Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

I'm sure I read somewhere on here that it is a nice idea to give your mice a wee tub of compost for them to dig it in and I'm sure someone mentioned something about live tubs of parsley ? I can't find the thread so I just wanted to check I was not mistaken and if there's anything I should avoid when providing these things ? Can you literally just use regular compost from the garden centre ? Thanks ;)

• superwolfsuperwolf Mouse
    I think you'd need to check there weren't any chemicals or anything non-mouse-friendly added to the compost (I'm not a gardener, so have no idea! :P ).  What I use is dehydrated soil that comes in blocks, and is made out of coconut husks (it's from Ikea and is quite cheap, and you just add water to make it into soil again).  It doesn't have anything nasty in it and is great for the mice to dig about in. :)

I'd also make sure and only give it them a day or two before you plan on cleaning out, as it does make a wonderful amount of mess! >:D<
  • larkalarka Lemming
    Thank you! I honestly have no idea with these things so I really appreciate your advice :) since IKea won't deliver and i don't drive I'll probably go for this, seems similar!
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Yes that looks ok. You just need to make sure that if you get anything from a garden supplies store rather than specifically marketed for animals, it doesn't contain things like little balls of slow releasing plant food or gel to stop the compost drying out too quickly.
  • larkalarka Lemming
    Okay thank you ! Feel more confident about getting these things now I know what to look out for :)
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    I got a bag of organic compost really Cheaply from morrosons as I used it to grow grass in tubs for my guinea pigs.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Of course I ment Morrison's lol
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    edited May 2015 Posts: 631
    I used live pots of parsley for my mice :) Plant some seeds in the compost, let it grow, et voila, an all you can throw about and eat buffet #:-S
    I remember sterilised top-soil being used for hamsters in the past, maybe that'd suit mice too?
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)