Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Feeding Mice canned Dog food or cat food

I've heard a few people feed their mice dog food or cat food. This sounds like it might be a tasty and healthy option for them. Is it? If it is are they talking about the dry pellet stuff or the meaty canned stuff. Thanks

Comments

• _AnnB_AnnB Legacy
    I use a dry dog kibble in my mouse mix but I limit it to about 5% of the total mix. Cat food is generally too high in protein for mice. I've never tried my mice with a can of dog meat but others have and say the mice enjoy it. It's quite good for mice to have a small amount of animal protein in their diet and that can be things like mealworms, cooked chicken or dog food.
  • _NuttySian_NuttySian Legacy
    My mice are odd and only like wet foods (cat/dog/baby) if frozen!
    Very handy in the hot weather though as it becomes a treat and a way to cool down.

I scoop it into ice cube trays, freeze, then pop them in a container in the freezer and take them out when needed.
  • _Nicky_Nicky Legacy
    Gosh that is a surprise it never occurred too me that I could give them canned dog food. I did try them with a little cooked chicken but they wouldn't even try it.
This discussion has been closed.