Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Miguel is scratching

For about three or four weeks now, Miguel has been scratching. I've treated him for mites with Xeno and I've been bathing the back of his neck with a saline solution and then using a foot powder to dry the area which seems to be helping a little but there's no denying that gradually it's getting worse. I hate this OCD scratching even more than I hate tumours!

So the question is, has anyone found a miracle cure yet? Should I ask the vet to give him a steroid injection (which hasn't helped my other mouse who has the same problem) or should I just continue with the current treatment and pray he doesn't make himself too sore?

Has anyone tried an alternative mite treatment to the Xeno (Frontline for dogs/cats for instance)?

Comments

• _Kallan_Kallan Legacy
    I have cans of RIP Flea at home because I'm allergy to biting insects and have a cat. One of my males started at the base of his ears, I sprayed some RIP Flea around the base of his cage at cleaning out time and the scabs went away.
  • _Tilly1712_Tilly1712 Legacy
    Sorry to hear about Miguel, Ann, and I hope the new powder works - everything crossed for him.

Have you ever tried stronghold? My vet prescribed it once for a pair of fuzzy does. They'd scratched themselves raw and I'd given up hope but surprisingly it worked and they lived a good while longer without any further problems. I can't remember the dose but it was a tiny drop just the same as with xeno50.
    This is good to know and one to remember for all our mice. I'm really pleased there is some improvement, Ann, and I hope it continues. :)
    I wonder if the three days ties in with the cycle of the mites? or something like that. It's great that you've been able to keep on top of it though, Ann.
    He certainly looks quite content, Ann, so you've obviously been doing all the right things. He's a lovely boy :)
  • _littlejen_littlejen Legacy
    Hope it's ok to post here,I have some mitey questions so thought I would add to this thread!

My lone boy (Frodo) now looks quite sore between his ears where he's scratched off a scab.

Would you advise taking him to the vet to get any kind of cream and/or anti histamine treatment/anti biotic treatment?
    Or would it be just as effective to try and treat him myself using the methods you all employ?

-I worry the saline wash will make sting and make him sore! And is foot powder ok to put on quite raw looking skin?
    Also I've seen a few of you recommending Xeno 50. Looked online and saw it for ?23..does that price sound about right or is there anywhere a bit cheaper?

Thanks in advance!
    Jen
This discussion has been closed.