Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Oh heck

Went out and got Pumpkin and Boo a packet of pumpkin seeds tried them with one and they loved them. Just read the back of the packet and it says may contain traces of sunflower seeds .Do you think Boo will be OK with them? Although we were told she was allergic to sunflower seeds by her last owner we have no evidence of this but I dont want to put her in danger. Apparently they make her hair fall out.

Comments

• _AnnB_AnnB Legacy
    I really don't know if sunflower seeds might cause that sort of allergic reaction. I've had a number of mice now with chronic scratching issues and because it had been suggested that it may be an allergy I tried leaving various ingredients out of their diet but it didn't make any difference whatsoever. Maybe initially you could limit them to one pumpkin seed a week and then if Boo doesn't develop any problems you could relax a bit.
  • _Nicky_Nicky Legacy
    Thank you both . Yes I will just give one a week and see if she is ok x Am not convinced she is allergic to sunflower seeds but dare not risk giving them x Am still sure it had something to do with her bedding.
  • _BusyMouse_BusyMouse Legacy
    Although I've never seen a mouse allergic to sunflower seeds from a source I've relied on since the beginning of having mice I learnt to avoid the sunflower seeds with a black and white striped shell. They're supposed to make mice develop allergies which can make them very ill if they eat them habitually, and according to the mouse nutrition person who advises this, they shouldn't even be fed as an occasional treat. The mouse food mix I buy would be brilliant if it wasn't the case that I have to pick out all those sunflower seeds meticulously when feeding.
    But I don't think the bag of pumpkin seeds could be harmful as long as you're sure they're all pumpkin seeds and not something else. I got them for mine, and it's one of their extra treats.
This discussion has been closed.