Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Tail Chewing

Looking for a wee bit of advice. Jasper was neutered last Thursday, everything went well and he recovered nicely but he has started chewing his tail. The vet has started him on baytril. Does anyone have any advice on anything I could do to minimise any damage he's doing? He had a lovely wee pink tip to his tail which has now gone :o

Comments

• _AnnB_AnnB Legacy
    He might have experienced a lack of oxygen during the operation, I've heard that it sometimes causes ears to shrivel but I haven't heard about it affecting a tail before.

Have you treated him for mites recently?

My latest discovery for mice that are scratching themselves is Terbinafine cream (Lamisil) which you can buy over the counter. It might be worth giving that a try or even just bathing the tail in a saline solution (1 teaspoon salt to 1 pint warm water).
  • _Mouse Lover_Mouse Lover Legacy
    Thanks for the reply, he's not been scratching, just started biting his tail and has chewed off the end. I wondered if it was the stress of being neutered and being at the vets for a day that caused him to start chewing. The next few weeks can't go quick enough till I can introduce him to the girls which will hopefully take his mind of chewing his tail!
  • _Gilbert_Gilbert Legacy
    I don't know if you've already done this or can do it (thinking space wise) but my two boys who started pressing their personal self destruct buttons were helped immensely when, following advice offered on here, I put their cage right up against the bars of the girls they were going to eventually be living with. It helped to take their minds off things in that interim period whilst I was waiting to be able to introduce them. I also think it helped with intros as they'd already kind of met by that stage
    Thats a good suggestion Gilbert I will need to do a bit of rearranging but will be worth a try.
    Thats a good suggestion Gilbert I will need to do a bit of rearranging but will be worth a try.
    UPDATE: Poor wee Jasper had his tail amputated today, the tissue died off on it and they took it off this morning to try and stop the tissue dying off further up. He appears to have come through the op okay, hopefully he wont start chewing another body part now that he has no tail. :(
    He's running around like normal this morning, he just looks weird without a tail!
    Its not an issue at the moment as he's in a mini duna and I took the shelf out to stop him monkey barring after his op, but he will soon be moving into the Barney with the girls so will have to keep an eye on him then.
This discussion has been closed.