Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Igloo Chewing!

In a recent order from ECF I bought one of these (actually I bought two but this is the one on question)

http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catalog/design-mini-igloo-hamsters-mice-blue-cotton-p-1221.html

I gave it to my boys the other day, and noticed this morning that they have industriously chewed out the inside layer at the back, and filled the bottom of their cage with tiny little foamy bits :(

I'm not entirely happy that they are mouse safe so I've cleared it all out and removed the igloo, but just thought I would post to say that I wouldn't recommend them for known chewers!

I think they will be ok for my girls, because they don't deconstruct hammocky things in the same way as the boys!!

Comments

• _PresqueVu_PresqueVu Legacy
    I've used these for my gerbils before - they are either destroyed within half an hour, or absolutely fine for months and then gone in two seconds :)
  • _Emms_Emms Legacy
    Lol! Do you think I'm being over cautious about the foamy bits? I ummed and ahhed before I took it out, because I assume that they must be animal safe, and I'm not sure that the boys were actually eating any of it, but I decided to err on the side of caution!
  • _Emms_Emms Legacy
    Ah that's reassuring, thanks ladies!

I'll pop it back in with them then, because they did like it :)
    I bought a load of football shaped beds that were filled with foam. Most of them are now empty shells with extra 'doors' built in. The mice still love them all the same.
  • _Emms_Emms Legacy
    Thanks again for the reassurances everyone. I was fairly sure that it ought to be safe, but I wanted to be safe rather than sorry!

The igloo is back in with the boys, and they are busily shredding another side of it as far as I can tell! :roll:
This discussion has been closed.