Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Any Taming Tips Please

The newbies Hermione and Beatrix are very young and very fast!!! I have never had mice this young and feel a bit daunted when it comes to taming them. Pumpkin and Boo were tame when I got them and Hocus just came to me. I know it will take a while but I don't want to worry them. Any advice would be most welcome .

Comments

• BaggyMousersBaggyMousers Mouse
    Awww Hermione and Beatrix! Beautiful names! How young are they? I found that when I had little babies they were easiest tamed by handling them. I know that is a lame simple piece of advice, but Mini mouse is the most tame I have now just because I was handling her from a very young age. 

Also, food. Find their favourite food and then be really mean and only let them have it when you are there. My least sociable mouse has now become really brave and bold just because she knows the routine, every night I will sit in front of her cage and offer her a pumpkin seed. She snatches it away but its done wonders in taming her. I think her personality will always be quite skittish though, I think with some mice you have to accept that don't you? They all are very different!

I think spending enough time in from the cage you can tell their personalities and what they will be like with you. If you just leave your hand in the cage with them, see what they do. My skittish mouse used to avoid it like the plague, she wanted nothing to do with me, but after months of regular treats and food training, she comes out expecting something! My other girls are curious and jump on my hand, climb onto me and want to know what I'm doing. Give them enough time doing this they get very used to your hands and are very willing to come out, jump on your hand when you put it out for them. 
    Thanked by 1Leash
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Thank you that's great advice. They are 4 weeks old.
    One more thing - I find peanut butter is a great persuader! 
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Oh great . thank you.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    I never see them they are so fast, I knew they were in their eggbox so I thought I would offer them a treat. First I tried sunflower no luck then the same with a cornflake then I put a tiny bit of malt paste on the cornflake and Hurrah I felt one of them licking it off. When I peeked in the box I saw it was Hermione.Hopefully I will be able to bribe Beatrix with the malt paste, she seems a lot more worried then Hermione and will sometimes just freeze with terror.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    The good thing is that they are young so it shouldn't take them long to discover how good malt paste is!
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    True :D
  • MuntchkaMuntchka Lemming
    edited June 2015 Posts: 42
    I raised 5 babies recently and kept 2 of them. They were all equally handled but the girl I kept is like your Hermione and Beatrix, I even ended calling her Speedy. She would just squeak at the sight of my hand and run away.
    Like the others said, give them treats, and for this I would recommend approaching the very calmly, or they will disappear in a flash. Or even, put your hand in the cage near where they're hiding and leave it still for a while, they will get curious and eventually they will go and smell you.
    Another thing that I do is during their playtime outside the cage. I prepare their playground on a table I give them some treats and then I sit on the table with my arm and hand still so Speedy can explore it without being afraid. She is still not coming to the palm of my hand like the others but she is coming to explore and climb my arm.
    Besides that I can only say, be patient :)
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    I will keep putting my hand in and offering treats. They will not come out when I am near the cage but hopefully one day lol
  • MuntchkaMuntchka Lemming
    They will get used to you eventually
    Time and patience! They will get used to you. This is a picture of some of mine hounding me for the malt paste! Once they get a taste for it, and are used to your hands, they will genuinely follow you around the cage for it! It's difficult when you have to give one her medication on malt paste though and have to fight off the rest!  X(

malt paste.jpg
    1808 x 1941 - 644K
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    That's a fabulous photo BM.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Love the photo :x I think your right about the malt paste. Last night I put some on a cornflake again and held it in the egg box and they both took it. Malt paste rules lol.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Had a real breakthrough last night I put my hand in with a treat with malt paste on and just as I got cramp and was about to move my hand Hermione came out of the egg box and ran from toy to toy. I kept very still as I new she might çome near my hand. Eventually she put her little paws on my hand and ate the malt paste.
    :D Beatrix also came out but played it safe by hiding in a tube and peeking out. The cramp went after about an hour lol
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Wow, that's dedication for you! Sounds as if your patience was rewarded though even if your poor arm was suffering.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    AnnB said:

Wow, that's dedication for you! Sounds as if your patience was rewarded though even if your poor arm was suffering.

To be honest AnnB all I was thinking was 'For God sake go away' lol
    Hahahaha!  X(

That is so funny, i love your dedication too!  
  • LeashLeash Lemming
    I was going to ask the same question, but now I don't even have to :) All your replies are ever so useful! I've rescued 3 young girls. 2 of them (Darla and Dax) are quite tame, but Grey is in a massive stress every time I try to make friends. And I shall definitely try peanut butter :) I'm sure they'll love it.

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

Hi Leash and welcome to the forum.

Let us know how you get on with the peanut butter.

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Hi Leash and welcome. Everyone is right, time and patience is the key .
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Welcome tot he forum Leash :) I'm glad that you have found the advice here useful - please let us know how you get on with your mice :)