Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Seriously bad luck.

So my first tri litter, the mum got a fast growing tumour in her back passage a few days after birth and had to be put to sleep, i had to hand rear the litter.

NOW i had two girls due one gave birth to six fine and milk bands mum is in good shape, i got to check the second and find half eaten alive babies and two untouched, every baby had milk bands i cant understand what went wrong.

I feel like giivng up at this point, i only have two remaining does i can breed :'(

Comments

• _superwolf_superwolf Legacy
    :hug: That sounds awful, I'm sorry you had to experience that, and I hope the remaining babies do ok. I know I wouldn't have the nerves for breeding, but with any decision it's best to take a step back and consider things rationally. Have you had really bad luck, is this likely to happen regularly, could you cope if so, and is there rationally anything different you could have done?
  • _Pixie_Pixie Legacy
    I'm just very upset this keeps happening i love tri's i want to get them in the shows and the way this is going is just awful.
    It's very disheartening to see my line dropping so bad already.

I have plenty of males but females nope, my litters have been high in male number i hope i get some more females from this litter i have eight, six are Luna's and two are Merida's.

all babies are now with Luna, as Merida did not bother with hers, they were ice cold with milk bands so better chance they go with Luna she has taken them on well.
  • _Pixie_Pixie Legacy
    I think it might be to do with disturbing them a bit t much, obviously i like to check every day and i also hold all my mice, except the pregnant ones they don't get much handling due to stress and possibly hurting them.

I cleaned these out two days ago knowing due date is near to avoid a real stink i think it may be to much for one of them so i need to adjust the amount i'm messing around with them.

I do have my pet mice who wont ever be bred they mean a lot to me, i have got a kind of different love for the ones i do breed because i have to separate my feeling a little in case anything really bad happens and i then will suffer with heartbreak a lot. Iv'e done pretty good but now just feel like im jinxed with bad luck, i just hope i can adjust a little and make the pregnant mice feel more privacy, i am working on the inner bit of my outhouse to pop just pregnant and nursing mums in, which i wont be in all day messing around. i spend a lot of time in my outhouse cuddling, feeding, cleaning ect so i think it might be a bit much for them even if higher up im still noisy sometimes with feeding and cleaning out so i think thats another good thing to look forward to and may improve my mouse litters.
  • _Galaxy_Galaxy Legacy
    When I used to breed my mice I would "wash" my hands in their bedding when checking on newborns and also would put a distraction in for the mum - this reduced the cannabalism. But this does happen and will happen. You have to accept it and move on. Decide if this is really what you want to do and if so harden your heart otherwise you're just not going to succeed. This doesn't mean that it didn't upset me because it did - alot at first and then not so much until I just gave up breeding and just enjoyed my mice. It is always a risk and you have calculate whether its worth it. You don't know your meeces personal histories - whether they come from a line of good mothers or not.......
    If this comes across the wrong way then I am sorry but I'm just trying to help
  • _Pixie_Pixie Legacy
    My mice are from a registered breeder so i know the histories to them and the line.
    I do all that you listed, im at my fourth litter, and two of those litters were not great experiences.

I'm going to try a few more breedings and see how i go, as im very new to this it will upset me but now i know what to expect and ive gone threw it and now hoping it may get a little easier knowing how to deal with these issues.
  • _Galaxy_Galaxy Legacy
    :hug:
This discussion has been closed.