Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Mouse Food

Could someone tell me if the food I have is okay for my mice? It was the only mouse food (it's for hamsters and rats also) they had at the store, so if it's not good for them I don't know what I'm going to feed them.
Here's the site: http://www.kaytee.com/products/kaytee-fortidiet-pro-health-mouse-rat.php

And here's the information, in case you don't feel like going to the site.
Ingredients:
Ground Yellow Corn, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Ground Wheat, Ground Oats, Ground Peanuts, Sun-cured Alfalfa Meal, Ground Flax Seed, Dried Cane Molasses, Lignin Sulfonate, Corn Sugar, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Ground Rice, Salt, Soy Oil, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Beet Pulp, Algae Meal (source of Omega-3 DHA), Fructooligosaccharide, DL-Methionine, Yeast Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Lysine, Vitamin A Supplement, Choline Chloride, Mixed Tocopherols (a preservative), Ferrous Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of vitamin K activity), Copper Sulfate, Rosemary Extract, Citric Acid, Cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, Natural Flavoring. Allergen information: Contains peanuts and/or other tree nuts.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min.)..............20.0%
Crude Fat (min.)...................4.0%
Crude Fiber (max.).................7.0%
Moisture (max.)...................12.0%
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (min.).........0.4%
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) (min.).0.04%
Total Bacillus Species (min.)...100,000 CFU/g

Comments

• _AnnB_AnnB Legacy
    Unfortunately the protein level is too high for mice. Are there any other mixes available at the store?
  • I believe high protein can cause hot spots that really itch which isn't great, so lower protein would definetly be better. Do the store have any bird seed mixes? If so, maybe you could mix some bird seed with the mouse seed to reduce the overall protein in the mix?
    If they don't have bird seed then some healthfood stores sell seeds and things that mice can enjoy, most of our mouse food is bought in human shops now :)
  • That'd probably be fine, we have cockatiel seed for the hamsters and I know ours is mouse safe :) Do you know what ingredients are in yours?

Bird seed and blocks could work ok I think :)
This discussion has been closed.