Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Upcoming Heatwave!

So what is everybody going to do to take precautions with the meeces? How can I keep the darlings cool and comfortable? I know how hot i've been during the summers and heatwaves and I worry about them (probably too much) 

Will a gentle fan do? I don't like leaving the windows open (burglaries in the area and such)

Comments

• superwolfsuperwolf Mouse
    Oh, that's a point I hadn't thought of!

I keep a thermometer by the cage so I can monitor if it's got really hot or cold, but the mouse room doesn't get much direct sunlight, so I don't think it'll overheat too much.

I've heard of using tiles and things made of terracotta (e.g. flower pots) to provide a cool area for them, but I get scared they'd tip them over and get stuck. :-*
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse

Since I only (I say only!) have the one Russian dwarf hamster, I have a floor fan running, the bedroom door and upstairs windows open and as Maia mentioned, you can place a terracotta dish or pot in the fridge or better still, a marble tile. Marble doesn`t get warm and chinchilla`s can overheat, so they need one in their cage all the time.

Some people would ay a fan makes no difference. IT DOES! It helps to move the warm air around and creates a nice breeze. Just don`t have it pointed directly at the cage. My vet even advised this.

Change the water twice a day to stop it becoming warm and offer a frozen pea or a small slice of apple. x

Are we due a heatwave? I hadn't heard that at all... We'll keep doing what we usually do to keep the room a consistent temperature :P Curtains closed to prevent direct sunlight getting in, window vents open, door open to let air circulate if needed. (In winter its curtains closed, door closed, heater as needed)
    If thats not enough then we'll start with frozen babyfood as treats, putting rocks/tiles in cages e.t.c but the room never usually gets warm enough for us to need to worry too much
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

Very good point Maria makes about terracotta pots, one of my mice got stuck underneath an upturned ceramic bowl once.

I put a fan on in the room and sometimes I hang damp towels in the windows if it's really hot. The mice seem to cope much better than I do which is amazing really as they're so small. Maria's idea of a digging pot/sprouting seeds might also help to keep mice cool.

• NickyNicky Mouse
    For my Guinea pigs I put a tile in I also wrap a freezable ice block in fleece,would I be able to do this with mice?
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Hey, that's a great idea as long as the block contains frozen water and not something poisonous.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    I think it's just water will check if I can't use that I may just freeze some little plastic bottles filled with water.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Ohhhh just thought MCE are so small the bottle idea may not be a good one. :-/
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Good grief of course I ment mice lol
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    We knew what you meant >:D<
    I know some people put ice cubes in their pets water bottles, maybe that might be a good idea for some here?
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • BaggyMousersBaggyMousers Mouse
    Right, loads of ideas here and I definitely didn't know about the fan thing, thank you very much for letting me know NOT to have it pointing directly at their cage! I'm just concerned because the forecast for my area is ridiculously hot this week, temperatures reaching 31c! 

Anyway, windows open is a big no for me as I live in a Bungalow… 

I love the cold stones and pieces of pots idea. Obviously taking into account the dangerous aspects. I froze some water last night in a small tupperware container and put it in with my mice to see how they would react to it, they all avoided it like the plague! Think it wasn't hot enough for them to want to sit on it! Though one did attempt to chew through it. 
    X(

I was thinking of wrapping some frozen water in something, but I thought against it because when it melts through the night I didn't want the cage absolutely drenched or risk any sort of dampness related chest infections?

I'm going to try the cold stone idea first when the heat does come and just see how they all cope! It's been very muggy near me and so i've been treating them to partially frozen water to drink and they just love it. 

It`s the muggy heat I can`t stand and Scotland is to hit 25/27 degrees C tomorrow and upwards, although Thursday/Friday it`s to settle a bit. I have an oscalating (can`t spell that word!) floor fan that I`ve had for years and it works great. Wafting the air around even if the air is warm, it`s better to have a light warm breeze than none at all! I changed Chub`s water this afternoon to keep it cold rather than like warm! He was sat in a hole next to his water this morning when I got up waiting for his wee slice of apple! x

The muggy heat is absolutely awful here, so I had an ingenious idea this morning, most of my mice are coping fine, even cuddled up together in this warm warm weather! But my Wally is looking hot and bothered and like she is struggling a bit so I put a slice of frozen bread in the cage. No worries about cleanliness of frozen bread or leaving the cage too damp!

And she loves it! Been sat on it and nibbling it already! 
    That's a great idea! :D

*runs off to the freezer* :P
  • CritteryCrittery Overlord
    Great to see this thread here! :D

One thing to note about the fan, is that rodents don't respire in the same way humans do - therefore it doesn't do a great deal for them unless you put a small dish of water or similar in front, to help distribute that moisture through the air.

Rodents regulate heat via their tails, so a cool dish of water in their cage so they can dip tails in can be a good thing - at least for rats and mice. Not sure about the furry tailed ones. Sorry if that's already been said :)

If anyone gets a chance to do pea fishing then please post photos, I love seeing those!
    crittery.co.uk
    Exotic rodent husbandry and rescue;
    Resource website for rodents and small mammals;

Please like us on facebook! www.facebook.com/critteryuk
    Brilliant, great advice Christine, I had no idea about the tails thing! I'll be trying nice cold pea fishing this afternoon then! 
    Chubs (Russian hamster) has a stubby little fluff tail so I would need to mop his forehead instead!!! Cool water for mouse tails, definitely. :)  Any mouse, hamster or gerbil who seems comatose or collapsed due to heat, perhaps dampen a face cloth and wrap them in this. Or wet a cotton ball and gently wipe it over their fur to cool them down, especially on the tummy area. x
  • PurdyBearPurdyBear Lemming
    I have heard putting a piece of marble, like those sold for rolling out pastry, is a good thing.  It seems to stay cool.  I can vouch for quary tiles, as our kitchen floor is ice cold and it's 36 degrees in London this afternoon.

For fans if you put a dish of water in front and add ice to it, it will work just like air conditioning.

I didn't know about the mice and tail sweting, I'll have to note that down for future reference.
    Hope everyone is coping okay. Scotland has bee hot, but bearable. I had to get on the bus yesterday to see my GP and it was muggy. Was glad to get home and have an ice lolly! x
    Me and the mice seem to be doing alright April - the mouse room doesn't get much direct sunlight, which I'm glad of, and I've started putting ice cubes in their drinking water, to Popcorn's confusion! :P

I hope you're doing ok yourself, didn't you have some bad pains recently?  I hope the GP helped!
    edited July 2015 Posts: 1,268

Hi Maria. I`m banging my head against a brick wall with my GP`s sadly. Without interrupting this thread, she gave me another prescription yesterday for a drug called Topiramate. Fine I thought. Until I spoke to the pharmacist. It`s another EPILEPSY drug like the Pregabalin one that nearly killed me trying to come off it!! So as you can imagine, I marched out of the pharmacy, called the surgery on my mobile just to be told they had no appointments for the next two weeks at my local surgery! But if I call tomorrow, I can ask for a GP to call me back!

Suffice to say, I won`t be taking this drug because I wont go through that hell again, even if they convince me that this drug is different. As far as I`m concerned, these brain drugs cause me side effects like ankle swelling and brain fog. I actually thought she had prescribed me a migraine medication because when we were chatting, she kept going on about migraines and that there were `other` drugs I could try. Little did I know she was prescribing me another devil drug! So the march goes on and I`m still in agony.

Glad your girls are doing okay through this heat. x

Oh god, that sounds awful April!  And this heat can't be helping you at all...

I shouldn't have spoken so soon about my mice though - taking them to the vet's over Dolly's eye again today!

Just replied to Dolly`s thread. :) Really hope the vet you see soon gives Dolly`s eye a good examination.

As for me and my on going pain, I think I`d be better concocting my own medication at this rate! I may have a chat with a few pharmacists next time I`m in town and see if they can shed some thought on it. x

We're all managing fine here :) Are keeping the flat fairly cool so I'm not sure any of the pets've even noticed the country has a heatwave lol

Good luck with the GP tomorrow April. I hope they listen and take things into consideration to reach an answer you're both happy with
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    I know the heat wave is mostly past now, but I just had a thought - a damp fleece that is put in the freezer for a short while and draped over the cage would reduce the heat in the cage somewhat as well. Some pet stores also sell ice pods which can be a worthwhile investment for larger groups or larger animals:

I bought a few for my large groups and placed it near their beds and they seemed to appreciate this. Large stones are good too as a cheap alternative, especially if you soak the stone first so that they get colder :) On that point, a lot of pet stores that sell fish supplies sell bags of decorative marble stones which i have found to be some of the best ones to use. They can also be used as a heat source in the colder weather if you put them in warm or hot water for a while.