Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Feeding enrichment

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has some good suggestions for giving my mice their food and making them work a little bit to get at it?
At the moment, I just scatter the pieces round the cage and may put some on the ladders. Anything else I can do?

Comments

• _AnnB_AnnB Legacy
    Somebody suggested wrapping up a parcel of food in a tissue and letting the mice open it. I'm a bit hopeless when it comes to creative ideas I'm afraid.
  • _PresqueVu_PresqueVu Legacy
    You can tie some items to the top of your cage, like broccolli on thin sisal rope or similar (safe to be chewed). Then they have to try and eat it as it swings :D

Will have a think but that's it off the top of my head...but I'm sure I've read of plenty of others...hmmm!

Come on MaN creative-types - we need you on this thread :?
    What about treat/food kabobs? We've just hung them in Peanut and Nuthatch's cages, we won't refill them very often because they do have a ton of treats on them but they should keep the boys nicely occupied for a while. I think they were sold as fruit kabobs/kebabs but we've got a few from different places and they're all the same basic idea

[attachment=1888]P1150031.JPG[/attachment]

(On them its five barley rings, two dog biscuits, a monkey nut and a hazelnut)
    Those two came without anything on them but others we've bought just came with wooden chews on them that we often leave on - they get in the way and make it more of a challenge :)
    We got those from zooplus if that helps (and we know from experience you can stop the bells on others working, our first syrian hamster removed part of the bell on hers and it stopped it making noise quite nicely lol)
    We feed the same amount of food and basically treat them like giant treats - but the boys are failing miserably at destroying them (not for lack of trying) so it should take them a good while to get the treats anyway :)
    Those origami boxes are a great idea! Not sure we needed more places to hide bedding for the mice but shhh.... :P
    Hi, I make a feeder type thing from old juice cartons, snip different sized holes in the side and punch a hole in the top, full it with high value food items (eg there favourite things) and then hang it from the cage :-) the juice box card is quiet stiff so poses a bit of a challenge
This discussion has been closed.