Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Neutering a male mouse

MuntchkaMuntchka Lemming
It's the first time I have a male mouse so I haven't had this situation before.
My little boy (almost 9 weeks old) is going to be neutered tomorrow. After thinking of it I decided that this is the best thing to do for him (although not for my wallet - pardon my language but everything is so damn expensive here in Denmark). This way I hope, to be able to have him with the girls one day, he hates to be alone, and if I can reduce the smell maybe my husband will accept him better. 

I will prepare a clean space with paper towels were he can recover and I will avoid to put things that he can jump or climb, at least for the first days. And I will ask the vet if she recommends some antibiotic.
I'm confident it will be fine but I'm still a little bit scared. I've heard the 2nd day is the worst.

Do you have any experience in neutering mice, or any advice?
Tagged:

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

I've had nine male mice neutered and they all came through the operation with no problems. The smell definitely gets better and of course as you mentioned, the best outcome is that he can have some company.

The main worry as far as I know is the actual anaesthetic, once they come round from that it's usually plain sailing although I have known of mice getting shrivelled ears, possibly through lack of oxygen during the operation.

I hope it all goes well tomorrow.

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Good luck x
  • MuntchkaMuntchka Lemming
    Thank you :)
    Eight out of nine of those we've put in for the operation survived. It was definetly the right choice for all nine males to be put in for the surgery and I hope it goes well for your lad tomorrow

My biggest bit of advice is to be prepared for him not appreciating the enforced relaxation, none of our boys ever got the idea of it...
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
    edited May 2015 Posts: 42
    Just came back from the vet.
    They say the operation was quick and without any problem. And they gave me an antibiotic and a pain killer to give him the next 2 days.
    He's awake and the first thing he did when he got home was to eat and drink.
    Let's hope it heals well in the next days.
    Now I just need to figure out how I will give him the medication :P

And I'm sure the enforced relaxation will be tough, he's a very active little mouse
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

I'm so glad to hear it went well.

Probably the easiest way to give medication is to drop the liquid (assuming it is liquid) on a piece of walnut or yummy human type biscuit. My mice will usually eat medicine this way with no problems.

• superwolfsuperwolf Mouse
    Really pleased for you. :)
  • CritteryCrittery Overlord
    Glad to hear this :)
    crittery.co.uk
    Exotic rodent husbandry and rescue;
    Resource website for rodents and small mammals;

Please like us on facebook! www.facebook.com/critteryuk
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Glad it all went well.
    Thank you all :)
    I think I will try the biscuit trick
    I'm glad he got through the op ok :)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
    An update on Tiny Tim.
    Some days have passed and Tiny Tim has been great. I was expecting him to maybe be a little more quiet on the day after the surgery, and I know some mice can feel depressed some days... Well, not him. He's active as usual. Always jumping to make me give him attention and bring him out, and still interested in the females cage.

If it weren't for the differences in his bum volume, smell and way he pee, I would say they did nothing :)
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    My boys were the same!
    So were ours, I'm glad he's recovered so well though :)
  • superwolfsuperwolf Mouse
    Brilliant to hear. :)