Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Roasted & Salted Pumpkin and Sunflower Seeds as treats?

I made the mistake of buying large quantities of Roasted/Salted Sunflower and Pumpkin seeds thinking they were un-salted because they said All Natural in large letters on the bags. Is this going to be ok to feed as treats to my 2 female fancy mice?

Also bought a bag of Raw Peanuts and hoping that would be ok too and these are still in the shells. Is it ok to feed it to them in the shells? I would think they would have fun ripping the shells off.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Comments

• _AnnB_AnnB Legacy
    Like you I would have tried to avoid anything salty but I wonder if you can rinse and dry them to get some of the salt off?

The peanuts in shells will be fine but as they're very fattening I'd limit it to an occasional treat.
  • _BusyMouse_BusyMouse Legacy
    Both sunflower seeds and peanuts should only be a very occasional treat if at all, because apart rom them being very fattening food allegedly (but I go by those reports) they're quite likely to cause mice developing food allergies.
    Instead of peanuts, I'd feed Brazil nuts, but not a whole one, rather a small chip of one as a treat and alternating this with other treats less fattening than nuts.
    On the whole, sunflower seeds and peanuts are more likely to count as harmful than healthy diet.
This discussion has been closed.