Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Worried about William

As you know, I've recently taken on two boys from Mickelmarsh Mouse House. Ron is neutered and William isn't. William has a number of warts and I keep finding tiny new ones on him. I've had mice before that have developed warts and I know they can bleed when knocked. Unfortunately William does get in some tussles with Ron and although there haven't been any serious injuries, these warts have been bleeding - the one above his eye has bled profusely tonight and he seems to have gone into shock. Thank goodness he is starting to look a bit better now and the bleeding has finally stopped but in the short term, what can I do to stem the bleeding (considering it's right by his eye)?

In the longer term, I really don't know whether I'll need to separate the two. I'd consider having William neutered in the hope that he'd be less excitable with Ron but he's already over a year old and the warts might be also be an indication of something more major going on so I'm not sure it would be a good idea.

Comments

• _Kipperbo1_Kipperbo1 Legacy
    Well, you should not keep two males together anyways, they will definitely fight, they are territorial. I would get another cage because even if neither of them are getting really hurt now, one of them probably will eventually. I would separate them just to be sure. As for the warts, I have no clue. :(
  • _Gilbert_Gilbert Legacy
    Ann, remember when Psycho had her wart/skin tag come up? Roz suggested I get a styptic pencil for that reason. I did get one but I never got to use it on poor Psyc's but it's perfect for little incidences like that. Its a good little piece of equipment for the mousey medicine cabinet :)

Hope Williams ok now and recovering :/
  • _zany_toon_zany_toon Legacy
    A styptic pencil or a powder might be handy for in future Ann. With it being near his eye the powder might be safer and just tap a tiny piece on with a cotton bud - the other liquid types might move towards his eye a little so I would think that powders might be a bit safer. As for whether or not to keep them together, only you will be able to tell if William is pestering Ron enough to do that :(

Odd question though - if the warts are a sign of something else, do you think that might be why William is attacking? I've not seen it happen much with my groups (male or female) but I have had one or two cases of siblings attacking and squabbling with brothers/sisters they normally get on well with and a short while later something has shown up.

Kipperbo, males can live together with some alterations and care although not always. When a male mouse is neutered it increases the chances they can live with other males by a huge amount so they don't always need to live alone. I've got 4 all male groups at the moment, some neutered, some not. I've also had numerous other all male groups over almost six years of keeping them and have kept many of them together (both unneutered and neutered) until they passed from old age - mice are a bit of a law unto themselves!!
  • zany_toon" post=43851 said:
    Odd question though - if the warts are a sign of something else, do you think that might be why William is attacking? I've not seen it happen much with my groups (male or female) but I have had one or two cases of siblings attacking and squabbling with brothers/sisters they normally get on well with and a short while later something has shown up.
    We've had that too, Dusk was rejected at the same time as Stitch but the first sign she was ill too wasn't until a few days after the girls had moved to their own cage.

I'd definetly keep trying to keep them together. If William likes the company then he'll be far happier if you don't give up :) Is there any chance of moving them away from the females just incase that helps?
This discussion has been closed.