Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

squeaking and chattering

larkalarka Lemming
I'm worried about Sugar. Over the past 3 days she's had a couple of episodes where she makes a chattering sound interspersed with some very loud squeaks (/sneezes?). Two of the episodes have been when she's in her nest with Rannoch and they're curled up together. The third which I managed to film was when she was wandering about the cage.

The most recent episode she has in her nest lying down and was squeakinquietly with what sounded like each exhale. And the occasional very loud squeak.

What could be causing her to do this ? Each episode only lasts two minutes at most then she goes back to making no noise ?

I hope you can hear the sound on the video okay, sorry it's a crappy phone recording.

Thanks in advanceeveryone

:(

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

Sounds very much like a respiratory infection. Mice are prone to them and sometimes even something as simple as a change of bedding can bring on symptoms. You can help the situation by trying to make sure the bedding is free of dust where possible and not scented, the mice aren't in a draughty environment or prone to major temperature changes.

It's certainly worth considering a trip to the vet as antibiotics can help relieve the symptoms.

• larkalarka Lemming
    edited May 2015 Posts: 24
    Thanks Ann

I really hoped it wouldn't be something like that since she wasn't doing it consistently but obviously it's better to take her to the vet regardless. Got an appointent for her today.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Better safe than sorry I think, good luck at the vets.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Boo was like that not long after I got her , we took her to the vets and after treatment she was fine and we have had no problems since.