....x