Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

hello, and new ASFRs

Hello I'm new to the forum and thought I would say hi and share my excitement with you about my new African soft fur rats. There are five. I also have two mice, a Holland lop bunny, and a cat named mickey.

Comments

• CritteryCrittery Overlord
    Hallo and welcome! good to have you over here :)

Hope the new ones are settling in nicely!

crittery.co.uk
    Exotic rodent husbandry and rescue;
    Resource website for rodents and small mammals;

Please like us on facebook! www.facebook.com/critteryuk
  • superwolfsuperwolf Mouse
    Ooh, that does sound exciting!  Pictures please!  =))
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Can't wait to hear more about your ASFs.
  • kpottakpotta Lemming
    I'll take photos when they start to get active tonight :). My name is Kelsey by the way. Its nice to meet you all. Does anyone in this forum have experience w asfrs?
  • CritteryCrittery Overlord
    Hi Kelsey :)

Yeah a fair few of us have had them, with various results! I'm going to be trying to tag some of the older posts on the forum to make this kind of thing easier, as you can click the ones to the front page and use those to search. For now though, if you search in the top right for 'multi' or 'multimammate' you'll get a few threads popping up!
    crittery.co.uk
    Exotic rodent husbandry and rescue;
    Resource website for rodents and small mammals;

Please like us on facebook! www.facebook.com/critteryuk
    Welcome to the forum :)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • kpottakpotta Lemming
    Thank you all for the welcomes and I'll search multi and look for care tips. :) I'll take photos very soon :)
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Hello and welcome :-h
  • superwolfsuperwolf Mouse
    Aww, pretty!  :x
    Cute! I want to get multis one day, just not yet. I look forward to seeing more about yours in the future :)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Welcome to the forum Kelsey :) Your ASF girls have very similar markings to my two, they are gorgeous :)
  • kpottakpotta Lemming
    Aww thanks. One is totally brown but she was hiding during picture time. The rest have similar markings.

I haven't handled them yet. I've been letting them settle
  • kpottakpotta Lemming
    I will handle them soon because their cage needs cleaned but I'm afraid they will bite me because I heard miltis are prone to biting.
    kpotta said:

I will handle them soon because their cage needs cleaned but I'm afraid they will bite me because I heard miltis are prone to biting.

They can be, but not all are. I've had six in total now and only one is a biter. I'd suggest trying to see if they will let you put their hand in the cage and if they are ok with that try to get them used to it a little. You could try using a box or tube to lift them out the cage to reduce the chance of you being nipped or bitten if they are prone to it (it will also help when it comes to jumping as ASFs are jumpers!) and move them somewhere safe while you clean the cage out :)
  • kpottakpotta Lemming
    Yeah, I think I'm gunna lift the whole box they hide in out to change their bedding. Thanks. The woman I got them said only one was very unhappy.
  • kpottakpotta Lemming
    Got them from*
    I hope the cage clean goes well, but for what its worth I'd not trust much you've been told without checking it. We've been told pets bite, pets're nervous, even pets're really friendly and confident... And had the entire lot be wrong in some animals. Sometimes the previous owner is right, othertimes they're completely wrong about the animals and their personality I'm afraid

I hope the cage clean goes well, but for what its worth I'd not trust much you've been told without checking it. We've been told pets bite, pets're nervous, even pets're really friendly and confident... And had the entire lot be wrong in some animals. Sometimes the previous owner is right, othertimes they're completely wrong about the animals and their personality I'm afraid

That's very true, kpotta so even if you find you do have one biter it might be worth persevering as most times it's their previous treatment or their nerves that have caused the behaviour. Many come around when you take time with them :)
    *nods* We've seen it a few times in hamsters now, even Bertie (who I routinely refer to as a psycopath) has improved a lot with enough patience thrown at him :D He's a lovely ham really... He just needs a bit of special understanding, thats all :P

I know multis are different to hams but what we've learnt with one species usually transfers to others to some degree or another

*nods* We've seen it a few times in hamsters now, even Bertie (who I routinely refer to as a psycopath) has improved a lot with enough patience thrown at him :D He's a lovely ham really... He just needs a bit of special understanding, thats all :P

I know multis are different to hams but what we've learnt with one species usually transfers to others to some degree or another

Your Bertie sounds like my Remi, Kyrill :P Remi was what I described as my Norman Bates hamster - all sweet cuddles and then she'd randomly stab her teeth into my hand!!! She'd always look so apologetic afterwards and licked it clean :P I still miss her :(

But yeah, kpotta, as kyrill said many things you will have seen in other species you can use on whatever one you are having bother with :)
    Oh no, Bertie doesn't even pretend to be as lovely as Remi could lol. He can be absolutely savage with people and hands, but he's stopped hiding in wait to bite us as we feed him, he survived a vet visit, behaved for treatment (eye infection) and is a way happier hamster than he was. He's definetly not ready for handling yet but he is calming down so theres always a chance he will be in future :)

I'm sorry you still miss Remi though :(
    Thanked by 1zany_toon
  • kpottakpotta Lemming
    Thank you all. :) I will be patient