Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

What to feed for controlled experiment for GMO foods and non-GMO foods

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and have just a few questions. My friend and I are looking at doing a controlled science experiment for class with some little white mice. We want to test the effects of GMO food against the effect of Organic food and see if there really is a difference. What is the best NON gmo food out there on the market and what is the worst GMO ridden food out there? (Don't worry we are going to only do this experiment for about 2 weeks to see if we can tell the difference in the mice and to see if we can reverse the effects of GMO (if they are any different) with introducing organic)

Also I heard of people using lab blocks for their mice? What are the worst and best brands of that out there? I think that would be our best way to control it, but if they are all bad then we won't use those.

Any help will be great, we just want to know if the food they eat really do affect them, or if it's all just ways to get you to buy more expensive products. Thanks!

Comments

• _racingmouse_racingmouse Legacy
    Hi and welcome. I`m no expert on GM foods, but I would imagine that a two week experiment on mice (even under strict laboratory conditions) would then require samples being taken from the mice to determine factors like blood analysis and other types of findings to determine what chemical changes may have occurred. Now if this is a school project, I doubt you would notice any changes in the mice. Food amounts/quality and intake could take months if not longer, to determine an outcome. GM products may well speed up tumours in susceptible animals, while organic produce will prevent chemical intake, but mouse genetics play a big role also.

It depends on what effects you are testing for? Is it weight gain, activity levels, amount of feed/types of feed? Mice won`t starve themselves naturally, but diluting what they eat by removing certain elements could amount to health changes, so by doing so, could be detrimental to the mice rather than beneficial. I realise you say these are white school mice? So therefor, not pets? We on this forum as you might appreciate don`t experiment on our mice in such a way for an outcome, but to enhance their lives by nurture, so we would only see changes in the mice we keep naturally through keeping the mice for their entire lives and noticing changes as they age.

Other members may have another view, but I`m afraid that using mice to prove an outcome isn`t in the mice`s best interests.
This discussion has been closed.