Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Can anyone help?

I know its a long shot but is there anyone in Sheffield or the surrounding areas that has experience with sexing mice and would be willing to sex Hocus for us ? I was thinking of asking our vet but not sure how mouse savvy he is.Any advice would be welcome as I would love at some point to introduce Hocus to our two females but I am notoriously rubbish at sexing Rodents unless its obvious lol

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I'm a long way from you I'm afraid. You could try putting her/him in something with a clear base and then use a magnifying glass or try to get a photo of her underneath.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Ohh good idea will have a go at that
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Have you also tied having a look at him/her on a high sided food bowl? Put their favourite treat in and as he is perched there you should find that if he/she is male that the testicles will be noticeable as they can't always hold them in for long!
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    I keep trying to look but Hocus never keeps still.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Hocus is such a great name, I wish I'd thought of it! You can't really expect a mouse with that name to keep still, I don't suppose.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Thanks  AnnB Here is a picture of her any ideas anyone.
    20150505_162017-1.jpg
    708 x 810 - 342K
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Hocus is an ace name :D I love it :D

Hocus looks female to me, but I can't enlarge the photo to double check. Have you been able to see any nipples? Only female mice have nipples and you might see them a bit clearer if you use a little water on your finger to dampen Hocus' stomach and sides to check.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    The two openings look close together so I'm going with "female" too.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Thank you both. Have not seen any nipples but I cant get a good look as Hocus is a wiggler . The dampening my finger is a really good idea and I will try that .
  • MuntchkaMuntchka Lemming
    It looks like a female. but as @zany_toon said, try to look for nipples, if you see nipples then you know for sure it's a female.
    Also, I don't know how old is Hocus but I would say that if it's around 5 weeks or older you should be able to see the male features, if it's a male.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Thank you Muntchka I will have a good look. Hocus they told us is around eight weeks.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Hocus has nipples !!!!! Its a girl x :D
  • superwolfsuperwolf Mouse
    That's good - hope the intros go smoothly when you feel the time's right. :)
  • BaggyMousersBaggyMousers Mouse
    I know I'm adding my comment here when this conversation is pretty much concluded, but thought i'd just add my bit anyway  X(

Definitely looks girly to me. And what I did with my unexpected babies, was put them in a clear bowl with something to nibble on because *usually* when they get comfortable a big pair of balls will pop out of nowhere and you can tell they the boys apart easily!