Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Oxbow is bad for mice? What?

I'm so confused... I was looking to see if my mice could eat yogurt as a snack and I came across a website that said Oxbow was a terrible food for mice. I don't understand, is this statement true? I thought I was doing the best thing for them... It's a lab block that seems fortified for them. I'll put their information below. It just scares me, people are saying their mice die while eating this stuff but my mice gobble it all up and I was so happy they were eating healthy food...

Ingredients

Ground Corn, Soybean Meal, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Hulls, Dried Whey, Cane Molasses, Soybean Oil, Sunflower Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Limestone, Flax Seed, Sodium Bentonite, Menhaden Fish Meal, Lignin Sulfonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Natural Flavor, DL-Methionine, Salt, Magnesium Oxide, Choline Chloride, Yeast Culture, Hydrolyzed Yeast, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Ferrous Sulfate, Mixed Tocopherols, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Monophosphate (Vitamin C), Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Biotin, Vitamin A Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Rosemary Extract

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein (min) 18.00%
Crude Fat (min) 6.00%
Crude Fiber (min) 2.00%
Crude Fiber (max) 6.00%
Moisture (max) 12.00%
Calcium (min) 0.80%
Calcium (max) 1.40%
Phosphorous (min) 0.60%
Copper (min) 20 mg/kg
Vitamin A (min) 10,000 IU/kg
Vitamin D (min) 1,400 IU/kg
Vitamin E (min) 125 IU/kg
Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) 50 mg/kg
Omega 3 Fatty Acids (min) 0.50%
Omega 6 Fatty Acids (min) 2.80%

I thought mice needed a lot of protein, maybe I'm wrong? Please help, I want the best for my mice! :|

Comments

• _angeliccaaa_angeliccaaa Legacy
    I'm not an expert when it comes to these things but I do know that mice shouldn't have too much protein. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but most mice shouldn't have more than 13% protein in their daily diet. High protein can cause what's known as 'hot spots'. These spots are very itchy to a mouse and are usually on the back of their neck and sometimes going down their back/spin. Hot spots can cause extreme discomfort, obsessive scratching, open wounds from scratching then infection from wounds.
  • _Veroxion_Veroxion Legacy
    According to TheFunMouse, yes. It's a horrible brand. It doesn't have enough nutrients, and it can still be given to them but only as an addition to another balanced die, but even this isn't recommended considering the cases of mice being unable to thrive or even dying.

I would stop feeding it to your mouse and look for something better. I honestly would just look into making your own mix. There's a lot of great recipes out there already you can follow and in the Feeding and Nutrition section on this site there is also some more information I'm sure.
  • _angeliccaaa_angeliccaaa Legacy
    Here's the link to what Veroxion was talking about http://www.thefunmouse.com/info/diet.cfm you'll have to scroll down a bit but it has a review on Oxbow and several other brands that aren't exactly the best according to them.
    Thanks for posting the link, angeliccaaa. :)
    I'm definetly nowhere near as sure of things as the others who've posted, but for what its worth I think a general rule for diets seems to be that if its good for hamsters its not going to be great for mice (and vice versa). I believe oxbow is fairly good for hamsters, so I'd just feed whatever is left of the oxbow to your hamsters if you can (once you have other food for your mice to eat).
    I did get my information from The Fun Mouse but I didn't know if it was credible. ^^'

Wow, okay I will definitely do that. What is the best recipe for mice? And that applies to Egyptian Spinies too?

I have been feeding it to my four month old rat (it says it's also for young rats up to 6 months old) and he likes it, so I'll use the rest on him...

Thanks guys!
    Okay :3 I'm just very OCD about what I give them because I want my meeces to be happy and healthy. Also I did research when I got my spinies, but not enough to know much about their diet. >< They're kind of a mysterious creature haha. :P

Any specifics would be really helpful because I'd be scared to make a mix and make it really unhealthy or unbalanced by accident...

But I am almost out of the Oxbow food so I need to get something for them. ><
    There's a great post I found somewhere on making your own mix, which I'll follow once my current food supply runs low. You can find it here.

It gives you an idea of what you can add and lets you make as much as you want with percentages being used as opposed to "this makes up to 5kg of food" etc. ;) You can always switch a few things depending on what ingredients you have access to and then inquire whether or not its good.
    Thanks guys! I will definitely check it out and see what works best. :3

Also I do know that spinies are prone to obesity and maybe diabetes? Not sure about diabetes though. If that helps. XD
    So that website said that for pets 10-15% protein is best, but also mentioned nursing/growing/show mice etc. needing at least 18%. Are the mixes listed for the 10-15% or the 18%? Sorry if that's a dumb question. >< I like the dog food idea but that's too high in protein. I'll have to do look into the different types of food. ^^
    Oops, I never noticed that. I have just skimmed through and was going to to use it as a reference when the time came. :oops: Really sorry for the confusion, it's not a dumb question at all.

I would probably say that the mixes listed are for the 18% considering it's a forum for breeders, who need to have a bulk of food for their stock. I would probably suggest asking over there what you can do to cut down the protein level for fancy pet mice, or maybe here and see if anyone with experience can help. I'm still using up my current store-bought food so I wouldn't really know.
  • _Headlam_Headlam Legacy
    I buy it Oxbow ocassionaly but find the Living World brand far far superior, my mice just gobble it up. But arent too keen on Oxbow but still eat it. Its very expensive and I think that Oxbow tried to copy Living World slightly. But all in all it's not that bad. :wiggle: :cry:
This discussion has been closed.