Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Neutering

Can males live together after neutering? Or is it best to put them with females for company?

Anyone have any experience with neutering ?

Risks?
Cost?

Any help /thoughts much appreciated :D

Comments

• _AnnB_AnnB Legacy
    In my own experience it's really easy to introduce neutered males back to each other if they've been neutered whilst still quite young. It seems to take longer for male hormones to settle once the mouse has reached 12 weeks and you would need to wait 4-6 weeks after the operation before trying to re-introduce them. You would also need to wait that long before introducing them to any girls.

There are always risks with surgery and some vets may not be prepared to do it. I paid ?56 per mouse but you could well find it cheaper depending where you're based.
  • _PresqueVu_PresqueVu Legacy
    It's a hard decision to make I think, and not one I've had to do. I think it's very important to have a vet who has done the operation before or who has enough small animal experience. They do need to be a decent size I think to give them the best chances and as Ann says, there is the waiting period afterwards before they are safe to put with girls. Not all neutered males lose the impulse to hump the girls though, and that can cause squabbles!

I've taken on a few neutered males, but never put an intact one through the operation. The neutered males I've had have been lovely, calm and gotten on well with their girls. I know people have had success mixing neutered and intact males together (although not intact males who have been with a female) but this obviously depends on their personalities.
  • _Gilbert_Gilbert Legacy
    I have had 3 males done now and would get another done without hesitation. It does scare me putting them through a GA but so far all of them have been absolutely fine and literally up and about very soon after the op with no after effects. My oldest male Cookie was neutered when he was 9 weeks old and he is now sixteen months old. The other two boys I've had done were a pair but fell out when they were coming up for a year old. So they were neutered a few weeks apart when they were either side of a year old. I had intended to reintroduce them when they were both neutered but as they stressed out and started OCD scratching I hurriedly paired them with some females instead and they have never been reunited. I did try to make one large groups out of both boys and their harems but it was such an uneasy truce and some of the girls were tiny and not too well so I didn't push it, I just kept them in two groups of three instead.

Costwise? My vets charge me ?25 per mouse

Risk? I think providing your mouse is healthy and there is no underlying health problem that you may not know about then there a good chance of the operation being a success. I think I'm right in saying that Tracey from Primrose Mouse Rescue has only lost one boy out of all she has had done (and its a lot!) and he had a health issue going on. Having had the the two boys, Eric & Ernie, both get stressed and suffer through being separated and living alone personally I would not hesitate to do neuter again if the need arose
    We've put nine male mice in for neutering, eight came through their surgery and eventually became part of a large group containing both males and females. We did lose Conker during his surgery but despite that we do believe opting to get the boys neutered was the right choice for all of them, they all seemed less happy alone than they had been together and they all stood to gain a heck of a lot, Conker was actually the least happy alone and while it was sad to lose him I do believe it was in his best interests to take the risk of surgery.

It cost us ?35 per mouse and we would only ever put healthy males in for the surgery, with the nine who had the operation we believe they all stood a high chance of getting through it. We have two single males we've opted against getting neutered because (despite being healthy) we feel they're both bad candidates for surgery and they're both completely content alone so wouldn't benefit from the surgery as much as our other boys did.

We still have most of the males we've had neutered and they really get on well now, they do hump the females in the group and that can cause a few squeaks but generally the group get along really well and we're glad we decided to get the boys neutered :)
  • _Sweetsqueaks_Sweetsqueaks Legacy
    Thankyou to everyone for the replies, :)
    One other option I've been looking into is putting an intact male with a female asf for company, does anyone have any experience with this?
    :)
  • _NuttySian_NuttySian Legacy
    You have April, they said a female asf - as in multimammate.

Depending on the personalities, it could work. There's also the zebra mouse option, from what I've read though the asf route seems to have more success.

Taken from Crittery's site - "Multimammate mice are one of the very few examples where rodent species can cohabit, since they can live with normal Fancy Mice. This is usually done in a male mouse/female multimammate and male multimammate/female mouse scenerio since they are unable to interbreed but can also be of the same gender."
This discussion has been closed.