Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Free Ranging and Playtime

BaggyMousersBaggyMousers Mouse
edited June 2015 in Cages and Environmentals
Just wanted to know what everybody uses for the playtime out of the cage as i'd like to get some interesting things for my mice that they don't already have. Any photos of out of cage playtime would be useful too! I have one mouse who, though she is in a massive cage with so much to do, seems to need extra stimulation. 

All ideas welcome :)

:)

Comments

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse

Hey Baggy. I saw a CBBies children`s show the other afternoon (how sad am I?!!) called, "My Pet And Me" and a little girl had three female mice. She appeared on the show to let viewers see her pet mice and at cleaning time, she had this fab cardboard castle, or what looked like cardboard. It had doors, different levels and a fort, so the mice couldn`t escape the high walls! I you go to the BBC website, click on iPlayer and look for My Pet And Me using the search, the show should be on the list and you can watch the show. It`s only about 15 minutes long.

I thought this might be a good idea as a play pen with treats scattered on the levels and other tubes and toys on the ground floor? I`m sure those castles can be bought online but a search would need to be done to find them for sale. I`ll see what I can find online and post a link if I find any. x

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I've used all sorts of plastic children's toys but the best fun my mice have is with something they sort of designed themselves. They free range on my bed and I cover the bed in an old sheet and blanket. The mice have chewed holes in the top sheet and just delight in running around between the old blanket underneath and the sheet. Every so often they'll pop up through the holes in the sheet.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 1,267

Seapets sell these: Sorry about the small image! Just google `mouse play castle` and these come up.

mouse castle!.JPG
    584 x 348 - 33K
  • BaggyMousersBaggyMousers Mouse
    Yes!!! That castle looks TOTALLY perfect! Thanks racing mouse! 

And i do love the idea of them having a nice bit of space to run about so i'll have to find a plastic sheet and cover the bed with it, see if they like that, maybe put a few toys on too. Brilliant 
    :))
    Glad you like it Baggy. I figured for the price, you could adapt it to suit and put some of the mice`s tubes and other small items inside like bits of fleece for them to hide in and scatter some millet or pick off pieces from a millet spray and scatter those in the castle for the mice to find. :) x
  • CritteryCrittery Overlord

"My Pet And Me" and a little girl had three female mice.

I applied for Aiden to go on the show with Truffles (long-eared hedgehog) but it doesn't look like they want him to - shame!
    :-/
    crittery.co.uk
    Exotic rodent husbandry and rescue;
    Resource website for rodents and small mammals;

Please like us on facebook! www.facebook.com/critteryuk
    Ah, another fan of the show! What a shame, that would have been nice to watch Crittery. I`ve seen a few shows with chickens, giant African land snail, mice and the other afternoon, they done rats, but I missed that one, just caught the end of it while being on the BBC news channel. Oh and stick insects! x
    Crittery said:

I applied for Aiden to go on the show with Truffles (long-eared hedgehog) but it doesn't look like they want him to - shame!
    :-/

That would've been awesome! They've missed out on some amazing TV time there. Silly people :(
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
    I think the deadline got extended to end June, so still could  - but I think we'd have heard by now.

Typical though, I turned down the one show but the don't get my kid on the one I want! :p
    crittery.co.uk

It was racing pigeons on todays show! I`m nursing a sore head today so I`m making that my excuse for tuning into children`s tv! x
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

Well I know you don't drink April so that can't be the reason for your sore head, I hope you feel better soon.

What a shame they haven't contacted you Christine, I have to say that appearing on TV would be my worst nightmare though!

• BaggyMousersBaggyMousers Mouse
    You turned down the one show Christine??!!! What were you to be on there for? That sounds so exciting! Im the opposite Ann I think i'd love the cameras!  B-) B-)

It was a flare up of my neck pain Ann, I had a terrible pain episode late yesterday and still feeling as if I`ve been dragged through a hedge backwards.

Did you decide to get a castle play pen Baggy? I suppose with a bit of DIY, you could construct something similar from cardboard boxes! x

You turned down the one show Christine??!!!

More than once! :p

The recent one was the 'prize-winning pets' thing. Not really of any relevance to my lot, but I get media enquiries via crittery a fair amount. I pointed them at the midlands hamster club and the exotic hedgehog rescue (for the list of recommended breeders).

I don't think I'd do well on camera anyhow, sometimes I struggle with people in person!
    ;)

I'll point them at your way next time shall I baggymousers?

RM - hope your neck is feeling better today. Do heat packs help at all for you?
    crittery.co.uk

Do let us know if you ever appear on anything Crittery, it would be great to see you and your animals and wee boy! Sadly, this is me just logging in to catch up but I`ve been in hellish pain and still don`t feel well but I`m off to have some rest now. These neck headaches are a nightmare, they just keen on and on. I tried heat using a water bottle and it never helped. I think I need those patches that numb nerves! x
  • superwolfsuperwolf Mouse
    Oh no April, I hope the pain goes soon!

Would definitely like to see your animals on the telly Crittery! :)