Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Jerry's sores and hair loss :( - with picture

I just looked at Jerry today and he's always scratched since I got him, but suddenly he has hair loss and sores on the back of his neck. He's started scratching even more, pretty much nonstop at the moment. Do you think there's anything that can be done if it's compulsive? I don't know what made it worse suddenly. I guess I need to call the vet in the morning.

Tonight he crawled out of the cage and onto my hand for the first time! And bit me. lol Good thing he didn't sink his teeth in.

Comments

• Poor thing :( Not sure whats going on but I hope he's ok
  • _Pomtreez_Pomtreez Legacy
    Thanks Kryll, I don't know either.
  • _Gilbert_Gilbert Legacy
    Poor lad. Have you ever treated him and his environment for mites? The other thing to consider is speaking to your vet about getting him neutered as maybe he is lonely. Eric did (and Ernie does at the moment) look like this. The boys are brothers and did live together until they fell out. Erics scratching and self mutilation stopped as soon as I introduced him to Mabel and I am optimistic that, once Ernie is clear to have some lady friends (he was only neutered two weeks ago) his scratching will ease up.
  • _SOFdeLUX_SOFdeLUX Legacy
    It looks like mites to me.
    In Denmark it's easily treated with a drug called Stronghold - it's for cats and dogs.
    You just give the mouse one drop of it on the skin. Normally it's in the neck but with all those sores I would give it on the back (lift the fur and give a drop on the skin).
    It works quit fast and in about 2-3 days you will see improvement.
    Thanks everyone. Well this should be fun because he's not tame. Lol I think he's too old to risk neutering. I rescued him from a shelter and I think he's about 1yr 8mo old. Wouldn't my hamsters be affected with mites too? Thanks!
    I have an appt for Jerry at 2:30 today. I'll report back how it goes. :)
    Thank you Ann! :)
    I have no idea of the timescale difference between here and where you are but I'll be watching for any updates.

Good luck Jerry :-)
    Thank you Gilbert. :)

Update: Jerry was not tame enough for the vets to do any tests unless she put him to sleep, so she said it's likely mites as others here said. He broke out all over in sores so she gave him a mite medicine and antibiotics in case of a skin infection and will follow up in 10 days. I put him in a temp cage til I take the time to clean out his cage properly. The vet thinks he's had them since I got him from the shelter.
  • I hope the meds help get him sorted out for you :)
    Thank you Kryll, I hope so too! Poor little guy.
    Does anyone know how long it takes to kill off the mites? I forgot to ask the vet. In any case, just as she suggested, I washed out the cage with hot water and soap, including the plastic toys and threw out the paper stuff. I'll have to put the rope/fabric toys in the oven on low temp or freeze them. I put fresh bedding in the cage but I've decided not to put him back in that cage until I think he's mite-free. It's a difficult cage to thoroughly clean (I believe it's similar to the Alexander). In the mean time he is doing well in his temp cage. :) He's scratching less but does have a large bald patch near his rear. I cannot believe how quickly it affected him! Yesterday night I saw the sores on his neck and couldn't find them anywhere else, and today he had them all over his face and body.

Thank you both have. :) I sure hope it is wiped out soon! The Dr gave him Noromectin. It was supposed to be by injection but he's not tame enough so she made a drop out of it. He is also getting Baytril 2x a day and already scratching less. He was distracted by his wheel. I think it's easier to give him the medicine in his current cage since it's smaller and he has less places to go to. But, I didtracted him with a sunflower seed. The Baytril is also topical.
    :( Oh poor boy. Its so horrible seeing them like that. I hope the new med plan helps, nothing worse than having to watch them do this to themselves
  • I'm sorry hes so bad and hope hes better soon
  • _Tilly1712_Tilly1712 Legacy
    Poor Jerry, so sorry he's no better. Sending good luck wishes and I hope the meds soon start to work, x
    Thank you, I hope so too! The first time I tried to administer the oral Baytril, he slipped out of my hands twice so I had to let it go because he was really stressed out. But this morning and tonight, I was successful! I feel awful soaking him with the spray but it's better than not doing it and watching him itch. He seems to do be doing well activity wise. I don't have much in his cage and I feel bad about that too, but the more stuff I have in there, the more places he has to hide when I am trying to get him out. So he has his sputnik (on the ground), wheel, toilet roll, food, and water (and bedding of course).
    His skin is looking better today, almost no redness, compared to Thursday when it looked like his skin was on fire. Mice sure can jump high! I put him in a tall container for med time and he was still able to reach the top!

Thank you Racingmouse. :) I think the vet is trying to be aggressive with the oral medication and make sure he gets all of it quickly and concentrated. It's ok though because I'm getting the hang of it. It's a good experience too because I had no idea how to handle Jerry and now I do. I'm feeling more confident we can work/attempt taming when he's feeling better.
  • I'm glad he's looking better now :)
    Pleased to read he's looking a lot better. It comes on so quickly sometimes. I remember how bad I felt when I found Eric looking in such a mess. I felt like such a bad mouse mum at the time, but the reality is this can and does take hold very quickly. Good luck with the continued treatment and I hope I Jerry continues to come on in leaps and bounds :-)
    Thank you Zany. :) There's a more updated thread for him when I needed to ask another question: http://www.micearenice.co.uk/new/index.php/forum/feeding-and-nutrition/45163-jerry-update-food-help-please

He's not showing too much improvement in my opinion, but I'll be taking him to the vet next week for a checkup and see what they think. I've tried every treatment possible I think. He still scratches all the time.
This discussion has been closed.