Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Dolly's eye again

Hi all,

I posted on the old forum about Dolly's eye looking a bit pink around the rim - it had got a fair bit better, but today it looks a lot worse. :( I've booked her in at the vet's on Monday - is there anything else I could be doing in the meantime?

I've seen no sign of any of the girls having mites, and I treated them anyway a few weeks ago - worth doing again?

You can see it in this video (Dolly's the black and white one), but it looks worse in real life:

Tagged:

Comments

• SummergirlSummergirl Lemming
    It looks similar to what my Janie has. The vet said it is called "red tears" and is treating it with eye drops, antibiotic, and benedryl for the itching. Hers got much worse than yours before I went to the vet, and Janie is 2 years and 4 months. We are on day 3 of treatment. I wish you the best at the vet. Would like to see what your vet says.
    I dunno if this'll help at all but our Monster gets one eye going quite pink at times, she doesn't seem to mind at all and it always goes away in time so we've never worried about it too much. A vet has looked at her eye once (mostly checking about a tiny lump she has by the eye since she was there keeping a friend company) and the vet wasn't concerned at all :)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • superwolfsuperwolf Mouse
    Thanks Summergirl - I'll let you know how we get on at the vet's. :)
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Yes, I think I'd wait and see what the vet says as the mite treatment doesn't seem to have made a difference.
    Thanks all, I'm hoping it's just a minor infection but it does look a bit sore/weepy so I think the vet is the best option for her. :)

She also seems a little more jumpy than she used to be (although that's always been present to a degree) - do you think having one eye working less well might have caused this?
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I don't think mice have great eyesight at the best of times so I'm not sure that would be the cause of her being more jumpy. I've just noticed when photographing the mice with one of their new hammocks that Squill has a tiny sore patch by her ear again so I think it's just going to be the warmer weather causing some of these issues to flair up again.
    That's true, my Nutmeg had terrible eyesight, but she was friendly as anything!

Sorry to hear Squill's got a sore patch again, I hope it doesn't affect her too much. :)
    Definetly not the same as Monster then :( Hers never gets at all weepy or anything except a bit pink. I hope the vet helps her when you go :)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
    Dolly was not on her best behaviour at the vet's... X( It's probable good news though, no ulcers visible so it's eye drops 2x daily (Dolly's gonna love me for that!) and we're to go back if it doesn't clear up after a week.

If anyone has any tips on keeping a distressed mouse still while squirting drops in her eye, please let me know! :P
    I hope the eye drops go well... When we had a hamster who disliked her eye drops we found leaving her in the cage and dropping them in through the door seemed to reduce stress - and she stayed more still so while we had less room for our hands it was actually easier for everyone. The biggest problem we had then was her protective sister who eventually decided the drops were doing nothing (she was right in the end too) and started lying in wait to try and stop the eye drops lol
    Dunno how well it'll work for a mouse but it might be worth remembering if you get really stuck with the drops?
    Thanks Sam, I'll bear that in mind! :)
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Really pleased that your vet gave you some drops Maria and nothing major was found. The drops should help if she has a bacterial infection, although she may have jagged the eye or got something in her eye that could cause it to activate tears? But redness usually indicates something more, so the drops should help. Hope so anyway. If she won`t sit still, perhaps swaddling in a face cloth for a few minutes will do the trick and a quick treat afterwards! x
    I originally thought she might just have jabbed herself on something, but the redness came back again (it first appeared three weeks ago), so I think it probably is an infection.  Thanks for the swaddling tip, I will give it a go!
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Hope Dolly's eye gets better soon x
    Thanked by 1superwolf
  • SummergirlSummergirl Lemming
    Janie is on her 5th day of treatment (eye drops, antibiotic, and childrens' benedryl). She's is about to say "enough of this" to it all. I get in the bathtub and we play around a while and then I treat her. She holds still for one second and that's all the time I get. Then I take her to Dad to get in his pocket  as a reward. After that, she goes back to Cindy (her roommate) who cleans it all off I'm sure. We go back to the vet on Wednesday for followup. She is happy and active, but the red cheeks are still there.
    Glad Janie's still happy and active Summergirl - I hope she gets fully back to normal soon!
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

I think you've summed up the whole rigmarole of trying to give medicine to mice very well, made me giggle!

I hope your efforts pay off.

Well Dolly's coping quite well with the eye drops (that is she hates them, but I've managed each dose so far), and I think we're seeing slight improvements. :)
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    The traumas our pets put us through! I'm glad there seems to be some improvement for Dolly, and how are you Maria - any improvement yet for you?
    Well I'm a bit less miserable about being ill, having managed to get out the house a bit at the weekend, but I don't think there's been any improvement otherwise.  Going to have a 24 hour heart monitor as my heart rate's been consistently high and I've been getting out of breath just going up the stairs...

Still, I treated myself to a load of new craft supplies, so I'm all set for another week of barricading myself on the sofa. :P
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Hope you both get well soon x
    Thanked by 1superwolf
    I'm glad Dolly seems to be improving, I just hope the doctors find a way to get you sorted too now!
    Thanked by 1superwolf
    You take it easy Maria. I`ve been away for a bit so am just catching up with everyone`s tales of woe! Wee Dolly`s eye should benefit from the drops but it depends on what the cause is. The eye itself or the eyelid. Eye problems can be tricky to treat but drops are worth trying. x
    Thanked by 1superwolf
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I hope your doctor finds a diagnosis for you soon or better still, you start to feel much better.
    Thanked by 1superwolf
    Thanks all. :)
    I`ve had cervical neck pain issues and other things going on for years Ann and apart from a proper surgical diagnosis for Endometriosis (the only way they can confirm it) I have had strong pain killers prescribed and stronger medications given last year, yet no GP I see ever gives me a clinical explanation for the pain or what the actual diagnosis is and it`s more than frustrating. I`m hoping to change that this year though because pain doesn`t become chronic without a reason. x
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

I know just what you mean April, I've found it difficult to get doctors to take me seriously. Part of my problem is that I don't seem to show pain as much as some people or perhaps I don't even feel pain as much as some people (my own Mum even said that to me once) and I think that may be part of the reason I don't get correctly diagnosed.

I remember that some delightful boy at school managed to break my leg and I hopped up to the teacher and told him I thought I'd broken my leg, he was rather doubtful but sent me hopping off to matron with another girl supporting me. Matron didn't believe I'd broken my leg either and forced me to walk up and down the corridor on my bad leg. A few minutes later a teacher carried in a sobbing girl who was told to by matron to lie still as she'd probably broken her leg, mine was diagnosed as a sprained ankle. My mum ended up taking both of us to hospital as the other girl's parents weren't available and guess what - she'd sprained her ankle and I'd broken my leg. I was also told the break was in the "growing point" of my leg and I should not have been walking on it as it might stop my leg growing. That matron came very close to being sued.

Oh Ann, that`s terrible. I often wonder whether it`s a good idea to pay a private GP for a good hour to chat about personal health and get some outcomes rather than keep bouncing off walls with the NHS. But private health care would wipe me out! Bupa do health screenings and basic stuff, but even those start at around £145 for a consultation, never mind any treatments!

I used to ride horses when I was younger and the fall that ended up triggering my eventual neck pain laded me in A&E for an X-Ray and although my arm was in a sling but not broken and the side of my face was all scratched to bits from falling onto gravel, the nurse said to me, "I think you horse riders bounce!"

:-bd
    Dolly's eye is looking bad again - taking her to the vet's this afternoon.  I think it might be stress-related, as it first happened after Violet passed away, and now Grace is gone too...

It might just need a good clean up, as it seems a bit gunky, but I called the vet's and they said to bring her in, so off I go!  Might see how much a taxi costs, as the bus will be sweltering.

I`d get a taxi Maria if you can. Perhaps a different type of eye drop or an ophthalmic cream might help. Eye problems, or eyelid problems, can be due to blepharitis (mention this to the vet you see) and it can be a buggar to treat even in human patients. Maybe they could take a swab? It could be inconclusive though so maybe that`s why the vet just prescribed the drops before hoping they would work.

Are you far from your vet surgery Maria? x