Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Alright, Tell me ALL about mouse food!

Is there any particular block or mix people recommend? If not, what are the nutrition values I would be looking for to make my own food? Also, what are the different nutrition requirements for house mice and wild deer mice? I'm mostly under the impression that deer mice need higher protein than house mice, but there's a decent chance I am mistaken.

Right now I feed a homemade seed/grain mix but it's probably not perfect for mice since I use the one we made for dwarf hamsters :oops: (seriously, I'm a great hamster owner, but possibly a very bad mouse owner), harlan teklad 2018 lab blocks (too high in protein I know, but it's nearly impossible to get lower ones), and sometimes a bit of oxbow rat/mouse food or oxbow hamster food (this is not really staple diet at all but I give them a bit for variety).

Comments

• _AnnB_AnnB Legacy
    I'm in the UK and we don't get wild deer mice here. What are the ingredients in the Harlan teklad lab blocks?
  • _xelay_xelay Legacy
    Here are the ingredients in Harlan Teklad 2018: Ground wheat, ground corn, wheat middlings, soybean meal, corn gluten meal, soybean oil, calcium carbonate, dried brewers yeast, dicalcium phosphate, iodized salt, L-lysine, DL-methionine, choline chloride, niacin, vitamin A acetate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride,thiamine mononitrate, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, calcium pantothenate, ferrous sulfate, magnesium oxide, manganous oxide, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate, chromium potassium sulfate.

And the nutritional analysis:
    Crude Fiber (maximum)5.00%
    Calcium1.01%
    Phosphorus0.61%
    Crude Protein (minimum)18.90%
    Crude Fat (minimum)5.00%
  • _xelay_xelay Legacy
    They don't get exclusively lab blocks. I give them a helping of lab blocks every 2-3 times a week and some homemade mix every day. The homemade mix has about 15% protein. The mix has: Green Lentils, Red Lentils, French Lentils, Oat Groats, Pumpkin Seeds, Green Peas, Yellow Peas, Millet, Rolled Oats, Pearled Barley, Sesame Seeds, Middle Eastern Couscous, Black-Eyed Peas, Sunflower seeds, Quinoa, Egg Biscuits, Flax, Black Beans, Buckwheat Groats, Flaked Wheat, Spelt Berries, Flaked Barley, and Flaked Rye. Plus most of that is organic and local. They also get fresh veggies or other types of treats a couple of times a week.

I know more about deer mouse nutrition than fancy mouse nutrition actually. Deer mice need a much higher percentage of protein than fancy mice, but we can just deal with that by giving her high protein treats. Plus, like you said, the lab blocks are sorta high in protein, but I don't plan to stop feeding them those since it isn't their primary food and is a nice complete diet overall. I'd love to get the mix more in the right range for mice though, and would love any suggestions on supplementing their diet beyond what they are already getting.
This discussion has been closed.