Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Me v. sewing machine!

So I used to make hammocks for the mice by hand, however I got a bit bored of how slow it was.  I do have a sewing machine, but I've always been a bit scared of it...  I bit the bullet though and had a go today.  They're a bit wonky, but I'm gonna keep practising! :P

If I get good at it, I might consider selling them for charity, if anyone's interested?

Comments

• CritteryCrittery Overlord
    They look pretty good already! I'd have to practice to get to that level ;)

It might be helpful to have a thicker loop on the corners?
    crittery.co.uk
    Exotic rodent husbandry and rescue;
    Resource website for rodents and small mammals;

Please like us on facebook! www.facebook.com/critteryuk
  • superwolfsuperwolf Mouse
    Thanks!  Up close you can see all the mistakes though. :P

I'll have a look and see what I've got - I was just trying to avoid having to use webbing and D rings really, as they're a lot of faff.  Thanks for the feedback!
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Yes please, my mice would love to have a couple. It's very generous of you to sell them for charity.
    That's great Ann - I'll be keeping the ones in the photo, as they've got too many mistakes for me to send to anyone, but I've made a third one I'm happier with, and I'll be making more if there's interest.

Would £4 or £5 be reasonable, considering that they're not yet good enough for me to sell commercially, but the money will be going to charity?

The charity in question will be Primrose Rescue, in case anyone hadn't guessed! :P
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    They look lovely, easily good enough to sell and I'm certainly happy to pay £4 or £5.
    We'll say £5 for one then, or £8 for two. :)

I'll make a few more over the weekend, upload the pictures and then you can decide which ones you want Ann.
    Thanked by 1AnnB
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    They are lovely. Well done.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 529
    They look good to me, really nicely made :) I can make the more standard flat hammocks but never got around to finishing the one like yours that I started... Keep meaning to get the sewing machine out again but its like practicing/learning to make chainmail - they're both things I never seem to get around to actually doing
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
    I had a chainmail bra my friend made me!  X( Then I gave him it to fix when it rusted, and we subsequently fell out so no more bra for me... :P

The seams are fairly awful as I'm still practising going in a straight line (and how I manage the circles I really don't know...), but I've seen an improvement just with the three I've made already. :) Thanks for the compliments peeps, I do like the design alterations I've done, so I'm hoping I can keep making improvements along those lines.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 529
    Wow, that sounds kinda awesome lol. I'm sorry you fell out after you'd given it to him to fix because it was rusty...
    I don't even know what I want to make with chainmail anymore, I just want to be able to make things with chainmail... It might go well with the wire I've started doing the odd bit with. Think chainmail and wire could mix nicely if I found the right thing to do with them... And it wasn't a pet related thing like everything else I've made with wire :P

At least practice is good :D I hope you start to feel like you are improving, I know the more I practice with the sewing machine the happier I get with stuff :)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    I think those look fab Maria, and I'd definitely be interested in buying some :) I was always going to make my own but have never gotten into it, and my meeces love hammocks :) The colours you have used are lovely too :)
  • pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
    Very cute! I put a piece of fleece in the girls' cage to cuddle up with and they tore it to shreds. :( They did the same thing to a hammock I had made for hamsters. After one day it was torn up and they were sewn really well for durability.

Living in North Carolina, USA with 1 Syrian hamster, 3 Chinese hamsters, 4 mice, 2 rats (and 2 cats)
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

The mice are looking forward to getting posh new hammocks, I've only ever attempted to make the simple flat ones.

Now, you've really got my curiosity going - a chainmail bra?? Isn't it kinda heavy and does it pinch a bit when you move?

Kyrillion I know you said you didn't want to make anything pet-related, but... guinea pig chainmail armour!!!

Ann it was heavy, cumbersome and looked awesome! :P

Thanks for the compliments about the hammocks people, I'll keep making them and uploading pictures for anyone who'd like one or two. :)
    I've seen that armour! Its awesome... But I neither have the skills with chainmail or a guinea pig :(

I'll happily make pet related stuff, just not sure how much I can make from chainmail that'd be safe for hamsters, mice, mongolian gerbils or the duprasi lol
    Made four saleable hammocks!  The stripy one is for any pimp-mouses out there! :P

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    edited April 2015 Posts: 936
    Well done, you've obviously been working hard! I rather like the green one and the purple one goes nicely with it.
    Thanks Ann, I'll save the green one for you!  :-&
  • larkalarka Lemming
    Superwolf these are fabulous !! I'd definitely be interested in buying a few ! 
    Awesome, thanks Larka!
    edited May 2015 Posts: 631
    OOoh a stripey one :) They look great Maria :)
    Thanks Roz! :D
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Could I reserve the green and the purple one please Maria? There was a bit of a computer glitch when I posted my last reply and you may have only seen the first part about liking the green one - I had to edit the post to add the rest of my response. PM me when you're back from your hols with your chosen method of payment.
  • AlisonAlison Mouse
    I think you do an awesome job Maria. Can I reserve one for our new ham please, not worried which one though, I will let you choose :)
    The Pink Paw Gang are back in town! 2 mice, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 2 springer spaniels, 1 sprollie and 1 sprocker. Is this what you call a multicultural house :)

Remembering my gorgeous boy Griffon, my cheeky Merlin, my beautiful Womble, the handsome Mr George and my 'grumpy' old man Buster

Run free Lilo, Meeko, Stitch, Molly and Davey (hamsters) Zelda, Princess, Ninny and Link (rats) and Squeak (guinea pig)

Playing at The Rainbow Bridge are Wooster, Baldrick, Sir Edmund, Parker, Daisy, Poppy, Lily, Rosie & Fleur, Mitch, Alex, Pyscho, Tango & Cash, Little Misses Trouble and Mischief, Coco, Cookie & Hazel, Lilley & Tilley and Ernie, Pete, Strawberry and Shortcake and Mr & Mrs Mabel & Eric Mouse

Every little life matters
    Well I didn't quite make it to the Lake District - I've been ill with my mystery illness (now probable urine infection) for a while now and I was too ill to go. :( Went and stayed with some lovely friends instead over the weekend.

I've made a couple more hammocks - will take more pictures today, and Alison and Ann that's perfect, I'll consider three hammocks reserved!
    Thanked by 1Alison
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

Oh no, not you too!! I did make it as far as Suffolk for a holiday but got sick while I was there and had to limp home. Still don't yet know what's wrong but I feel just a little bit better today. On a plus note, all this time at home is really helping with my post count on here.

I really hope you're feeling better now and get the chance for a well deserved holiday in the Lake District soon.

Oh no!  (directed both at your being ill and your being ahead of me in the post count!  :-O )

Glad you're doing a bit better, and I hope we both have better holidays soon!
    Thanked by 1AnnB

Forgot to put the green one in, but that's reserved for Ann anyway.  The three ones at the front are new, as well as one of the zig zags.
    I hope you are getting better now Maria :( Urinary infections are horrid, I used to get them regularly growing up :( And you too Ann, I hope you are both improving.

Maria could I please have a rainbow striped one and two pink spotty ones? I know some meeces who would love some :)
    Thanked by 1AnnB
    Thanks Roz - I'm going for more tests today, and should find out the results tomorrow, and hopefully get started with some treatment!

Consider those three reserved. :)

I'll hopefully post them all next week - right now getting to the post office would be a bit of a struggle, so I think I'm best not making promises I can't keep! :P
    Thanked by 2zany_toon Alison