Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Removing rust residue from a perspex cage lid?

Okay, I have a wee dilemma. My chinese hamster`s cage (Gabber Rex) arrived off ebay this afternoon and I have managed to use a brillo pad on the base which had some rust marks which bled onto it when the lid was up-turned into the base and the barred grid rusted up. :roll:

At the moment, I have the lid up-turned inside the base outside soaking in some warm water an sugar soap. This done a fine job on the cage base, but because the upper lid is clear perspex, I can`t use anything abrassive to remove the rust coloured residue.

Any ideas? The barred grid is terribly rusty, so I will need to sand paper that tomorrow. The grid is already chrome, so once the rust is removed, it will just be back to it`s original silver/chrome colour.

Comments

• _zany_toon_zany_toon Legacy
    What about a little whitening tooth paste? Although it contains abrasives, the abrasives are nowhere near as harsh as the ones you would find in an abrasive surface cleaner (otherwise people would havevery bad, scratched teeth :lol:) It might work, I know that it worked in getting calcium stains off of some of my cage bases. Use it on a hard toothbrush to rub it on the affected area and just wipe it off with a damp cloth. You should be able to get a fairly cheap one to try and see if that works :) Another alternative would be baking soda and vinegar which should work the same way. I don't think either of those options would scratch the plastic - maybe try along the rim first to see before trying on the main part.

Edit: came across this link that says just to use white vinegar and let it sit on the affected area for half an hour. http://www.ehow.com/how_5614416_remove-rust-stains-plastic.html
This discussion has been closed.