Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Naughty little bloody nuisance...

So there is one mouse in my entire cage, who just will not give it a rest. Doesn't matter who it is, she will try it on, chase them and just be aggressive. She is totally wonderful with me, and i'm not sure if anyone else has this with their mice, but she KNOWS when she is being naughty. I hear the squeaks of her chasing someone and i'll look into the cage, she will stop exactly what she is doing, stare at me and attempt to walk off very slowly in the hopes I hadn't seen her. 

Is there anything I can do for this bullying little girl? I love her to pieces, but she is getting on my nerves now attacking everyone else! If I give her a time out would that work do you think? Separate her for ten minutes? Any ideas appreciated really. The others, especially the smaller ones, have bite marks on their tails and I feel so bad for them. 

Comments

I was going to suggest a time out, its definetly worth a go with her :)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • SummergirlSummergirl Lemming
    When a little girl bullys, I shine a small flash light at them. It usually stops it. Also, I may put something new in the cage, like a new Kleenex box with holes and ladders. This helps too. I think this bullying goes away eventually. None of mine do it anymore.
  • BaggyMousersBaggyMousers Mouse
    Thing is, my bullying girl has just started, she's been with all the girls in the same cage since January and her attitude has suddenly changed! I wonder what this could be from? She was a rescue mouse and her age was sketchy so perhaps she's going through her teenage years  X(

She's a fuzzy rex and I could be wrong, but I may have read, somewhere, sometime, somehow, that this breed were slightly more aggressive? 
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    I haven't seen anything about rex mice possibly being more aggressive Georgia, but to be honest I haven't done much reading on rexes!!

I would try a timeout though. I had one girl that just suddenly went nuts for a week attacking her cagemates. I put her in a carrier on her own for about twenty minutes or so and she was fine when she went back in. It might be something simple that has caused it - have you added anthing new to the cage lately?

Just as a thought, it might be worth keeping an eye on her incase it is a health issue causing the change in temperament if it has been really sudden. I've only had one or two like this where their behaviour changed and it turned out it was neurological but it wasn't bullying that they displayed.
    Just realising this is relevant... We have rexy mice and fuzzy mice and they behave just like our others and are really well settled in their group. Hadn't really registered it was relevant to the thead before lol
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)