Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Blackberry and a whole lot of girls!

Some of these you may recognise as they've been living with the lovely PresqueVu, and because 3 are my girls. 1 however is a complete newbie as I'm a sucker and saw her on preloved lol, and the lovely Presque and hubby sorted out her collection and intro for me!

Clover, Blackberry and the new newbie, Ebony.

Ily

Clover and Blackberry again

Clover and Ebony

Serif and Iblis, Serif's wound is looking better, she's been on baytril to keep away infection.

They then got introduced to my 3 girls and although there were a few scuffles, and I'm still hearing some squeaking*, nothing serious has happened and everyone seems to be getting along quite well!
*The squeaking sounds more like "move over, I need room" than anything mean lol.

Summer and Clover nom the crocodile, while Blackberry chills in a corner.

Blackberry and Summer nom the crocodile, while Constance and Edam curl up together - they were the two that had a little spat.

Blackberry, Elfreda and Clover.

Once I know they're definitely happy together I'll upgrade them to a bigger tub, as although they're various ages and some (Summer for example as her back legs are getting worse) don't do much, I'd still like them to have more space.

Comments

• _Tilly1712_Tilly1712 Legacy
    They're all gorgeous, but wow - I'm loving Blackberry :love:
    They're all really cute :)
  • _NuttySian_NuttySian Legacy
    Thanks all :)
    Blackberry is tamer than Hazel and Willow so I get to see and enjoy two sides of the Zebra mice. I'm not sure if they're aware of each others presence or not, they're only a few feet apart so I would assume they can smell each other, I haven't noticed any changes in behaviour though.

I can't really take any credit for it Ann! PV sent her to the vets and had been dosing the baytril, we just carried it on.

We think it may be stress related though and that's why it hasn't gotten "that" bad.
    She started scratching around the same time one of the other girls got ill (sadly she didn't make it), but now that bit is over, and the stress of the move and intros is getting less we're hoping it'll continue to heal.

This pic was taken the other day, the difference isn't huge but it is there.

Gentle scritches for Mowbli x I hope the cream continues to help.
    Everyone is still doing well, Summer's back legs are sadly getting worse but she's still getting around really well and is eating and drinking still.

I did get woken this morning by squeaking, but by the looks of it, it wasn't anything nasty.
    Blackberry bless him, has taken a shine to the cake cases I use to put their wet foods in, he'll sniff the food and maybe have a bite, then tip it out and run off with the case!! :lol:
    From what I could see this morning, someone had dared to move one and he was just being vocal about it.

I've found their next tub online, just hoping the shop we usually use has it in. It's longer and taller so I can fit a shelf in as well as more things! :D

Constance says look at meeeee (I had to remove the yellow maze and Blackberry decided to chew it!)

I wonder where Blackberry is.. I can't see him! :lol:

Big squishy pile I found them in yesterday, no idea how many are in there lol. :love:

Serif and Fred (well, part of her lol)

Miss oldie Edam :kiss: She's got a slight problem with one eye and one ear but neither look bad.

Blackberry again, and Serif sneaking away lol.

Clover, Ebony and Iblis.

Ebony.
    We managed to get all the girls out into the photo tent the other day.
    Blackberry let me scoop and stroke him, but looked like he'd prefer some time out alone so we left him in the tub!

Ebony is still very jumpy, but once Mum got hold of her she was very good.

Fred and Clover wait for their cuddles (even though they'd already had lots lol)

Constance

Clover was disappointed I didn't have real seeds on my top!

How many mice can fit in one house? :lol:

Noms time!

Summer

Ily

Iblis

Serif is still healing nicely :)

I think Edam is looking great for over 2, although as you can see her left eye has become cloudy.
    The group were moved into their new tub last week. It's a pain in the butt to move but it's given them much more room.

It doesn't show it all but you get the idea.

Blackberry has a new fave place - the stack-a-fuzz!

The lower bit of Serif's wound is just about gone and the rest is still healing well :)

Ily and Edam aren't with them at the moment, they're in a combi cage as they're both needing medication.
    Ily's ear has split, and although it looks to be healing nicely she's on baytril for about 4 days just to make sure no infection pops up.

And Edam now has an infection in her eye so is on the baytril for 7 days, and has fucithalmic drops too.
    The new cage looks great :) I love that picture of Blackberry too

I hope both Ily and Edam are better soon for you
    Could you tell me what fungal cream it was please Ann? Sounds like it's worth a go for Ily.
    I put her back into the main tub as she was on/off scratching in the combi, she settled back in nicely but there's still something going on with the ears! Serif has also had a slight "flare up" but thankfully the skin still looks normal, it's just messed up a bit of what was nearly healed.

Edam is still in the combi, with Fred keeping her company. I stopped the baytril and changed to septrin, but still the eye didn't seem to change, so we went back to the vets. She said it will possibly never heal properly or will take a long time to do so, but as there was no sign of infection I could stop the septrin. She said carrying on with metacam would be a good idea though as there was signs of swelling, which is why she's still in the combi!

She doesn't fight for her food bless her, she'll let anyone take it, so getting a treat with meds on into her twice a day is much easier in a small cage.

Sadly though, she's gotten worse over the last week and I think she may be nearing her time. I don't know if it's something to do with her eye, or just her age - 2 years and 3 months old now! She's losing weight despite still eating and drinking, and her breathing is odd. I'm hoping she'll go in her sleep, but I may have to take her back to the vets for the last time :(

Fred bless her is being a lovely friend and looking after her, cuddling up with her wherever she lays :love:

I'm so very proud of how Fred has progressed since I got her, and the 28th was her second birthday!
    Here she is with a bit of a treat.

As for the rest of the gang, I thought the squeaking I keep hearing might be because of Clover. I don't know if she was the boss before, but when it comes to food she has taken over as boss and will steal from the others if she thinks they have something better! Some just let her do it, others protest.

However, when I hear the squeaking and look round, Clover is sometimes sat there on her own! So I'm a bit confused. I'm wondering if it's maybe Ebony and Blackberry messing around, they don't seem to hate each other but still haven't settled totally. There's not been any war wounds so I don't think there's a big problem.
    I'm sorry Edam isn't doing brilliantly :( I do love the pics of the big group though and you've given me a few toy ideas too :D
    I'm sorry about Edam but its lovely that Fred stayed with her so that she had company. I hope Fred gets over her loss soon poor girl :(

Good luck with sorting things out long term and yup, you gave me a few good ideas thanks :) Course now this does mean that our next food shopping trip will be hijacked as I see every item in the supermarket as a potential mouse toy but that happens a few times a year, its all fun :P
    I didn't get the chance to try the cream on Ily, I found her passed away yesterday :( Very sudden and no obvious reason for it.

Have put it on Serif, hopefully it'll will help. Her wound still looks "healthy" it just needs a bit of help to heal quicker.
    Sorry to hear about Ily :(
    Thanks all x

Serif is being a good girl with the cream, she wriggled when I held her and Mum put the cream on, so last night we swapped and she stayed still :)

Her and Ebony were "ok" together, but I could see Serif wasn't 100% happy. So... we had another move around :oops:

Ebony now has a bin cage all to herself (I didn't want to risk her with the imac, she reminds me too much of Phoebe!!), with lots of things to explore to keep her busy, it'll make it easier for us to have one on one time with her too. I would still like to get her a friend or two, but I think it's going to be difficult to find the right match for her.

And to keep Serif company, I put Clover in with her. Clover is a bit like Ebony in that she's quite active but she's better at the whole being social thing! The change in Serif was instant and she's now acting a lot happier which will hopefully aid the wound healing!

That leaves, Blackberry, Fred, Iblis and Constance in the main tub, seems very odd only have 4 in there, even temporarily!
    It looks like the cream is working!

Some bits are worse than the last pic because of her flare up, but the lower down bit has now lost the scabs and has hair coming back.

She's also much more comfy as she's using the wheel more often and doesn't look awkward when climbing :)

I still need to move them into the duna, haven't been able to get out to the shed in this crappy weather, luckily neither seem too bored.

The 4 in the tub are missing them and aren't coming out as much, but they're still eating and drinking so they're ok!

And Ebony seems to be enjoying her tub, I'm talking to her a lot which she seems to like, she'll come and sit and look at me lol. She's also loving having a wheel all to herself.
    I'm really glad the cream seems to be working :D

I hope the four stop missing them soon though
    Ann, you're an angel! The cream is doing really well, we've even managed to cut it down to every other day.

They're doing ok in the mini duna, but I'm hoping they'll be back with the others soon.
    I got a new tub for them all as it's only Blackberry and Clover using the extra height and it's not often so it's a bit wasted!
    They all used it for the first month or so but now they can't be bothered lol. So I've got a tub that's the same length and width, but back to the height of their first one. It'll still have Blackberry's bendy bridge of course, where he likes to sit and get some peace from his girls!

What, me?

It'll also be easier for me to move, so Clover and Serif can go back in but Serif can still be easily gotten at for the cream.
    And it'll be easier to keep an eye on the others too - Fred has a lump but we're hoping it's just an abscess or cyst as it looks "poppable", and Constance is looking a bit too big at the moment but we're hoping it's just a food belly as I forgot to change to amount of food when I took Clover and Serif out!
    Well, we moved everyone into the new tub and it was fine, until Fred's lump changed.

Took her to get it checked, it's a tumour :evil: It looked odd because it had ulcerated. He gave us some fuciderm to put on to stop it ulcerating again and then getting infected, and she's been so good letting us put it on.

And then of course there were the two options, keep on with the cream and keep her happy and comfy until the lump is too much, or operate on it as it's a good size and a relatively good position.

Although she's now over 2, she isn't acting it, so her and Serif are at the vets tonight (as Serif is still having cream on too it made sense to put them together in the combi), and Fred will be operated on in the morning.

I'd rather risk her not coming round, than see her go downhill with the lump.

I didn't take that option with some previous mice but they had multiple lumps that were growing very quickly, and with 1 I'd already had her sister operated and the lumps came back.

I know Fred's could still come back, but as it hasn't grown at all I'm hopeful it'll be different this time and stay away.

So, if you could spare some good thoughts for Fred tomorrow, I'd really appreciate it.
  • Good luck to you and Fred, I really hope the surgery goes well :)
    She's come through ok! :) Going to pick her up at 5.
  • Thats great news :)
    Before and after

They recommend I keep her separate from Serif for the first 3 days, just to give the wound a good start on healing. I still don't think Serif will do anything, but better safe than sorry.
  • I hope the three days apart go quickly for them :)
    We put them back together Thursday night and everything seems to be going ok, although today we noticed Fred is missing some stitches! :roll:

The wound is closed nicely though so it hasn't done any damage.

Serif's skin is also looking bad today, I'm hoping it's just because of the vets and the separation and that it'll settle back down.

The other guys are doing ok, Blackberry likes all the girls but is much happier now that Clover is back so she's obviously his number one!

And Ebony.... well Ebony will be getting her own thread as she has some new friends! :D
    Serif's flare up has gotten a lot worse overnight and there is now dead skin. We have no idea what has actually happened but it isn't great. She's also damaged her left front leg somehow, she's still using it but it's swollen.

Took her to the vets today and it's 50/50 if she's going to be able to heal. We've got intrasite gel to put on instead of the other cream, it will hopefully stop it all scabbing up at the same time which will give the skin a better chance of not getting overstretched. We've also started her on baytril to hopefully keep infection away.

They could potentially operate, but she would most likely lose the bad leg.

She's still happy and eating and drinking which is good.

All we can do is wait and see :|
  • I'm sorry to hear about Serif, I hope she manages to recover from this
    Well she's only had 2 lots of the gel on so far but she actually seems to like it! At least we're hoping her lack of wriggling now is because she likes it.

What she doesn't like is the baytril, which is to be expected lol. We're having to syringe it in as her and Fred are the first rodents to resist the special med treats!!
    They're crunchy with a soft filling and I have 3 flavours, Fred liked one but didn't want the other 2, and Serif didn't want any of them! :shock:
  • Thats great news about the gel but good luck with the baytril... I hope it all helps her get better soon :)
    Fred is all healed, just need the fur to grow back and all traces of the op will be gone!
    This was her on the 11th, when the last stitch vanished.

As for Serif, touchwood it's all working!
    This was her on the 11th too

And this was her yesterday!

A close up shows that there is subcut fat showing because the skin split, but all the dead skin looks to have gone and it is trying to heal.

The leg is also doing better despite a small cut on it, we're back to the vets on Tuesday for a check up.
    The vet was surprised but very pleased with how Serif is going :) We're not out of the woods yet because of where the skin has split, but the skin is healthy and trying to heal which is great.

Got to carry on with the baytril and gel, and go back in two weeks this time (unless it gets worse).

The other guys are doing ok, I do think they're missing Fred and Serif but they're still getting on with life in the tub which is good.