From my own experience and from what I've seen on here, it seems like a lot of people new to mice struggle to find what the most appropriate food might be to feed their mice, since there's not much available in the shops, and not a massive amount of info about it online. I know a lot of us now make our own mixes, but obviously that's quite daunting when you don't know much about nutritional values and what mice might actually enjoy eating.
So I thought it might be a good idea for us to write reviews of both commercially bought mixes, and of our own home-made ones. :)
As a template, here are some questions I'd ask about when considering a mix:
- availability in shops/different countries/online?
- palatability/how much gets wasted?
- does it need supplementing with vitamins/calcium etc.?
- protein content?
- low in sugar/fat/filler foods?
- how varied is it?
- do the mice enjoy it?
- are ingredients clearly stated?
- what proportions of ingredients do you use in your home-made mixes, i.e. what's the recipe?
If anyone can think of more questions then let me know and I'll edit them in. :) It might also be useful to some people if they could get sent a small sample of the food by another member (I'd be willing to do this).