Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Little bit chubby

Hello everybody!
The two girls, Zaynah and Basira are doing great, apart from one small thing, and I am not sure if I should be worried about it or not...Zaynah is almost double the size of Basira! I am a little worried that it's not good for her, but I cannot figure out why, they get pretty much the same amount of food as each other and they both get plenty of exercise, I don't go overboard on the treats or anything either, so I am a little confused :? Is it just that she could be born that way, as a bit of a chubber? Maybe being big is in her genetics or something? ;) Is there anything I should (or could) be doing about this?
Thanks everyone, have a nice day!
- Becky

Comments

• _AnnB_AnnB Legacy
    If both girls were a bit chubby I'd suggest lowering the protein content in their food but you're right, some mice are just prone to being chubsters and there seems to be little you can do about it.
  • _mousequeen!_mousequeen! Legacy
    I have four females living together, one of them is really quite round and one of them is super slim, i check their eating habits and they seem very similar to one another, im guessing they may just have different metabolisms? :)
  • _Mrscross78_Mrscross78 Legacy
    I have 10 girls mice and 1 of them is a chubby thing. I had 6 mice a few years ago and 2 of them were chubby too.... Not sure if its relevant but all my chubby mice have been fawn/cream in colour.
  • _lauren_lauren Legacy
    Certain varieties are more prone to chubbiness than others, fawns for example. I've had a fair few chubbers, some have been from the same litter and been totally different sizes. I do find that my fatter mice tend not to be as enthusiastic about running on the wheel but that's not always the case. If I have a chubby mouse I keep an eye on the treats but as said already, some are just prone to it.
  • _xXBeckyXx_xXBeckyXx Legacy
    Thanks everyone! yeah they are both as active as each other and their eating habits are pretty much the same, I guess Zaynah is just a born chubster ;) Which I don't mind, it just makes her more adorable...I didn't even know that was possible! She is the one in my profile picture, my other girl Basira is a creamy/fawny colour and she is the thin one!
    I guess if she gets any chubbier I will lower the protein content in there food but she seems to be staying the same kind of weight :D
    Again, thank you!!
    - Becky
This discussion has been closed.