Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Is there any sure way to know if she's blind?

Since BooBoo's mystery illness (which I suspect was a stroke) she hasn't been as active as before. She won't climb very much and she's very cautious. When she's in the cage she's not too bad but when she's out of the cage in a less familiar place, she's really cautious, more-so than before and she sort of feels stuff with her nose now when she walks. She'll press her nose against me when she's walking onto my hand. She also walked straight off my hand the other day and I wasn't quick enough to stop her but luckily she's okay. Does it mean she's blind? And will she cope okay? I try not to change the cage layout at the moment because of how nervous she sems

Comments

• _AnnB_AnnB Legacy
    Animals cope remarkably well with not being able to see. My old dog went blind and although I had to steer him around obstacles when out on a walk, nothing put him off enjoying the great outdoors. I do wonder whether there's more to BooBoo's issues than blindness though.
  • _GhostsInSnow_GhostsInSnow Legacy
    I'm thinking she may need a vet trip. She recovered from the illness pretty well, I mean she was back to her old self pretty much but...I don't know :( I don't think they can do much for her
    I had an inkling that was was a runt. She's so tiny in comparison, she might not even be from the same litter I know but Min is nearly double her weight and Moo is 10g heavier. There are no resp problems, she's getting around okay and still eating/drinking/wanting cuddles. I honestly am stuck as to what to do. She'll be a year old at the end of the month as will the other two. I know they're a good age for pet shop mice. Only one of my last trio made it to a year old. I just want what's best for her.
    It's so hard when it gets to this point :(
    I think I'm going to let her tell me what she needs. I'll keep her at home and see how she goes and maybe try and up her protein intake a little bit to try and get some weight back on. I do think, judging on my previous mice I've had, that she is showing a lot of the signs of old age and I just want to keep her as happy and peaceful as possible.
    I've weighed her today and she's lost 1g since mid-week so I'm monitoring her weight. I know 1g isn't a lot but I know it could quickly escalate if she keeps losing. She's had cuddles and dived in the food bowl when I filled it so she seems to still be a happy mousey
    I know no one can tell me what to do but I really need some advice and opinions.
    I've been monitoring BooBoo's weight and obviously generally keeping an eye on her. She's alert, still eating and drinking, still coming to the side of the cage to say hello and stuff, in fact, just watching her in the cage she seems normal apart from the caution when clambering over stuff.
    I weighed her mid-week last week and she was 28g, then again on Sunday (which is normal weighing day) and she'd lost a gram and is down to 27g. I've just weighed her today and she is now down to 26g. Now I know 2g doesn't seem a lot but with her already being small and coupled with everything else...well I am a little worried now. Also today, she seems to be stretching her left back leg out with every step and when she sits still her left front paw is scrunched up so I'm wondering if she's had another stroke during tonight/this morning?
    Do I take her to a vet or do I keep her comfortable at home? Normally my instinct would say to go straight to the vet but I'm really torn with BooBoo. It's absolutely freezing outside (I went out to check on our bunny this morning and her water had ice in it) and it keeps snowing so I know it wouldn't do BooBoo any good to be out in it. I don't even think she would survive the cold for the journey as we'd have to get the bus since my mum works til late Tuesday-Friday.
    I don't know if I'm doing the right thing either by keeping her home or by taking her to a vet. It's really tearing me up inside.
    Could people offer me some opinions or something? Tell me what you'd do?
    It will be Thursday when I take her as I have uni tomorrow. I would skip and take her but I've been off sick for the past two weeks and with us coming up to the Easter Holidays now I need to attend as many lectures as possible. I'm going to give her extra protein tonight and tomorrow, she's already been having a lot of extra mealworms but they don't seem to have helped. We do have porridge in and I have plenty of egg biscuit and a few Money nuts I saved from the old hamster mix that I got rid of plus sunflowers seeds so plenty of stuff to try and help with the weight.
    Plus if I can get her an appointment on Thursday morning, my mum can take us in the car as she doesn't start work until lunchtime.
    I do have a feeling that the end is nearing for her...y'know when you just have that feeling?
    In my heart I would rather her go peacefully with no stress but I know that there's a tiny chance she could pull through this and be okay again. I will see how she goes tonight and tomorrow night. That's what my gut is telling me to do.
    I really hate this part to having fuzzy babies. I really really wish mice lived longer
    I couldn't get her an appointment for that day in the end. I also had 3 weeks off uni with illness so I was at home monitoring her and I went with my heart and kept her at home. I know some may say it was the wrong thing to do but my heart and my gut were telling me to at least monitor her over that weekend.
    I am pleased to say her weight is stable at 27g and her fur has grown back and is lovely and shiny and she is like a new mouse. Honestly, she's playing, eating, cuddling just like when she was a baby. After fretting over how ill she was just after Christmas and obviously Moo too with her lump and the RI recurrencies, I am pleased to say they had their first birthday on Thursday and had lots of treats ^_^
  • _T-bear_T-bear Legacy
    I'm glad to read that BooBoo and Moo had their first B-day and Boo seems to have recovered and Moo is getting on well.

I will be keeping them in my prayers for good health etc.
    Thank you :)
    Because of everything, I never expected them to make a year (with the exception of Min) so to see them past their first birthday with Min healthy, BooBoo being so much better and Moo being in relatively good health all things considered...there aren't words for how happy, relieved and proud I am of my lil babies :)
This discussion has been closed.