Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

My mouse is scared of me, help?

When I separated my male from my females, he hasn't been social with me. When ever I approach his cage he runs away into his little house. I tried to prompt him out with treats. Even though my girls love the treats he will not go near them or ever seemed to be bothered. He seems healthy. He always runs on the wheel and climbs up the bars. His coat is also very healthy looking. But he won't go near me. I don't want him to feel alone and I don't want to feel like I'm a predator or like I'm socially neglecting him. So how do I win his trust? Please help me.

Comments

I'd just keep being patient, let him get used to you being nearby and then try and win his trust once he's happier with you near the cage :)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • JupitarJupitar Lemming
    Thank you but he does live in my bedroom. I'll be patient I just feel so bad :(
    How long has he been separate for? It does just take a while for some animals to adapt
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
    Even the most shy of my critters will come out for sunflower seeds (no shell). :) I have a male that is the same way, and over time he has gotten better. I started by putting a sunflower seed by him, worked my way up to letting him grab it from my fingers, then put it in my hand. Good luck! 
    Living in North Carolina, USA with 1 Syrian hamster, 3 Chinese hamsters, 4 mice, 2 rats (and 2 cats)
  • JupitarJupitar Lemming
    Thank you pomtreez I'll try that :)
  • JupitarJupitar Lemming
    He has been separate from the females as soon as I found out one of my females was actually a male and the pet shop made a mistake. So about 5 weeks.
  • superwolfsuperwolf Mouse
    If he's healthy, would you consider having him neutered so he can go back in with the girls?  It is a risk obviously, but if he's so unhappy on his own then there's an argument to be made for taking that risk.

Either way don't despair, mice are smart enough to learn when something's not a threat, even if it does take them a while sometimes! :P I hope he comes round soon and realises that you just want to be friends.