Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Barbering- advice please

pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
edited May 2015 in Behaviour
I suspect Iggy's bare nose (no fur) is due to barbering, but I always thought she was the dominant mouse. Coconut has been more assertive lately though. If this is what's going on, what can I do about it? Do they have to be separated? I only have 2 girls. Do I just leave them be? Thanks!

BTW It's in reference to this- http://www.rodentsnest.com/discussion/3851/marks-on-nose#latest Her nose is more bald now but not infected or anything. 
Living in North Carolina, USA with 1 Syrian hamster, 3 Chinese hamsters, 4 mice, 2 rats (and 2 cats)

Comments

• BaggyMousersBaggyMousers Mouse
    As far as I'm aware, from my own experience with barbering as well, it's completely harmless. My dominant mouse is often barbered ruthlessly by her best friend, she even has a bald patch from the amount of grooming done to her!

I'd let them be personally, it's usually a friendly thing if asserting a bit of dominance here and there.

She is rather cute by the way 
    :\">
  • pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
    Thanks! :) She doesn't seem to be bothered by it. It just looks funny. I just hope it doesn't get a lot worse. Crazy Coconut. lol 
    Living in North Carolina, USA with 1 Syrian hamster, 3 Chinese hamsters, 4 mice, 2 rats (and 2 cats)
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    I agree with BaggyMousers in that barbering is more cosmetic than a heath hazard! It`s still not nice to see the fur shaven off, but the skin underneath is normally not bitten or reddened by the behaviour, so as long as they get on otherwise, I would say just let them get on with it and monitor them. x
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Other than separating them there isn't really much you can do to stop barbering :( Most mice, from the ones I've seen, will make it clear when it's uncomfortable and the barber will scarper when that time comes :P From the affected ones I've had that have been barbered, it doesn't normally get much worse than bald noses and missing whiskers. Although in saying that I did have one mouse that let her sister chew off all her hair :-O Poor Truly spent most of her life looking like a naked mouse and her sister Scrumptious never barbered anyone else.
  • pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
    Well I'm glad it's nothing to be concerned about. It would be nice to get through one month of no vet visits! That and I'd absolutely hate to have to separate my girls. They seem to get along well for the most part, except occasional squeaks and stealing treats from each other. lol 

Poor Truly, awww! I hope Iggy doesn't end up naked! :o I've though about adding girls but I worry it wouldn't work out and now I'd have to worry about more barbering. lol 
  • MuntchkaMuntchka Lemming
    edited May 2015 Posts: 42
    I would like to thank you @pomtreez for posting this and the others for replying, it came in the right time :)

I never had a case of barbering before but I just introduced my male mouse to the group of females and apparently they like him a little bit too much :P I'm more relaxed now that I read that it's not really a health issue
  • pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
    edited May 2015 Posts: 57
    Aww poor boy Muntchka! lol The bare nose is a bit unsightly and alarming. Glad it helped you too! He's probably so happy to be around those girls, he doesn't mind in the least. :x
    Oh yes. He's completely in love :)
  • pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
    I wish I could get my boy fixed so he could be with the girls, but it cost way too much here and the vet said he's too old, so it wouldn't be safe. :( 
    edited May 2015 Posts: 42
    we can never be the substitutes to a mouse companion but you can try to compensate a little bit with lots of attention. I used to let my boy walk around freely on the table where I was working every time I was at home. He had his things and toys on a blanket (so he wouldn't poop the whole table), and every time he wanted attention he could come to my hand.

I never had multimammate but apparently they get along well with mice, maybe they could be good companions for your boy. 
  • pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
    Haha funny you should say that, because I just had my mouse on my table for the first time today, letting him wander around. I fear he will jump off like the hamsters do! I know they have a better sense of height, but still tough to be confident in. I've explored the multimmate but it's just not for me. It would be too difficult and if I have to separate them because it doesn't work out, I don't have the space right now. :( 
    I understand. But try the table more times and see if he tries to jump or not. Mine never tried to jump and I don't let the blanket hang off the table so they don't try to get down that way.
    Thanked by 1pomtreez
  • pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
    I will do that, thanks for the tips! :) 
  • pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
    edited May 2015 Posts: 57
    It worked great! The mice love the table setup! =)) I put Jerry out first, then the girls after. Jerry was a bit hesitant walking around but did explore. The girls just were not really hesitant at all. lol I need to put some mouse wheels on the table instead of hamster ones. X(

I'm glad to see they like it >:D<
    pomtreez said:

It worked great! The mice love the table setup! =)) I put Jerry out first, then the girls after. Jerry was a bit hesitant walking around but did explore. The girls just were not really hesitant at all. lol I need to put some mouse wheels on the table instead of hamster ones. X(

To make it more interesting for Jerry, try putting the girls out first :) I used to do that with my boys that wouldn't take male company and that were too old to be neutered. It kept them very happy rushing around and investigating where all the girls have been :) It also seems to get rid of any nerves or shyness they have as they seem to go straight to the "Helllllooooooo girls!!!!!" mode :P
  • pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
    LOL Zany, I will try that when the girls are awake. Jerry usually comes out first because he'll be awake and they are sleeping, but I can definitely make an effort to take them out first. :D 

pomtreez said:

LOL Zany, I will try that when the girls are awake. Jerry usually comes out first because he'll be awake and they are sleeping, but I can definitely make an effort to take them out first. :D 

If you can't take them out first, just keep aside some toys that htey have used and don't clean them until Jerry's been near them :) I did this with my first males and the ones I couldn't get neutered/keep with company. I still remember the way Chip (my first male) bounced around everything sniffing out his old girlfriends and his baby girls X(
  • pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
    I did do that and Jerry does find it interesting. lol 

Iggy's nose is getting more bare. It was just around the nose itself, now it's moving up to the eyes. Will there ever be a point where I'll have to do something about it? No redness or anything. Just unsightly. lol 
    I'm glad Jerry found it interesting :P

I don't think that most mice mind being barbered, if they do or it starts to get really sore looking or infected then that's the time I'd intervene. to let you see how bad Truly ended up because of her sister, I managed to find the photos :)

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac93/zany_toon/Truly/IMG_0019.jpg
    http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac93/zany_toon/Truly/IMG_0018.jpg

• pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
    Haha wow, she is just plucked all over! Iggy doesn't seem to have any bare spots elsewhere, but her face is naked. lol

http://i61.tinypic.com/2psj22r.jpg
    Awwww, it looks almost like some one has painted her nose pink :x
  • pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
    I wish the pictures wouldn't show up sideways. lol 

See how the bareness is up past her eyes now? Makes for odd looking photos. LOL She doesn't seem bothered by it though. 
    edited June 2015 Posts: 42
    Lol I have to agree with @zany_toon, she kind of looks cute. The bare area is so well delimited that it almost looks like it was made that way on purpose. Is Coconut watching tv shows about hairdressers? X(
  • pomtreezpomtreez Mouse
    Coconut hasn't watched any television, so I guess she just has a natural talent for it. Maybe she hates bangs.  X(