Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

first aid kit?

Yet another question from me! :wave:

It sounds like mice get ill quite often - do people have emergency first aid supplies for this, and if so what? I looked on the Fun Mouse website and it suggested a number of things, however some of them (like the antihistamine cream) we don't get in the shops over here.

Things I might get/have already:
- antiseptic cream (is the human stuff suitable for mice? I've seen one specifically for animals but it was very expensive)
- kitten milk replacement (although I read on Crittery that you can use Complan, which I actually have a large supply of - is the milk a better option?)
- cotton wool pads for wiping eyes, cleaning wounds

Any other suggestions would be welcome - and yes, I've been doing a ridiculous amount of thinking about my as-yet imaginary mice! :P

Comments

• _AnnB_AnnB Legacy
    You're going to be the most prepared mouse keeper I've ever known!

I haven't used an antiseptic cream on my mice, they do tend to lick themselves after you put anything on them so you have to be a bit careful (although my vet always gives me a look like I'm worrying too much when I ask him if it's safe to put stuff on mice). He suggested I moisturise one of my mice once which had me in fits of giggles. I keep salt in my first aid kit so I can make up a saline solution (1 teaspoon salt to 1 pint warm water) and I also have hibiscrub to make up a similar solution for bathing wounds. Cotton buds as well as cotton wool pads are useful. I tend to keep a stock of Xeno 50-mini spot-on for treating mites.

Obviously you can't buy a supply of medicine like Baytril without it being prescribed but it's really useful if mice will readily take a treat from you as it's a good way of giving them medicine if it becomes necessary, so following a tip from one of the other members on here, I now keep a supply of Beaphar Malt Paste for Ferrets. Most mice go crazy for the stuff and I get my mice used to licking a tiny blob off my finger, then I just mix the medicine with the blob of malt paste if required. If you have a particularly keen mouse (like I have at the moment) you can put the malt paste on a biscuit if you don't want to lose a finger.
  • _lauren_lauren Legacy
    Ratwarehouse used to do a first aid kit -

I would suggest adding some 1ml syringes, malt paste/nutrical for fattening up ill mice/getting meds in, hibiscrub (as above) and possibly some vet bed.

You are going to have some very lucky mousies!
This discussion has been closed.