Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Female neighbors?

I cannot get Jerry neutered due to his health and age, or a female spayed due to the very high cost, but my vet has mentioned a few times, it's too bad Jerry can't have a companion. She suggested moving his cage close to a hamster. He was near my Chinese hamster but Beanie is not very active, so I put him by my Syrian. The hamsters are nocturnal and he is not. I do realize this is not for the hamster's benefit. lol So, I was wondering if Jerry would enjoy having girl mice next to him in another cage, or would that be torture or pointless since he couldn't cuddle with them or groom together? He's depressed with the collar on his neck. I know that's just temporary but adds to his stressed-induced scratching. Thanks in advance for your input!

Comments

• _AnnB_AnnB Legacy
    I don't think it would make him any more stressed. When I go away in the motorhome all my mice are side by side in their cages (with a little gap so they can't nip any overhanging tails). I have entire, single boys and groups of girls and they do seem to be quite curious of each other but I've never noticed the males getting so stressed that they start to chew the cage bars or anything.

However, I recently thought it would be nice to introduce Mowbli to my new girls to see if that would take his mind of the scratching. I was expecting as an entire male that he would be really interested in them but because he gets so much attention from me and because his scratching behaviour has been going on for some time now, he wasn't in the slightest bit interested in them.
This discussion has been closed.