Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Jerry update + food help please :)

I took Jerry to the vet and they watched him all day and think he has allergies of some sort- either seasonal or food. There are no grain-free foods in the stores for him. Does anyone have suggestions? He'll be on an oral steroid medicine in a few days. Thanks! :)

Comments

Shunamite style mix time then I guess... Just adapted for no grains
    http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk/shunamite.shtml (My default shunamite link)
  • _Pomtreez_Pomtreez Legacy
    Well, when I told the office there wasn't that kind of food in stores, they said nevermind, just leave him on the food he has. My other thought was it could be the artificial stuff in the food. It's called Reggie Rat, and it's similar to Harry Hamster (same makers). He's about 1 yr 9 mo now if the shelter was correct with his age. I contacted a vet about neutering but they said he was too old but if I insisted, the cost was $250. That's just too much!
    Sorry about the confusing names... Didn't think when I posted the link lol

Hopefully others advice is more helpful :)
    I agree and thank you Ann! I called the vet office and they said it would take 30 days to confirm a fungal issue but said it couldn't hurt him if I tried it. They didn't outright condone it but didn't give any reason why I couldn't. I'm going to give it a try! :) I'm not going to pay for a test if I can just try it on my own.
    I'm going to get some Lamisil later today. :) I bought Jerry a food that doesn't have artificial dyes. I figure it doesn't hurt. I also got him a climbing toy for playtime. Today I took him out for playtime for the first time and didn't give medicine. He seems to like the attention even if he doesn't like being handled. I was wondering, is it safe to leave a microfiber washcloth in his cage for cuddling? The vet left a towel in his carrier when I picked him up and he wrapped himself up in it like a burrito. It was so cute! I put a microfiber cloth on my hands and picked him up and he walked around on my hands and up my arm and on my shirt. :)

Poor thing :( I hope the cream helps and that he likes his new food
    Ok, I put Lamisil on Jerry yesterday and this morning and tonight his neck is even more red and bloody. Seems like he didn't react well to it at all. Either it burned his skin, or made it more irritated and increased his scratching. :( I really am at a loss for what else to do. The steroid medicine should arrive tomorrow, but the temp medicine the vet office gave me that they use for their ferrets (Ceterizine) isn't making any improvements either. I'm really fearing the worst here, because if nothing works, I may have to make a difficult decision.
  • _Kipperbo1_Kipperbo1 Legacy
    I hope he feels better soon! But the only safe fabrics are felt and fleece. Anything else can get caught in their toenails, or ingested.
    Thanks. I put a piece of felt in the cage for him. I'll have to get some polar fleece. I have fleece blankets, but nothing I'd want to cut up to make mouse-sized. lol
    The problem is, he knows something is on him that shouldn't be, and his mission is to get it off. I actually held him for a while after dabbing the cream on him. I can't fully distract him enough to keep him from scratching. Even with toys that he finds exciting, he takes a few steps, scratches, few steps more.. The cream is not scented.

I agree Ann, sure wish I could cover up that area to give it a chance to heal or even remove his nails! The vet tried to trim them but was to worried she'd make a mistake.

Thank you Superwolf and everyone for your support and suggestions. :)
    I picked up the Prednisone today. Hoping it works! It's not long-term. It gets tapered down, less frequently until it's gone.
    I really hope the prednisone works, it sounds like treating him is a real challenge :(
    Thank you Kryll. :) Yes it really is a challenge! I cut up a piece of fleece about the size of a washcloth to put in Jerry's cage to cuddle up in. Trying to make him as comfortable as I can. He's very active but still must be miserable. One eye was swollen shut last night.
This discussion has been closed.