Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

small bald patch

Noticed today while moving my girls into their new imac fantasy that megan has a small bald patch between her ears, after some observation phoebe seems very twitchy and itchy aswell, Have ordered some Xeno50 mini to treat in case of mites, but have read that this could also be due to many other things like stress and too much protien in the diet? Is this correct? what things can should i be trying.

Comments

• _racingmouse_racingmouse Legacy
    Hi Connie, it could be a case of naturally occurring mites or even barbering, but treating both girls with some Xeno50 won`t go wrong, it`s good stuff. So is that your cage arrived then? :)
  • _Connie_Connie Legacy
    Here we go :P

We are more than happy with it...the miceys havnt figured out there are more than just the bottom level yet, but im sure they will get there. they climb up the tube, get to the top and then turn around and go back!
  • _Connie_Connie Legacy
    Here we go :P

We are more than happy with it...the miceys havnt figured out there are more than just the bottom level yet, but im sure they will get there. they climb up the tube, get to the top and then turn around and go back!
  • _zany_toon_zany_toon Legacy
    I'd try the xeno50 first to see if it's mite related first and do a complete course to see if it helps. It does sound like mites if you are seeing twitching and itching, just make sure you treat them all at the same time :) Mites can also be brought on by stress so it could be stress of moving has brought it on.

As for diet too much protein can cause itching - protein levels are (as far as I can remember) to be between 14 and 16% for mice as anything higher can cause hot spots of itching. If it was that though I would have thought that you would have seen it before now, so will keep my fingers crossed that it is mites :)

*Mod note* Have split the talk about the cage into a separate thread in the Cage and Environments section so that this section can concentrate on the health issue, which will be easier for other people to follow in future too if they have a similar problem.
This discussion has been closed.