Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Decisions for Pinky

I'm really at a loss as to what to do for Pinky, my boy who keeps chewing his skin off :( The vets have tried everything and the treatments worked for a little while and then he starts again - they've said there is nothing else they can do for him :( I tried, just on the off chance, putting him in a separate room to see if that would help. It has, a tiny bit, but he is absolutely miserable being in a room away from all the other mice. He always used to come running out to play whenever I was around or be playing in his wheel if he was locked in his cage, but even leaving his cage door open all night in the living room with toys set up for him and me nearby he won't come out. He looks really depressed and just sleeps in his food bowl. I took him upstairs to my room again last night to play just to see if it would cheer him up and he's been there today as well. He's running around playing again and waiting to get out his cage, but he's started scratching and chewing again :( I really don't know what to do - keep him in the living room where he gets depressed and clearly isn't happy, or leave him in the room where he will come out to play on his cage toys and run around to free range even though it means he is chewing himself more :( My heart is saying to keep him in the living room, but my head is saying it's better for him to enjoy himself even if it means I'm going to have to lose him or have him pts sooner because of what he is doing to himself :(

I really hate being a mouse mum just now :(

Comments

• _racingmouse_racingmouse Legacy
    Oh Roz, it`s so miserably stressing when faced with this, I feel for you and for wee Pinky. I don`t have any answers because his scratching comes from within and even if we move heaven and earth to make things easier for them, fate will always take it`s toll. I would guess that even if he had the company of others, he might still be at the mercy of this damn condition. I can only suggest perhaps short luke warm rinses maybe in a solution that calms the skin? An aloe vera preperation or maybe something from the vets that is safe if ingested? I`m clutching at straws really because that`s probably just a short term solution anyway.

But whether to keep him in the livingroom or your room? I would say your room where he at least has some mousie smells around. Females of course! ;)
  • _NuttySian_NuttySian Legacy
    Oh hun :(

:hug: for you both.

Do you want me to send you some of the Denes stuff I used with Jaq? It doesn't sound like it will help but could be worth a try anyway?
  • _Tilly1712_Tilly1712 Legacy
    Really sorry, Roz :hug: I'm afraid I don't have anything useful to add, but I hope he'll at least be happier being kept near some girlies :(
  • _T-bear_T-bear Legacy
    OH Roz,

My heart is breaking for pinky and you going through this contemptible situation.

My timothy had the same type of thing happen to him myself and the vet went through every thing that we could think of that would not hurt tim tim the last thing we tried was a oatmeal type bath with whole cows milk.

It worked for a bit, then he went at his skin like there was no end then I tried it with soy milk and it worked ,but by that time timmy damaged his skin to where he could hardly walk like a mouse but he did have an enjoyable 8 months I forgot how old he was when he said his good byes to me but he did snuggle my nose and went to sleep then went to the bridge I do know that he was at least 1yr and several months in age but his exact age I don't remember.

what strikes me weird is his brother Tobie is doing find with no health problems at all I know timmy's and Tobie's mother and father and done of the other litter's they had have any health problems and Tobie will be three in April of the coming year.

I'm sending Pinky and you my best and a few prayers that he will get better.
  • _lauren_lauren Legacy
    Oh Roz :( I can't offer any advice or words of wisdom but sending you and Pinky :hug:
  • _Sanctuary_Sanctuary Legacy
    I read through the whole thread and I am so sorry he has gone, you did everything you could and so much more to help him.
    If it was the way you said then he would have just fallen asleep with no pain.
    *hugs* xx
  • _T-bear_T-bear Legacy
    Pinky you fought the good fight may you rest knowing that Roz loves you.

Roz I'm heart broke that pinky left you but rest in that you went above and beyond un everything you done for Pinky.
  • _Tilly1712_Tilly1712 Legacy
    I'm so sorry, Roz :hug:

You did everything you could for him and I'm sure he thanks you for that. Run free Pinky :angel:
  • _NuttySian_NuttySian Legacy
    Big hugs again hun :hug: You did everything you could for him.
This discussion has been closed.