Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Hello

My old user name was T- bear and I like this new forum you all have here.

For those who know me I no longer have any mice for now my boy Tobie has moved across the bridge and is with his brother's and sister's. 

The last two I had was lady luck a hurt little wild one and candy a pet store throw away that was given to me by a stressed out owner that was closing down the pet store cause of negative cash flow, cause she always put the animals first before profits is why the store closed.

Tobie left in the fall he was 4yrs and three months old, Lady luck left in the winter and candy followed shortly, lady luck lived for a year with me and that put her age at 1yr and 4 months candy danced her way through my life for about 2yrs and 3 months.

I've had mice since 2000 until January of this year and I'm just going to take a break for now then look for a little furry friend and I hope I can stay at one or three depending if I get a male or female .

I am taking a small animal health class at the local collage it is not a vet class or vet assit class it is to help you to see the signs of illness and help you get the best care for your small critters. the class is being taught by my vet it is three weeks and I think it is great besides my self there is 15 people in the class and this is just a test class to see if something along these lines would be workable for the local collage.

well that's about it for now. see ya 

Comments

• superwolfsuperwolf Mouse
    Hello again!  :)

Sorry to hear you've lost all three, I can understand the decision to take a bit of a break though - it can be hard to 'move on' straight away.

The animal health class sounds great, must be really interesting and it's good that people are taking an interest in giving their animals the best care possible. :)
  • CritteryCrittery Overlord
    edited May 2015 Posts: 274
    I'm glad to see you made your way over here! :)

Sorry to hear about your losses, hope the timeout does you good. Can be very hard, I think we've all had to have time away :|

Animal health class sounds really good!
    crittery.co.uk
    Exotic rodent husbandry and rescue;
    Resource website for rodents and small mammals;

Please like us on facebook! www.facebook.com/critteryuk
  • tobietobie Lemming
    edited May 2015 Posts: 14
    thank you PV and Superwolf for the kind welcome
    Thanked by 1Crittery
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

It's good to hear from you again, I'm glad you've found the new forum.

The Small Animal Health class sounds like a really good idea, let us know what you learn.

Hello!

I'm sorry for your losses but that class sounds great, I hope you continue to enjoy it :)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • tobietobie Lemming
    edited May 2015 Posts: 14

Thank you AnnB and Kyrilliondeamon for the welcome and such kind words.

So far in the class we are covering the basics of mouse health you know keep out of drafts always have something for them to chew.

I did find out that acorns and some other hard shelled nuts are ok.

And the typical things to look for such as watery eyes and nose, lose of weight ,scruffy or dull looking fur.

I did learn that a mouse that acts different then when you received him/her could be a sign of illness which I never knew or observed with mine so that's new to me.

These signs are pretty much the same with hamy's and ratties with just a few difference's but that's next weeks lessons so not to bad so far.

OH almost forgot I also learned that whole grains are better for mice than any over the counter mouse&rat feed that you get at the local or pet retailer.

The class was told to stay away from the lab blocks foods unless the company that makes the lab blocks type food supplies mouse/rat laboratories then you as a pet owner/caretaker can be assured that the lab blocks are sufficient for your pets.

Dr. Kegan knows her stuff on small animals she takes care of 5 mice and 6 ratties and three each robo,dwarf,and teddy bear hamy's and those are her's. can't wait to see what she has for next weeks lessons.

More to come as I go.

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

Lab blocks aren't marketed so much here in the UK but there are plenty of mixes available and it can be really confusing for a first time rodent owner, ploughing their way through what's good and what's bad.

That class sounds like such a good idea that I might even put the idea to my own vet sometime.

• tobietobie Lemming

Please do Ann I found that people with a sleight interest in a small furry find it daunting to find info that can give them the correct info to help them decide if they want a small furry as a companion.

And also the first timers think they are alone when there is a great big community of furry caregivers world wide. that give info that is along the same lines that's why I belong here and to one over here in the states cause when I got my first mouse the info I got was totally wrong but with PV and others here and on the forum in the states I was able to give my furry people the best care that I could with the help of both place's.

tomorrow I'll give some history info on the mouse that is what is scheduled for tonite. 

• zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Welcome back Tobie :D IT's good to see you again :) I'm sorry you've had so many losses :( TObie was a wonderful age, and if I remember you've had a few mice live to a fantastic age like this - you must have a magic touch :)

Your class sounds like it is really interesting :) I hope that you find out more interesting things, it would be lovely for you to be able to share it and get more people interested in doing a class at your college :)