Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Escapee stories!

CritteryCrittery Overlord
edited April 2015 in General Rodent Chatter
So last night my husband woke up to a mouse-like hamster on his head.

These annoying, lovely, crazy little rodents can chew their way out of an exo-terra. 4am last night saw us running round the house with a net, a tea towel and some plastic tubs. We found one of them in our cellar!

So what are people's best escapee stories then?
=))
crittery.co.uk
Exotic rodent husbandry and rescue;
Resource website for rodents and small mammals;

Please like us on facebook! www.facebook.com/critteryuk
Tagged:

Comments

• superwolfsuperwolf Mouse
    X( No stories of my own as yet (touch wood!), but I did have to laugh at your daft mouse-like hamsters!  I hope you got them all without too much hassle, although from the sounds of it lack of hassle is a bit much to hope for... :P
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

You really should forewarn me if you're going to make me laugh like that, I'm only just recovering from a chest infection and that much laughter isn't good for me X(

I don't think I've had any major escapes, one of my old mice "Tipsy" fell backwards off my bed when I took him by surprise and I thought briefly that I'd lost him but I found he'd fallen into one of my walking boots. Teaser, one of my current mice was given up by her original owner because she kept escaping. As you all know, my mice free range every day on my bed and Teaser always manages to find her way under the old blankets that I cover the bed with and she gets right inside the duvet cover.

Ann, you've reminded me - I once got the mice into the smaller cage to take for some free ranging time, put a cardboard box on the floor to get it out the way, and went off to sit on the bed with the mice.  I noticed Elliott wasn't coming out to play, which wasn't at all like him, checked everywhere in the cage, couldn't find him, panicked.  Then I went back to the mouse room, looked inside the cardboard box, and there was poor Elliott with a very confused look on his face!  :-*  :P
    Strangely enough its only a week or two ago I was woken by a hamster walking over my head at about 4:15am... Silky let herself out of her bin cage and decided the appropriate thing to do was to get onto the bed to walk over my forehead, when that didn't get enough of a reaction she decided to wander over my shoulder too. That was followed by the horrible realisation it was a pet that'd woken me and that meant someone was out when they shouldn't be...
    Luckily she didn't mind being collected and went back home happily enough. To escape she'd stuffed her wheel with substrate, climbed it, hung onto the mesh roof of her bin cage, chewed through a cable tie and moved it along the mesh, then squashed herself out of the corner the cable tie was no-longer holding secure. We put her back, got her wheel working again, added a new cable tie, stuck the nearest heavy item over the corner in question and went back to bed lol

That said... How the heck does an animal chew out of an exo-terra???

That Elliott story made me laugh too :)

Scamp was also a good one for memorable escapes... On one she woke me about two hours before I had to get up for my last ever uni exam. Between that and a minor health issue I'd realised about the night before I had far too little sleep altogether and ended up lucky to stay awake through my exam lol
    On another escape I saw her get out of the cage... Collected her within seconds... And in those few seconds she took a bite out of my nice waterproof, dustproof phone and proved it might be waterproof and dustproof... But it certainly wasn't Scamp-proof! Needless to say it was suddenly a lot less waterproof and dustproof after that too.

Its also worth mentioning Whizz... A roborovski dwarf hamster who was terrified of people... She escaped twice and the first time it took us a couple of hours to get her back! We knew exactly where she was but catching her was a nightmare. The second time it only took 20 mins or so which was a vast improvement :P

We've not had pets escape often, but I have to give them credit... If our pets escape they do pick their moments and do their best to make it memorable lol
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
    Ooh wow, you've got a good few stories there Kyrillion!  Silky sounds like one determined hamster! :P
  • JonJon Lemming
    edited April 2015 Posts: 147
    I have a few stories I could tell.

Let me start with a fairly brief one. The gerbils who escaped and got into the crawl-space of a long series of bedrooms.

I was working at a conference centre (about 30 years ago when I was 19 or 20), and had these male gerbils. Somehow or other, they got out overnight and when I woke up they were gone. I was completely freaked but when I went to brush my teeth I heard something and, looking down, quickly realised it was them. They were in a large aperture in the bathroom wall where some renovations were in progress.

For about half an hour, they just sat there looking at me, but resisted any attempts to catch them. Frustrated and rather worried, I went off to breakfast. I told one of my co-workers and between us we had a brainwave. My girlfriend at the time had two female gerbils. So we nabbed them (still in their cage) and left them near the hole.

The boys were out of their hiding place and back in captivity within about 3 minutes!
    Ask not what your rodent can do for you...
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    My first escapee was Chip, my first male mouse. He'd managed to squeeze out of the cage door on the roof of his cage and I came home from work to get him out to play to find he was gone. I hunted everywhere, and not finding him broke down in tears fearing my cat Theo had got him. As I sat down crying I must have nudged my slippers, as out popped little Chip onto my foot with a look of "Hi mum!! I was waiting on you coming home! Are you ok?"

The second escape I had was Lyle, one of my first neutered boys. I'd just bought my first HH cage and was sufficiently satisfied that I had blocked off the spaces where the tubes should go (you know where this is going already don't you?) and introduced Lyle and his brother Tate to some girls in the cage. When I checked on them later it appeared that some Herculean mouse (Lyle) had managed to clear the blockage from the spaces and done a runner. Again, he was nowhere to be seen. I ended up placing little dishes of water and chunks of biscuit in every room and after two days of crawling around the house trying to find him I gave up hope. Then I noticed a few biscuit crumbs leading away from where they were placed and did a mad dash check as it hadn't been like that last I checked. And I found Lyle running around the computer desk!! How he managed to evade Theo for two days I have no idea!!

A few nights after that Daisy managed to do the same thing - I found the little hussy chilling out on top of a cage of entire boys, who were all squeaking like mad wanting to get to her!!

There was also the time Spooky managed to chew her way out of a Really Useful Box (which I'd converted into a temporary cage for her and her sisters as I had been decorating and didn't have the space for a large one in the living room.) I found her stuck in a high sided box fully of books scrabbling to get out. And I still have no idea how she got there!!

Houdini has also been the master of escapes (hence his name.) At one point when he first arrived he managed to squeeze out of his cage and the second  cage that his was placed in (supposedly to stop him escaping) and was sitting on top having a staring contest with Theo :-O

So far my hamsters have been easier to catch when they have escaped. Rambo escaped by falling off my bed one night. He must have snuck past me while I was moving things under the bed to get to him and I found him walking out of my mum's room, back into mine and into his cage of his own accord!!
    Aargh, this thread is going to give me nightmares! :P So many near misses...
    I think Pumpkin merits mention in this thread now... She used to live in a converted IKEA Detolf, we'd meshed the ends so she couldn't get at the wood. All she could get at was either glass or metal. We thought it was escape-proof as long as we made sure the lids were secure... Nope. Pumpkin decided to break through 6mm mesh last night, made a nice hamster-sized hole and let herself out.
    Luckily we collected her quickly and she's spent the day in our glass carrier with food, a bottle, bedding and low toys so she'll struggle to reach the mesh roof incase she wants to break through that too...
    We've spent the day searching ebay, winning an auction and arranging to collect her new cage at 8pm tonight. It'll be a nice glass tank, taller than the detolf so the theory is that with low toys she'll be unable to get at the roof and escape, the wheel will be the only tall toy so as long as she doesn't jam that and climb it she should be nicely secure. Here's hoping no-one ever outdoes Pumpkin with that escape... I dread to think what they'd have to do to outdo her lol
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Blimey, thank goodness you've found another cage so quickly.
    Thanks Ann, the tank has turned out to need a clean and things so she's in the detolf for now but with a divider blocking her off from the bit she chewed. She'll be in her nice taller tank soon though and as long as she doesn't learn to chew through glass too we should be sorted lol
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Don't jinx yourself by saying so much as "she shold be unable" you know she's going to practice don't you? :P
    zany_toon said:

Don't jinx yourself by saying so much as "she shold be unable" you know she's going to practice don't you? :P

Theres a reason its "in theory" and "should" :P She "shouldn't" have been able to break through mesh so she's already made it nice and clear that she doesn't let simple words like "shouldn't" or "can't" get in the way of what she wants to do lol