Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Sunflower seed issues?

Hello everyone! :wave:

I did post a comment before on Lola making noises... I'm going to try and get her on camera doing it so you guys have a better idea on the noise she is making, but you'll have to wait until she does it again. :(

The other, day i noticed when i gave her a sunflower seed, once she finished eating it, she started to make them weird noises again. She was doing fine last week, didn't hear the noises, gave her a sun flower seed the other day and it started up again....

Could the sunflower seeds have this effect on her? - if it doesn't improve i will be taking her to a vet.

Comments

• _PresqueVu_PresqueVu Legacy
    One of my girls I've been told has a sunflower allergy, but that it causes skin irritation etc.

I don't know if it could cause other things - but certainly needs to be checked out if it persists. I'm guessing there have been no obvious changes in bedding/substrate etc? sometimes even using a new aresol or cleaning product nearby could affect them.

* have moved to health for you.
  • _lauren_lauren Legacy
    I might be the wood shavings - they're not often thought of as being particularly suitable for mice due to potential dust and phenols, especially if you use a sawdust type one. Have you thought about using something like Auboise/finacard/bedexcel?

If Susie was ill because of a tumor, unfortunately medication wouldn't have helped that specifically but may have treated anything that came up as a result of a weakening immune system. The tumor might have just been the starting point sadly :(

Keep an eye on it without the sunflower seeds, if the noise persists, I'd take her to the vets for some ABs :)
  • _lauren_lauren Legacy
    I hate carefresh, don't like the way it feels and it is so, so expensive.

You can buy bedexcel (also known as ecobed), finacard and hemcore here:

http://www.ratrations.com/bedding-and-substrate-c-60.html?zenid=cd57f66a327336ef296ad7657685dda6

From here you can buy in smaller quantities to see what suits you - postage is high though.

I buy my bedexcel (ecobale) from here:

http://www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk/horse-bedding/pid20444/cid358/ecobale-cardboard-bedding-20-kg-bale-pallet-of-28-.asp

It's a huge, huge bale and lasts for ages (depending on how many cages you have obviously)
    GJWtitmuss also sell auboise
This discussion has been closed.