Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

kyrilliondaemon's pets

Since on this forum its nice and easy to keep track of our threads, I'm planning to use this to show pics of my pets whenever I remember to take them. I've decided to start it off with a few recent hamster photos, two hams you know... And two you don't!

First up we have Rufus Barney Fruitbat Swiftwaffle!

A quick pic of Nervy Nelly Nibble, no longer nervy or nibbly but still more than capable of living up to his "Nelliphant" nickname. He's getting older, getting balder, but still friendly, happy and absolutely adorable too

Now its time for those you don't know... We've only had these two a few hours, they're what can safely be called "proof that I'm too soft" but that said, assuming you could provide a home for more hamsters... How many of you'd leave a ham with health problems to live out its life as "too old for anyone to want it" in a pet shop with no toys, bedding or anything better to do than circle her tank? And how many of you'd want to leave behind the other "too old for anyone to want it" ham with nothing to look forward to but another day scrabbling at the wall of her near-empty tank?
We wouldn't normally buy from a pet shop but we saw them yesterday, my OH left furious about the standards of animal care there in general (they've gone downhill a lot lately) and I left really worried about the one hamster. We returned today, found out they weren't planning to do anything with the girls but'd sell them if we wanted them despite their ages, got the two hamsters and now intend to avoid the shop completely in future.

With that said, please meet Calypso and Dove!
Calypso is about a year old, very jumpy when being picked up, but an absolutely lovely girl once she's on your hands. Unfortunately she has what we fear is neurological damage, but that may yet turn out to be an ear infection. When she moved to her new tank here she was unable to run in straight lines for long, had a head tilt when running and leaned to one side when standing on her back legs. She's started to run in straighter lines and seems to be circling less, so we're hoping these issues are down to sheer boredom at the pet shop. We plan to keep a close eye on her and see the vet if things don't clear up, just to be sure it isn't an ear infection. She also has the most prominent nipples we've ever seen in a hamster and as the shop does sometimes breed its own stock we suspect she's been bred from in the past, we just can't confirm if this is the case or not.
Dove is a little bit younger, she may be a little bit shy, she's fairly good about being picked up... And she has a tendancy to randomly jump like a flea when being handled, one second she's on your hand, the next she's landing 2ft away and you're left wondering if she's hiding springs in her fur or something. She seemed bored senseless in the shop and we didn't feel it was fair to leave her to a future of no toys, no wheel and nothing to do but scrabble at her tank.

This is Calypso

And this is Dove

Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

Rufus Barney Fruitbat Swiftwaffle has always been one of my favourites, I think his name also has something to do with it!

I wouldn't have been able to leave Calypso and Dove at the shop either.

lol Rufus is a brilliant little guy, his personality is as memorable as the name. In the first pic you can see him showing off his door, he's not had it that long and loves it - its an extra-fast route to the humans for anything he desires :P

We considered leaving the girls at the shop... But nope, we could provide a home, attention e.t.c so we're both glad to have them here instead now. I'm looking forward to seeing them this evening and seeing how Calypso is doing. It'll also be nice to spend more than 30 seconds or so handling them (yesterday they only had a few seconds while being moved between carriers and cages, then were left to settle in)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Lovely pictures. I would have took the two girls as well. Glad someone else is in the soft brigade x
    Thanks Nicky, I did doubt it'd just be me who was that soft :)
  • superwolfsuperwolf Mouse
    Wonderful hams, and I think you're wonderful too in your dedication to all that's small and fluffy.  :\">
    Thanks, that really means a lot :)

Calypso's balance was off last night so we've decided to see the vet sooner rather than later to be on the safe side, we'd prefer she saw one of three vets (the ones who take the crazy pets/situations best!) so I'll ring in the morning to see if any of them is avaliable at the 9am drop in, if they're not I'll repeat on Wed and Thurs, then if all else fails we'll book her an appointment for Friday evening. Unless she suddenly and drastically recovers before we can see one of the three vets we've got in mind then she will definetly be seen this week now. I've already started running a test to see what flavours of babyfood she likes the most - we have three in and she's got all three to try so that we know what to hide meds in if she needs any. Neither of us fancied syringing meds into a ham we've only had a few days, we can't put them in the water bottle (she had a bowl in the shop so has both at the moment and we're not sure she's worked out the bottle yet) so we're planning ahead for the sneaky route instead :P
    Much to our surprise, tonight we changed our minds on the vet visit. As Calypso has settled in she's been a bit reclusive but tonight she's clearly realised she's safe and she let us watch her potter around her tank for a good few minutes. If we hadn't known the head tilt was there we'd not have seen she had any issues. I then accidentally upset her a bit (was noisier than I wanted to be sorting something in her cage) and suddenly the tilt was back. We really do feel that all the signs are pointing to it not being an infection at the moment. As ever we will keep watching her closely but we're really hoping it'll clear up on its own now :)
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Sorry I missed these Kyrill :( Rufus and Nelly are looking great :)

You're new additions are gorgeous, I hope that they are doing better now they are in your care :) And I hope that Calypso is doing ok and the head tilt isn't affecting her too much.
    Thanks :) Her head tilt has drastically improved now, it does seem that stress makes it worse but as long as we keep her occupied with stress at an absolute minimum she's a fairly happy hamster.
    Both Dove and Calypso are really nervous but their confidence is slowly growing so I'm sure they'll be more sure of themselves eventually :)

This thread is due a massive load of pics soon... But you'll have to wait for me to get one or two more pics before I post that :P
    Ooh I love threads with loads of pics :D

I'm glad that Calypso is improving :) At least you have a rough idea of what makes the head tilt worse, it will hopefully help manage it for in future. :) They are both very lucky to have you :)
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 529
    Good, there'll be quite a few new ones on here in a bit :)

Thanks :) Yeah, I'm really pleased she's improved as much as she has actually. Unfortunately a certain naughty hamster (Pepper) means that Calypso'll have to move to her final cage sooner than we'd like so she is due some stress soon, but once she's moved we'll be able to keep her layout, toys e.t.c fairly similar for life and we think she'll be ok. We're thinking so carefully about stuff that we're even choosing her wheel with care... I'm sure we've thought over every aspect of her care about five times now lol

On that note... While I sort my newly taken pics, you can have a few of Pepper that I took yesterday :) She's pretending to be all totally innocent and to have no idea at all why she's in our glass carrier until her cage is repaired and she can swap with Calypso to live in a tank...

Awww, poor Pepper, your mean human is trying to make out you were naughty. I'm sure butter wouldn't melt in that gorgeous mouth of yours :) :P
    zany_toon said:

Awww, poor Pepper, your mean human is trying to make out you were naughty. I'm sure butter wouldn't melt in that gorgeous mouth of yours :) :P

Unfortunately for Pepper the large hole in the base of her Alexander cage indicates that her human may be correct on this one :P

I keep meaning to get a photo and forgetting, can't get one now because I've killed one camera battery this evening and discovered that I'd forgotten to charge the spare. Will try and get a photo in the next day or so once the batteries are charged again :)
    I may have had a little furry secret recently... Or you know, maybe a few of them... Like eighteen or so...

The critters in this post've come from a few sources, all were needing homes for one reason or another though. It all started with a facebook ad... I ignored the ad for over a week, then after 10 days or so of trying to resist I got in touch... About two hours later I'd arranged to get the creatures in question without their cage (a savic spelos) and we were on our way to collect some gerbils. The ad had said they were a male and female, we hoped they were wrong but a quick check proved they'd been correct and we had a male and a female on our hands. We named them Bubblegum and Fixit and needing to wait out Bubblegum's pregnancy watch is why we chose to wait to tell people about them.

Bubblegum

Fixit

We got those two about two months ago and since then we've found quite a few other gerbils in need of homes who've come into our care, the only problem was that it seemed wrong to post about those without posting about Bubblegum and Fixit so we've kept them quiet too.

The first to join us were Ben (right), Jerry (left) and Tommy (middle). Three friendly brothers who get along really well together

Then it was Mystery, he was free to a good home with all his stuff and we named him Mystery as we knew very little about him before we got him. He turned out to be a male who's about a year old and has since made a fantastic friend for Fixit who was quite lonely once we'd split him from Bubblegum. The boys intro went really well, we took it slow and have had no problems at all. They've been really laid back about the whole thing, never seemed fussed at all about each other during the intro. Now they're together they're really close, we rarely see one without the other and we often catch them sitting together - usually with one on the others head!

This is Mystery, he's not in that cage any longer but its what he came to us in

This is Apricot who is really friendly to us but who fought with her sisters in her last home and refused all attempts at introductions there. She's a really happy girl living on her own though so we see little reason to try and change that while she's showing all the normal, happy behaviours every other one of our gerbils is showing

Next up... Sisters Cherry and Orange! We were told they were males (they're not) and Cherrys tail has been half-bald since the day we got her but it doesn't change and never seems to be a problem for her. The girls are really devoted to each other and Orange won't go anywhere without her best friend Cherry there to back her up.

Cherry

Orange

I'd also like to introduce sisters Mia and Cat, the people at their last home were really friendly - we dropped in to collect some gerbils and I found myself cuddling a chinchilla! That said, when someone there asked what the girls were called we found out that only one of the girls had anything like a name and the other was sort of being referred to as "Spot" because she has a spot on her head. We don't normally rename pets but in their case we thought we'd make an exception. They're both nice friendly girls, experts in demolition (like most gerbils!) and a lot more fond of their wheel than most of our other gerbils.

Mia

Cat

The last pair to join us were two young sisters we've named Inky and Chute, apparently their parents were missexed and someone had a bit of a surprise when they found themselves with pups on their hands. The person put in a lot of effort and these two are really tame and friendly girls, all we've got to do to get them out is put our hand in the cage and wait a second or two - its rare it takes longer than that before one (or both!) has rushed out of bed to say hello. They do look very similar and there're only two ways to tell them apart, personality helps a bit but isn't reliable, so to see who is who we check the front paws. Inky has more white on hers than Chute does. You can see them both and their paws in the next two photos, in both photos Inky is at the back and Chute is at the front.

Now, last but by no means least... The reason we've waited quite this long to tell many people about the gerbils. Bubblegum's pregnancy watch went well, no signs of pregnancy at all... We got to the last day with no signs and started to breathe a big sigh of relief... Only to go out for a few hours and get home to pup squeaks! The pups turned four weeks old yesterday, they're not quite out of the woods yet but they're past most of the really scary times and at this point I think they deserve to be introduced to people. There're two boys and three girls, they've been a big help with their names and I'm pleased to say the boys are named Soap and Twitch, the girls are Thunder, Skyrocket and Popcorn. I do have some videos of them when they were younger, but I took these photos earlier today for you all.

Soap (right) and Twitch (left)

Skyrocket

Thunder

Popcorn (left) and Thunder (right)

Popcorn and Thunder again

Twitch

And with that... I've finally introduced every pet we currently own! I hope you enjoy all the pictures
    Sorry... Loads of posts in a row, but for anyone wondering if Pepper is really as naughty as I claim or as innocent as she pretends... Does this give you some sort of answer?

• pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
    Awww you have so many cuties Kryll! I really like that mushroom house too. I would get that if it was in the US! :) 

That is one really big hole to chew in that cage bottom, wow! That would be really frustrating! 
    Living in North Carolina, USA with 1 Syrian hamster, 3 Chinese hamsters, 4 mice, 2 rats (and 2 cats)
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Oh my goodness, how did you manage to keep quiet for so long? I love that the white gerbil is called "Orange".
    Good grief Sam, you really don't do things by halves!  :-O

They all look lovely and I'm glad you could give them such a good home. :) I hope the pups thrive, and that all your newbies combined cause you less trouble than that minx Pepper! X(
    We have something like 40 of those mushroom houses Pomtreez, saw them going fairly cheap on ebay locally and decided to get some... Then found out they had more than they did and ended up getting the lot for just over £20. Was less than 50p per house so we were really pleased. Have been handing them out to pets at every opportunity since and have finally opened the last box now :P We won't let the gerbils near them because of how much they chew but we've got some foster mice staying and they've been a big help in getting even more of thouse houses out of their boxes :)

Ann - I stayed quiet mostly because I was terrified the pups'd not make it. Up to a point it seemed that the more we'd have to tell if we lost one (or more) the worse the loss'd feel. Now if we lose any I'll be equally upset nomatter how many I have to tell I think lol. Plus its a lot, lot less likely at this age :D
    The white gerbil suits the name Orange... There're a few reasons behind it, I can explain if you'd like to know them? (There're reasons behind most of our pet names actually)

Er... No superwolf, it seems that we sometimes really, really don't do things by halves :P That said, we did get them mostly one or two or three at a time over two months so it didn't seem to be quite as many newbies until I had to introduce two months worth of them on forums and stuff :P

I'm also glad to see two people agreeing with me about Pepper and that hole :P We've ordered a soldering iron now, just for patching the cage up

Sorry... Loads of posts in a row, but for anyone wondering if Pepper is really as naughty as I claim or as innocent as she pretends... Does this give you some sort of answer?

Nah, still don't believe you - she must have had a visiting rodent do that :P

Now where to start with your new additions :\"> I love them all - the babies are especially cute!! I do love Fixit though, beautiful :)
    lol Pepper says thanks for the vote of confidence, she's glad at least one human believes the innocent act :)

(I on the other hand am looking forward to the soldering irons arrival, dreading the actual fixing of the cage but looking forward to it being fixed so that Calypso can move in and Pepper can get the tank)

I'm glad you like the new additions :) Fixit does seem popular, he's the one a friend singled out on facebook too.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    And you have foster mice staying too?
    AnnB said:

And you have foster mice staying too?

Yeah a friend needed to get some of her mice fostered for a while so some have come to us for a couple of weeks. They're in the living room with Calypso and Dove, while Calypso and Dove will eventually move through to the bedroom the foster mice will stay in the living room until they go home again.
    This way the mice have a place to stay while they need it, we know they're going back home in the end, their own pet human knows they're in good hands and they don't get anywhere near our own pets so we know they won't cause any stress to the Nuts (or to our other pets but the Nuts're the only ones we need to be paranoid with)
    I have a few updates to this now... We repaired the Alexander and Calypso has been really happy in there. Both Calypso and Dove are gradually getting better with people and they seem to be fairly happy hamsters.

I went to Bath hamster show on Saturday and as planned my OH and I took two spare carriers. One was for some mice who were coming to live with us (no photos as they're currently in an introduction) and the other was for a lovely lad we'd arranged to get at the show. This is Brimblebees Terry's Chocolate Orange, a gorgeous rust recessive dappled shorthaired syrian.

As well as Terry coming to live with us I'm pleased to say that yesterday the foster mice became ex-foster mice. A few things changed and it became clear they wouldn't be able to go home as soon as was hoped so instead they'll be staying here permanently. We were finding it easier to meet their needs than we'd expected and this way they won't be waiting in foster indefinetly. Eventually we hope to introduce them to each other to form a single large group who will live in the Elegance the Nuts used to have. I don't have any very recent photos of them so instead I'll finish this post with some photos of Calypso and Dove I took last night

Glad things are going well for you Kyrill - looking forward to seeing more pictures!  =))
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I love Terry's face markings. I hope you get some pics of the mice for us soon.
    I'm hoping the mice in intros will move out of the carrier stage relatively soon, will try and get some photos when they're in something else :)

I'm probably overdue getting photos of everyone not in the intros too, will have to try and get some over the next week or so :)
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    They are lovely photos. I think I have fallen in love with Terry :\">
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Just catching up with your furry adventures Sam, they are all doing so well with your devotion. That`s a hole and a half!!!! @-) Ah, the love of little chewing rodents!! The gerbils look well, baby gerbils are just too cuddly!! Try sitting on the floor with your legs stretched out wearing trousers.....wait for the gerbils to find the leg end and then wait for the tickling to begin!!!! Best therapy for making you laugh!!! x
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

I think I might have to swap my mice for gerbils if all gerbils do is tickle. One of my mice runs inside my dressing gown and then round to my back - she doesn't just tickle though, she starts nipping at my back the little monkey!

I can't wait to see your new mice Kyrill. I'm down to just two mice at the moment, I'm going to have to start keeping an eye open for some new mice myself.