Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Nimlet and Scrabble

We got these two last Saturday at Bath hamster show, we found them on the sales table as hams who had to go as a pair. Nimlet was busy being adorable and quickly did a very good job of convincing us that he needed to bring his brother to come and live with us. They've settled in well and currently really seem to enjoy having each other for company so we're following a lot of good advice very, very carefully in the hopes of letting them stay together as long as they want to. We are keeping a very close eye and ear on them so that we're ready to separate them as soon as they stop being completely sure they want the company (chinese hams are notorious for falling out, often suddenly and with little warning).

Comments

• _Pomtreez_Pomtreez Legacy
    Ooh cute, congrats! Hopefully they decide to get along, but at least you have a backup plan. :)
    Thanks :) We wouldn't get a pair of hamsters if we weren't able to keep them separate, we hope they stay together because they're happy together but either way they'll have good lives here now
    Good luck with your dwarf hams when the time comes Pomtreez, I think you'll know this but if/when you do get a pair I'd suggest starting with something thats not chinese. We're being really careful with these two after some of the horror stories we've heard and they're being treated completely differently to our past pairs (and to Polly and Boo the hybrid pair we have at the moment).

Our chinese all definetly have more climbing abilities than most hams, Nut (our first chinese) has never got the concept of gravity and I don't think any of our others get it either lol. We haven't really given Nimlet and Scrabble many chances to walk off the edge of things yet and they are being fairly cautious so far, but none of the rest (Nut, Coco and Crackle) are too daft. They all have shelves and hammocks and stuff in their cages and navigate it far more safely than Nelly (syrian) did when he had a hammock recently. Nelly has been the worst of our syrians when it comes to safely getting down from things, he's the only one yet to actually make me flinch watching him get down from a sputnik lol
    The boys are 10 weeks now, they were born on the 15th of May this year :)

Most people do reccomend separating chinese from the start but as they had to go as a pair and we have a few years of experience with ham pairs of other species we decided to give them a chance together, just to separate far faster than we would if a hybrid or robo pair started to show signs of trouble. We also agreed to treat them very differently to our current hybrid pair - starting with their first cage here being so small we bought it as a carrier lol. We were told the smaller the better and we listened :)

I'm afraid the boys have been separated now (and you're getting this before HC as I was on micearenice when I spotted blood), Nimlet bit Scrabble this morning. There were no warning signs - not even as much as a squeak but blood is blood so they're separate and settling in to their new mini dunas now. They were still snuggling together so we're hoping the toys and wheels e.t.c will help distract them while they settle to life as single boys. I did get some new photos this morning so I'll put them up after work if I get a chance :)
    Nimlet has settled in pretty well, he seems quite happy alone. Scrabble is a little more jumpy but he seems ok, he's definetly getting everywhere - both boys have left sand in their sputniks (which're attatched to the barred lids of the mini dunas)
    Here're the pics I took right before separating them. Scrabbles bite is visible in a few photos but I'm pleased to say that its healing nicely now :)

Scrabble (and his bite and bloody cheek)

Scrabble at the front, Nimlet at the back

Nimlet (pretending to be all innocent...)

Both the boys (no I'm not even going to try and guess which is which lol)

Both are in this too, Scrabble is more visible (his bite and bloody cheek are also really visible)

Both boys again (Scrabble is most visible)

Both boys again (Nimlet in the tube, Scrabble by/under it)

You can see they were both still happy together and having looked at the photos again I now suspect the bite was so recent that we were actually in the room when it took place but if we were then there was no noise at all over it. Either way it happened and they're single but both are adjusting and should have long and happy lives as singletons now :)
    Yeah, we even had one cage waiting with bedding and substrate incase they needed separating at 4am or something. Instead this happened in daytime so I watched really really closely while my OH put substrate in more permanent single ham cages so they could each move straight to a decent cage (as opposed to the 4am separation plan where one stayed where he was and the other went to the nearest spare cage so he was safe while we went back to bed lol)
    Thanks both :)

At the moment its looking like the bite'll heal without any signs left but we'll see... I'm just glad that it wasn't worse, it was far too close to the eye - a little bit further and there'd be a much lower chance of Scrabble making a full recovery from it
This discussion has been closed.