Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Is this a good cage/how many mice will it house?

Hiya, I was just wondering about this cage - a friend recommended it to me:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/mouse_cages/132235

is it good and how many will it house?

Thanks,

Luli x

Comments

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse

Hi Lulitta. To be honest, that cage/tank has 1cm bar spacing and the deep base is more suited to burrowing rodents. If your looking for a cage for more than a few mice, you could consider this one, the Varazzi:

It has narrower bars and is a good size and also allows for hammocks and levels. If you do a google search, the cage should come up, but they also do a smaller version. The image I have posted is the larger one. x

varazzi cage.jpg
    938 x 704 - 94K
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 529
    I'd imagine that cage could work for maybe 3-6 mice depending on the mice? That is just a rough guess though, how many are suitable for each cage varies loads... Like once an Alaska was a little too small for the 12 mice we had in it temporarily, but recently we downsized a group of a similar size to an old style 80cm Barney. The mice were much older and calmer so it's been working well for them (although the group is down to 9 now)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    edited June 2015 Posts: 936

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have two of those extra large gerbilariums and I've found them to be good for mice although as Racingmouse mentioned, it does have 1cm bar spacing and speaking from experience, small or baby mice can escape. The only other disadvantage of the cage is that the door opens upwards and can fall closed and hurt a mouse very easily (if your mice are like mine and come to greet you when you open the door).

I've kept a family of five female mice in one of those cages but I think realistically, four is a better number.