Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Jerry mouse is making amazing progress!

pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
edited April 2015 in Behaviour
After all this time with Jerry mouse, leaving him be since he was so opposed to being touched, I decided to see if I could teach him to turn on command like the girls. So guess who else is motivated by sunflower seeds? lol He does this REALLY adorable thing, standing on his hind legs and rubbing his hands together like "gimme, gimme!" But he'll turn on command AND he is even sitting in my hand and eating his seed and also last night started crawling up my arm! :o And old man can be taught new tricks. lol He's liberally estimated (adopted from a shelter) to be 2 yrs old in mid May.

Concerning his health- the vet has said his swollen sides were a result of allergies making his pancreas? swell up. After failing to give him the meds orally and progressing to bloody ears, the vet gave him a steroid shot and he is as good as new! Healed up completely! So we decided we'll leave him be and when he gets to the point where he starts scratching himself bloody, he'll go in for another shot, but not sooner than that. Seems like a great plan to me. 

Living in North Carolina, USA with 1 Syrian hamster, 3 Chinese hamsters, 4 mice, 2 rats (and 2 cats)

Comments

• superwolfsuperwolf Mouse
    edited April 2015 Posts: 309
    Oh wow, glad to hear Jerry's doing better, and the rubbing his palms together sounds adorable!  X(
  • pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
    edited April 2015 Posts: 57
    Thanks Superwolf! I agree, the hand rubbing is the cutest! Here is the video of him doing it. 

Living in North Carolina, USA with 1 Syrian hamster, 3 Chinese hamsters, 4 mice, 2 rats (and 2 cats)
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Jerrymouse is gorgeous. Love the video he looks like he is clapping his paws :\">
    Awwwwwwwwwwww!!!  :\">  :\">  :\">
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Awwww, way to go Jerry :) That's fab new that the steroid injection worked so well, and that he is enjoying doing some tricks for you :)
  • pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
    Thank you! I am really happy he is doing so well. I feel bad I didn't have more faith in him that he would tame, but glad I know now and am working with him more. He is loving it! As much as he wanted to be left alone when I first got him, I also didn't think he'd live long, being old and scratchy and from a shelter, but he's proven me wrong many times. 
    Wow, thats progress! I'm really glad he's doing so well now :D
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
    pomtreez said:

Thank you! I am really happy he is doing so well. I feel bad I didn't have more faith in him that he would tame, but glad I know now and am working with him more. He is loving it! As much as he wanted to be left alone when I first got him, I also didn't think he'd live long, being old and scratchy and from a shelter, but he's proven me wrong many times. 

You arent the only one who has had mice that they didn't think would tame!! It seems to be mice get more placid as they get older - my Houdini was a nasty biter, now he loves ear scritches!!
  • pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
    Thank you Kryll and Zany! 

I did not know the mice get tamer as they get older. That's awesome! Coconut is pretty shy too, but is hopping in my hand for a sunflower seed. Merely desperation. lol She's come out of her shell quite a bit though since I got her. Iggy is nearly fearless, but does squeak when picked up. :P 
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    What an amazing little mouse Jerry is! I love the video, I've known several dogs do that too.
  • pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
    Thank you Ann! I've never seen a dog do that (don't have any myself) but that would be funny! I'm sure I could find it on Youtube. Everything is on there. lol 
  • GeorgiaRoseGeorgiaRose Lemming
    This is adorable :)
  • pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
    Jerry mouse has made another huge step! He is now (as of several times this morning) crawling out of his cage and onto my hand! He even made a little noise to let me know he was on the top bar and wanting out. So cute! I put him on my lap a couple times to run around and he really enjoyed it. Unlike Iggy, he doesn't poop and pee all over me! lol 

Well done Jerry!  :-&
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    As the old saying goes, "Everything comes to those who wait" and Jerry waited until now to show his true nature and it`s fabulous to see Poms. Single male mice can me amazing characters and I`ve had a few. Kinky epeically as he was my very first mouse and more of a soul mate. Such a special little mouse with human like qualities. x
  • pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
    I've honestly been stressed out about having a single male, knowing he's alone, even though I guess in a way he prefers it that way. Well actually I'm sure he prefers the company of girls. lol I'm excited to play with him more! Now if only Iggy mouse would quit pooping and peeing on me. I hate picking her up because it's so gross to have my clothes covered in waste.  :(
    :D That's brilliant news :D I'm so glad you kept persevering with Jerry, it has really paid off :) He looks so comfortable on your hand :)
  • pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
    Thank you! He will sit in my hand and eat sunflower seeds, but as soon as I try to take a picture, he runs up my arm. I think he hates his picture taken. :P 
    Well done Jerry! Thats massive and fantastic progress :D
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
    Thanks Kryll! I am really happy he is mellowing out! Going to see if he makes a better shoulder mouse than my poopy Iggy. lol Iggy wants out so bad too and loves crawling on me. I seriously considered making mouse diapers. LOL 
  • AlisonAlison Mouse
    This is brilliant :D Well done for sticking at it with him Pomtreez and Jerry, what can I say? That's just lovely
    :\">
    The Pink Paw Gang are back in town! 2 mice, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 2 springer spaniels, 1 sprollie and 1 sprocker. Is this what you call a multicultural house :)

Remembering my gorgeous boy Griffon, my cheeky Merlin, my beautiful Womble, the handsome Mr George and my 'grumpy' old man Buster

Run free Lilo, Meeko, Stitch, Molly and Davey (hamsters) Zelda, Princess, Ninny and Link (rats) and Squeak (guinea pig)

Playing at The Rainbow Bridge are Wooster, Baldrick, Sir Edmund, Parker, Daisy, Poppy, Lily, Rosie & Fleur, Mitch, Alex, Pyscho, Tango & Cash, Little Misses Trouble and Mischief, Coco, Cookie & Hazel, Lilley & Tilley and Ernie, Pete, Strawberry and Shortcake and Mr & Mrs Mabel & Eric Mouse

Every little life matters
  • pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
    Thank you Alison, he is really coming around! :) 
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Good one jerry :D