Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Tumor

Chewing Gum has a tumor [I'm assuming]. She's my first mouse so I haven't seen one before and could be wrong.
I don't know when it got there. It wasn't there last week when I cleaned the cage. I didn't see it when I fed them two days ago. I held her today while feeding and saw it.
That was less than 30 minutes ago. Most of the time between now and then was sitting on the edge of the bed next to their cage and waiting for her to come back out of her hut so I could see again.
It's pretty big, I think. I don't know. I didn't want to look much. It's on her hind leg, making her butt bulge out some.

I have no clue how old she is. I got her a while back but don't remember when. I made my first post on Mice are Nice the day after I got her [or couple days after], so if there is a way to retrieve that we would at least know how long I had her. She was supposed to be snake food though, I don't know how long she was living there. She was a hopper mouse when I got her. She tried jumping out of the box, made a little popping sound each time she hit the top. That's how I know she was a hopper. That and she grew after I got her.
What do I do with her?
Can it be removed? Should it be? What are her chances of living if we do try to get it removed?
Is removing it even the best option? If so, how do I convince my parents? They hate her.
If not, what else do I do for her? Does she stay with the other two? I wanted to switch them to a different cage but I don't think I will any more.
If I just leave her be, how will I know when she's in enough pain to where she should be put down? And how do I convince my parents to take her for that? They wouldn't care if she's in pain.
Will it keep growing? What do I do if it does? I don't know how long it has been there.
Can I pick her up or will it hurt her? She doesn't step up and she runs. I don't want to touch it and hurt her.

Sorry for the fact this is probably unclear. I'm upset and stuff and it's 3 AM as well.
I can get pictures of her tumor/lump tomorrow probably, if I can convince myself to pick her up again.

Comments

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse

Hi chewinggum. It possibly is a mammary tumour and female mice are very prone to them. In the short term, she will live with it for a time and once it becomes cumbersome, it might restrict her mobility. Where is the lump on her body?

It sounds as if your on your own here if your parents take nothing to do with your mice and in the UK, that would be illegal under welfare act rules, however, mice are mice in many people`s eyes and they won`t spend money on a vet. All you can really do is save up yourself or wait until Chewing Gum seems frail and needs put to sleep by a vet. Sometimes mice just pass on at home but you will know by the time whether she is happy enough or needs assistance. Don`t stress yourself over it honey.

In the meantime, just carry on regardless and let her be. Make sure food and water are very low for her and everything is easy access. No difficult ladders or high shelving. Mice can live with tumours for a good few months or more, so you just need to keep an eye on her.

We have all dealt with these lumps so we understand the upset it causes. It`s all part of keeping little mice as pets and remember, you have given her a nice home rather than being fed to a snake, so doing that was a lovely thing. Let us know how your coping and how Chewing Gum is. x

• BaggyMousersBaggyMousers Mouse

So sorry to hear about your little one. Mice are definitely prone to tumours, so this is one of the downsides of owning these little beauties. 

You should try picking her up gently today and pressing lightly over the lump, if it feels quite hard to you and doesn't really move, retains its solid round form, its most likely going to be a tumour. Pressing gently on it won't hurt her so don't worry. She will let you know if she is in pain, so just be cautious. If it squishes, then it might be an abscess or infection of some kind. For vets to look at mice, it's actually very cheap, for just an inspection, mine costs £7 or £8. And for the medicine they might prescribe on top, another £7 per item. 

So it's not out of the realms of possibility that you might have that money if you were worried or that you could talk to your parents about taking you. Remind them that this is not just a "mouse" this is your pet, your companion, and is equally worth the time and love as any large creature. 

As racingmouse said, don't stress over it. If it is a tumour, they won't be able to take it off and as others will tell you as well, it's futile removing it because if a mouse is prone to tumours, they will probably grow back. Plenty of mice live for a long time even with tumours and only when they become so large, ulcerate (burst through the skin and look red and sore) or seem to really hinder their lives, will they need to be taken to the vet to go to sleep. 

You will know what's best for your mouse, but the general rule is, if they stop doing things they once loved, its probably time to take them to the vets. So if she loves running on her wheel or eating a certain food, if she seems down and not herself, it maybe time to let her go. Nobody wants their little friends in pain or misery. Especially through illness. 

If it's a tumour, you'd probably be prescribed an anti-inflammatory pain killer, i've always been given 'Prednisolone' a small tablet that you can crush up and feed her in malt paste or peanut butter. This will make sure she is not in any pain from the tumour and keep her going for longer. My vet said it slows the growth of the tumour. 

If it's an abscess you will be given some antibiotics which you can again feed her directly. After about a week it should be gone. 

And tumours can get really sizeable before they even bother a mouse, so don't worry about her, you'd be so surprised at how tough and resilient and how much those little mice fight for their lives. They really are admirable little creatures. 

This forum is a great support network for mouse/rodent and animal lovers. 

:)
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    I can't add to the great advice you have already received but just wanted to say think of the lovely life you have given her and will continue giving her.
  • chewinggumchewinggum Lemming
    racingmouse:
    The tumor/lump is on her back leg, the right one I think. It might not be exactly on the leg but close to it. I don't know I haven't checked since last night. I'll probably try to pick her up tonight and look again.

I live in the US and all [Florida] so I don't know if ignoring her needs are illegal or anything. I don't know what your welfare act entails anyway, but since I don't live there I suppose it doesn't matter. 

I have no job or anything, so saving up will be difficult. I haven't brought it up to my parents yet, so it's possible they may take her. I doubt it though, knowing them. My mother in particular hates the mice, and the hamster, and the ferret. My stepdad is pretty okay with them, he'll even hold them from time to time. But I can't go to just him, he doesn't do anything without my mother's consent. 
    My mother won't do anything for any of the animals. The only times I remember her taking animals to the vet was for her [mine, technically, but she loved her] cat who had kidney failure, and my dog went when he couldn't move his back legs. The other time was just recently, my dog got a checkup. Because my stepdad always takes his dog and my mom knew I'd throw a fit if Jasper didn't get one too. It's the first one he's had in years.
    The ferret needs vaccinations, she won't take him. Jasper has two rotten teeth and a lump growing on his eyelid, she won't take him. Jasper also coughs and hacks every time he drinks water. My mom says it's normal, but Tosha doesn't do that, and it concerns me. I could give more examples, but I don't think I should. 

The new cage isn't a good idea, then. Hopefully Chewing Gum will live awhile even if it is a tumor. 
    I feed them on top of their hut, cos there's an indent there. Is that too high up? They usually push the bedding up so it's level with the top of the hut anyway.

BaggyMousers: 
    I knew they were prone to tumors, but I didn't really expect it to happen. Especially not to the first one I got [really, I thought Junk would go first, but that's pretty morbid to say]. Didn't expect my dachshund to have back problems, but of course he did. Don't think anyone ever really expects those things, though. Probably should.

I guess I'll feel it tonight, if I can find a way to get her to stay still. She still runs and squints her eyes at me when I try to pick her up, so she isn't acting any different. Probably was part of why I was so shocked, she didn't have any signs that anything was wrong or different. 
    The infection is sounding like it would be the better outcome, so I guess I'll hope it's that. 
    Converting that to $, that isn't too much. But it is more then I have. And I have no clue if that's what they'll even charge here.
    Not to mention I have to find a vet who can treat her, or at least look at her. It was hard to find someone who treated ferrets, and she even said she didn't like treating small animals like ferrets. I doubt she'll look at my mouse. If there's no vet close by who can look, she's definitely not getting any help. I can't drive [I don't want to learn], and my parents wouldn't drive me. They work most days anyway and probably couldn't even if they wanted to. 

And like I said in reply to racingmouse, my mom doesn't care about large creatures either, really. Maybe it's a money problem, I don't know, but it really seems like she doesn't like our animals, any of them. She threatened to get the cat declawed just yesterday, which costs money, so I don't think money is the problem for her. 

As for things she loves, that isn't much. She used to run on the wheel, then Junk kind of took it. There isn't really room for a second one in the tank. I've tried putting her in a runabout ball before, and she just kind of sits there in it. She likes to eat, though. She's fat, and I was going to switch diets to see if that helped her weight.
    But now I'm unsure if I should change her food. If I change it and she does lose weight, I wouldn't know if it was the new food or because she stopped eating because she was hurting. If I keep her on the food we have now it doesn't seem likely her weight will go down unless she stops eating for one reason or another. But the weight she has isn't good for her, I'm sure, so I don't know what to do about that. 

I'll hope I can take her and get her something to help her, no matter what her lump turns out to be. Don't know what malt paste is, but I can try peanut butter if I get that type of medicine. 

Mice are definitely tough, I've seen that personally with my three. 
    And a random male who I witnessed escape from a snake tank and now lives in the pet store, I've seen him the last few times I've been there. He refuses to let me catch him. XD

Nicky:
    I kind of feel like I gave her a crappy life, with that sucky tank she has to live in. But I suppose even a crappy life is better than being snake food. 
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Aw I think you sound like a very caring person. It's hard for you if your mum won't listen. Sorry I can't be more help but I am quite new to mice myself.
    Just held her [she was kind enough to not run away, but seemed more skittish than usual when in my hands], and I'm pretty sure I can say it's a tumor. I was expecting it to have doubled in size or something just because of the range of days it sprung up in, but it's just the same size from what I remember.
    It did feel harder then it did yesterday, but I had just brushed my fingers over it yesterday and actually felt it today. If it is harder, and I'm not imaging it, does that mean anything?

It isn't exactly on her leg as I thought it was, but it is really close. She still runs like heck when trying to get away from me though. I set her back down in the cage and she was gone, right into the hut.

Eh, I kind of feel okay-er [not a word] about it, now that the intial shock is gone. Still sad, though, but at least she seems pretty much unaffected by it right now.

I'd just really like one of my animals to pass on because of old age for once. I'd at least know it was something I couldn't have prevented, then.
    Has never happened for me [except for once, but I actually think it was heat related, Florida heat is bad].
    edited June 2015 Posts: 1,229

Hi chewinggum. It sounds as if your mother is happy to have pets but not have them seen by a vet unless she thinks it`s necessary and half the population think that way so it`s not unheard of. The main thing is, you are there for your mice and your other pets and in my experience, all the mice I had who developed tumours all passed at home. Some quickly, some not so fast, but Chewing Gum will eventually slow down due to her lump once it starts to grow. Being located near the back leg, it may lift her leg up and she may end up with mobility problems, so you would need to adjust the tank to suit her needs and definitely make sure she can reach water and food easily without having to climb into a dish or reach up. How do you have your cage/tank set up exactly?

Right now, you want to be keeping everything easy for them all. Maybe do some looking up about vets in your local area being mindful that if you do ever need to get to one, you know where they are and what they would charge for a small animal consultation or euthanasia. I know a forum member from a while back from Canada and she recently had one of her gerbils put to sleep due to an internal tumour and it cost...wait for it...$113!!!!! It`s like stealing money. Over in the UK, I would expect to pay something like £10. It`s no wonder folks in the states can`t afford vet fees. Especially if they charge this for a gerbil!

As for the heat where you are, mice and small animals in general don`t cope well with heat, so you want to be keeping the room as cool as possible, use a fan running and open doors/windows when you are around, making sure no cats or other predators sneak in. Keep blinds half closed to keep the sun out. Cool a bottle of water in the freezer when it`s really hot and place this in their cage or cool a ceramic dish or tile for the mice to sit on. x

The advice racing mouse gave was just perfect really. Couldn't add anything to it! 

You should just try to give her the best life she has left now, give her lots of love attention and treats and not worry so much because in all honesty a trip to the vets, though may ease your mind temporarily, will not have any permanent solution. So you not being able to go isn't an issue. I do agree with racing mouse though that you should enquire about euthanasia and find out for future how much it might be. 

Why would you think you've given her a bad life? 
    edited June 2015 Posts: 47
    I don't think she'll have problems with getting around or anything. There's no ramps or anything, the only think vaguely like one is the pile of bedding they tend to make themselves. The water bottle is slightly behind/next to the wheel, because it hangs too low and hits the bedding if put anywhere else. 
    The food is on top of the hut usually, which is next to the pile of bedding. I'm thinking she should be able to climb up the bedding just fine but maybe not when the tumor gets bigger. 

My parents have already established that she's not going to be taken to the vet. 

They're indoors, not outdoors, so I don't the heat is a big deal. My room is almost always 80 [or so the thermostat says] with the ceiling fan running on its lowest level. 

-----
    She can't go to the vets even to be put down. My parents said its a waste of money. They also said I couldn't spend my own cash on it if I managed to get enough. 

She has a tiny tank, lives with a mouse she hates, is really fat, has no enrichment in her tank other then the wheel and occasionally a toilet paper tube, and probably is freaked out by all the other animals packed into my room. Most of them would eat her if given the chance, and I bet she can sense that. She also isn't hand tame, really, and I probably scare the crap out of her too. 

Edit----
    I'm going on a trip for around 4 or 5 days. 
    Can I just fill the water bottle completely and dump a lot of food in and hope they'll be fine, or have my parents feed them?
    I really don't want my parents in my room or around my animals. So if feeding them before I leave would work in any way, I want to do that even if having parents feed them is a better option.
    This also goes for my hamster [I'm assuming he'll be fine if the mice are], bird [I think he'll be okay], ferret [don't know about him]. I know the snake will be fine, as long as I fill her water bowl. 
    I'd have somebody feed your pets. It's not fair to let them go for four days and five nights without fresh food or water. 

If you really think their life is terrible with you maybe you should consider giving them up for adoption or a shelter, keeping hold of them until the shelter can find somebody to take them off your hands who may be able to offer them a better home. 

I'd personally take the mice if you weren't a very long trip away. I mean, i'm willing to drive to Scotland but I think Florida might just be out of my range…

But I say this only from the things you've mentioned in the previous posts. If you love your animals and can offer them companionship and love then i'd say it's not a bad life after all.
    But absolutely do not even consider leaving them without water for 5 days in temperatures you've mentioned. That's not responsible.

You seem to be in a situation where you want the best for your pets but your parents don`t want to know, full stop and there is no space for that when keeping animals really. It`s all about making sure their basic needs are met and even though you have no self means of paying for a vet, this could count towards neglect. Sorry to use that word but if an animal needs medical help, it`s either see a vet or leave it to die. Your ferret for example might require check up`s in his/her old age and depending on what other pets you have, they all have complex needs. Mice are tough, but they do suffer from ailments that many see as unimportant because they are small and die anyway, so what`s the point of spending money on a vet? Okay, a mouse tumour is usually best left alone anyway as removing them usually causes recurrence, but near the end of life, they can cause pain and a slow death, so euthanasia is sometimes the better option to end the suffering.

If your parents are able to follow simple instruction and feed/water your pets if you write down what you wish them to do for each pet and leave instruction next to each animals cage, I`m sure they would be able to check on them every day or every few days? That`s not a lot to ask? No contact has to be made, just making sure they have water, enough food and are fine in themselves. x

So, uh, Chewing Gum's first tumor has definitely grown. Will it affect her, uh, waste removal because of where it is? Cos it's kind of over that area now.
    And some more have sprouted. I think any way.
    Just picked her up, and saw her front leg was bulging a bit. Maybe it was like tendons or something? I don't know, it felt like a whole bunch of little bumps in there, not a big whole one. It wasn't real big, not nearly the size of her first tumor was when I found it.
    I think it may be starting on the other front leg as well, but I'm unsure. It looked a little puffy but I didn't feel anything when I touched it. It wasn't as noticable as her right front leg either.

Are those ones even tumors? And is there a reason why they're growing on her legs?
    The first one originated from her underbelly, but these ones on the top, are kind of on what I call her shoulder [no clue if that's what it actually is, it's just the joint where the leg connects to the main body. Mouse anatomy isn't my thing].
    She probably won't be able to walk anymore if those ones do grow, will she?

She has started walking a little funny, but doesn't seem to effect her all too much. She seems to still be acting more or less the same.
    I would imagine these new lumps are related mammary tumours because the tissue runs right along that tummy and up to the neck. So yes, they could well be related. It`s such a shame. Her mobility could soon be affected chewinggum and the last thing you want is that she can`t reach water of feed herself. What you need to do now is check on her daily throught the day and watch how she is coping. x
    edited July 2015 Posts: 47
    She's definitely lost weight now. She can reach the water for sure, since her hiding spot is right next to it.
    I'm going to place some food next to the hut as well as on top of it, in case she can't reach it and that's why she's lost weight. I'll try to find a little dish or something to put it in, the bedding is real loose and she's never been one to burrow, she wouldn't retrieve food from the bedding, I'm pretty sure.
    First tumor is horribly swollen. Looks like it's going to pop, almost.
    No growth on her left 'arm', a tiny bit on her right.

In case she can reach food but had just stopped eating, is there anything good for her yet irresistible I could try to have her eat?
    I'm not in my room most of the day, so I'm really unsure if she's been eating or not. The weight dropped quickly though. Over two nights, if even that. I'm sure she didn't look that small yesterday morning. Maybe the lump is just making her seem small now.
    She's skinnier than Junk, but not Box skinny yet.
    But yeah, any foods?
    If it matters any at all, I saw her gnawing on the back of the hut last night. She made a hole through it.

Edit: Heard chewing and got up to see who it was. Chewing Gum is on top of the hut, so she can reach up there. She's got a sunflower seed or something, that doesn't really matter and I didn't want to get too close and scare her off or anything.
    But she does seem to be eating, at least a little.
    The lump is so big though. She's sitting on it, pretty much, foot poking out in front of her.
    Lumps can get huge and the mice can still be perfectly happy. Its when it ulcerates that you should consider taking her to the vets. That, in my opinion, is when they are on their last legs. 

Weight loss is normal when mice have tumours, even though they may eat regularly. Try to supplement her usual diet with high protein, yummy treats (I hope this gives them a few extra calories to keep weight on and keeps them happy) like peanut butter smothered bread or pasta. 

Could you post a picture of her?
    I`m afraid it`s only a matter if time before she starts to go downhill. care for her as best you can and give her love and understanding. x
    I've already stated multiple times that I can't take her to the vets. She would have already gone if I was able to.

I'll try peanut butter I guess.
    Any type of peanut butter and plain white bread?

She was in a mouse pile with Junk and Box but ran off when she saw me. I'll try and get a picture when she comes back out.
    I have pictures of her, but I'm assuming you want some with the tumor.
    If you can't take her to the vets maybe you should consider not having pets until later on? Once chewingum passes away, if you can't afford to look after more then perhaps wait until you can take care of them this way. 

There is not much else anyone can say really apart from feed her well and look after her as best you can right now. 

Yes. A photo with the tumours would be good to judge how well or unwell she is. 
    It's not a money issue. I have money. I didn't a couple weeks ago, but I've gained at least $30 since then.
    I'm not allowed to take her. 'It's just an animal.'
    The issue is the people who own me.

But, on a lighter note, she actually looks a lot better today. Still skinny but doesn't look nearly as frail as last night.
    Probably won't stay that way for long, I know, but at least she seems to be feeling better right now. She's even grooming herself and letting the others sit on her again. But she is still acting a little distant.
    Her breathing is a little off, but it isn't any worse than the week this thing sprouted.

Images will come tomorrow if I can get her to stay still for them and find a way to get them on my laptop.
    People don`t `own` you chewing gum, they can influence you or bully/threaten you. If you mean your parents, they can`t be very understanding if they allow your pets never to see a vet unless they wish it. You obviously feel you have to ask their permission to see a vet, but if you have your own money and you have a vet office nearby, I would just go and not even tell them if your old enough to make your own decisions. Just trying to help. x
    edited July 2015 Posts: 47
    I am very much owned. I can't decide what I eat, wear, where I go, when I go places, who I can be friends with, along with other things.
    Owning animals was pretty much the only thing I could decide for myself. When I was with my dad. Now that I'm with my mom, it's not. The animals are her bartering chips. If I don't want to do something [and I'm not talking about housework. I'm talking about things I should be in control of, like what I wear], the animals are her first threat. She's always saying she's going to let them go in the backyard, the mice especially. After my animals are gone, I'm not allowed to get anymore. Marshall and Anabelle are the only ones with a long enough lifespan to where I'll be able to take them with me when I move out.
    Not saying my mom is horrible or anything, she's not, but she can be especially cruel when it comes to my pets.

But onto Chewing Gum.
    There's no vets nearby that treat mice. I'm pretty sure I stated that earlier. And something was said on this thread about $100+ for a gerbil. I don't think my 30 bucks are going to cut it if that's the actual price.

She's still alive, I'm sure you've gathered, but I feel like not for much longer. The tumor in her front leg reached the size of a peanut and has seemingly stopped growing. The one on her tummy/butt/leg areas continues to grow.
    It looks horrible now. Hasn't 'popped', but it is a deep red/purple in a couple places, looks kind of like a bruise.
    As I said a couple posts ago, I'm not sure if it's affecting how she uses the bathroom. The way it looks, I'm surprised she can at all. I'm sure it's painful.
    When she's resting, her breathing is very heavy and irregular. When she's moving, though, she acts almost completely normal [breathing included], other than her waddling.
    I'm sure she's in pain by now, even if she's not showing it.
    If she's still here in the morning, I'll try once more to convince my parents to take her. It sounds like she should be put down now, right? I have no experience in this, so I don't know how to tell when is the right time.

Also, for protein. I was told that could help. Her new food mix that all my rodents share is full of nuts and the like, I'm not actually sure if it's good for them, but with all the seeds and fruit it has in it I'm assuming it is.
    I've also been dropping three or four pieces of ferret food in every couple of days. I hope that's alright? It doesn't seem to harm them, Box likes it especially, and ferret food has high protein which is why I thought it might help Chewing Gum.

So I guess that's the update for now. She's still kicking at the moment. Other two girls are healthy.
    My hamster is starting to look old, but that's probably because he is getting old.
    And all the other animals are the same as ever [though the ferret is less smelly, he got a bath today].
    edited July 2015 Posts: 1,229

Protein won`t help sadly. Mice that are not babies/young or nursing mothers don`t require high amounts of protein so a maintenance diet would be around 14/15%. Hopefully someone who knows better will correct me on that amount but high protein in older animals is not necessary.  Overall, many hamsters/mouse/rat mixes can vary in protein content and I imagine ferret food might be quite high?

She will not be long now until the tumour affects her so yes, euthanasia is sometimes the option to take, but under the circumstances, your hands are tied and that`s not your fault. By keeping them though knowing your mother is reluctant to allow you to contact or see a vet is worrying. Mice are small, not very long lived rodents and she possibly takes the stand that they are not worth throwing good money at. But your ferrets are a different matter as they are larger and usually have their own illnesses. Are they jills or hobs? Males or female that is?

Female ferrets for example need speying as they can die from some kind of anemia unless they are bred all the time and that`s not good either for the poor female. male ferrets are normally bigger than the females and stink!

Anyway, I digress.... do what you can for the mice in the meantime but the one with the tumours won`t be with you much longer. x

It was supposed to help her keep weight on, I believe. Doesn't look like it did. The ferret food I have is at least 20%, but I only drop a couple pieces in every few days and they take their time in eating them.

But, if I was able to convince my parents today, does it sound like today would be a good day to take her? Or should she be left for a little longer?
    Not saying I can take her, parents aren't even home yet so I haven't spoken to them.

Marshall is a male. He doesn't have any health problems, other than being deaf and coughing occasionally [usually after he eats]. He needs vaccinations, which have been promised but not received yet.

All ferrets in the US come fixed anyway. Unless you get from a private breeder [which only a couple exist, and they're hugely overpriced], your ferret comes home fixed and scent glands removed. They actually arrive at the pet store like that.
    And I knew the thing about female ferrets already.
    Female ferrets also stink just as bad as males. Just saying. My friend had a female and she smelled worse than my boy. Maybe she didn't bathe it, I don't know, but Marshall smelled like a flower compared to it.
    Removing scent glands [which is done before they arrive at pet stores, like I said], doesn't actually help much because the majority of their scent comes from the oil on their fur. Or so I was told.

Don't think there's much else I can do, then.
    I've discovered she likes pumpkin seeds, though. They're in the food mix I have and she always grabs those first.

I thought about having a few rescue ferrets a while back but the smell and their teeth put me off! I`m better off with mice and hamsters because I know them best.

The vaccinations you mention are usually if you want your ferret to roam about and vaccinations cover them for dog distemper and a few other things. It`s a bit debatable in the UK as some people say it can cause them health problems, but then so will the diseases if they catch any! So I suppose the decision comes down to where and how the ferrets are kept and allowed to be. Especially where dogs have been.

How is little mousey today?

They don't smell too bad. You get used to it, just like you get used to the rodent smell. No one cares enter my room though. Guess ferret smell, hamster and mouse smell, bird smell, and snake smell [do snakes even smell?] is too much for them.
    And they don't bite too hard. It's usually just playing when they do, they'll hiss and let you know when they're actually mad.
    I never had to train Marshall not to bite, he does bite, but only playing, and it's really nibbles more than anything.
    Truthfully, his claws hurt more. He doesn't react to scruffing so it's really hard to cut them.
    They do eat rodents, though. So I wouldn't have one unless cages were 100% secure. They also need lots of out of cage time. 30 minutes is the technical minimum, but most ferret owners who are passionate about it have them out for 5 hours+. Some even have free range all the time. My house isn't ferret proof enough for that, though.

I walk him, so he does need the vaccinations. He also needs a harness that fits him better. My dogs are vaccinated, and up to date I think. Marshall does play with the dogs.

She's okay. She always looks better in the morning than at night, for some reason. I guess by night she's probably pretty worn down. She's taken to sleeping in the wheel, so Junk and Box can't really run. Junk was the runner, Box not so much.
    Unrelated to her, but still a mouse question.
    Can a mouse be skinny and still healthy?
    Box is really skinny, but she doesn't seem ill or anything. She really has the most personality out of all three of my move.

Thin mice are probably healthier than obese mice, yes. You don`t really want them being overweight but some mice can be bigger just genetically. If they have a varied diet and are not fed sugars or human foods all the time, they should maintain a nice weight. Are Box & Junk healthy, no lumps or skin problems? Would be nice for you if they were fine since chewie has the tumour and probably won`t be around much longer. She will seem tired because tumours can grow big and cumbersome. Is she still able to eat/drink and get around on the floor of the cage? Keep things easy for them all and it will be a waiting game now really. If you see her looking very ill, not moving or her breathing is very slow or her body feels cold, it`s safe to say she`s dying. So watch for signs of this. If the other two mice seem agitated or keeping their distance, you could gently remove her from the cage once you know this is happening, but they can also be left in the cage to pass if the other mice are sleeping or not bothered.

I despise tumours in mice because they are such lovely little pets and don`t deserve these afflictions. x

Chewing Gum passed away. She'll be buried later today.

Junk has a tumor. It's very small right now, around the size of my pinky nail, and not very large, poking out a tiny bit. It's started in the exact same place Chewing Gum's first one did.
    Is there anyway to counter act it, since it's so small right now? Chewing Gum's was quite a bit larger than Junk's when I found it.

Box is healthy. Her twitchy self. She's tiny, super hyper.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

I'm so sorry. Rest in peace Chewing Gum.

There's very little you can do about tumours unfortunately. You could ask if a vet could operate but even then, tumours tend to grow again.

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Very sorry you lost Chewing gum x