Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Gerbil Mum and babies

cath2323cath2323 Lemming
edited July 2015 in Behaviour
I had a post on here a few weeks ago about a surprise litter of 3 gerbils well i kept the girl from that litter with mum as mum was due to give birth again she now has 6 3 week old babies and the girl (Luna ) from the older litter is 8 weeks old and i went in to check on the this morning and a small chunk of her tail has been bitten off ? down to the bone. i have removed Luna from her mum and the other babies and cleaned the wound up. what advice can people give me. please no nasty comments i did not know this was to happen and i love my gerbils so much. 
Tagged:

Comments

• superwolfsuperwolf Mouse
    I don't have any advice as I've never kept gerbils, but don't worry about getting a bad reaction on here - everyone's lovely and supportive, and it's obvious you love your gerbils to bits.

I hope Luna recovers soon, and that she's not too stressed out by it all. :)
  • cath2323cath2323 Lemming
    Hi Superwolf 
    i have moved her to a new cage ( my spare one ) and put new substrate in it i have sopken to an experianced gerbil breeder and she has advised me. so feel better and luna has calmed down alot now alothough shes checking out her new cage now lol !!
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse

Hi cath. If the wound on Luna`s tail is down to the bone, a vet could amputate it. But sometimes a gerbils tail will de-glove if pulled and the bone that is exposed usually drops off, but please keep the wound clean using saline (one pint of boiled, cooled water with a teaspoonful of salt added and allowed to dissolve) and use this with a cotton ball/pad to gently wipe the wound..

It sounds as if she`s been either badly bitten or she`s caught her tail? Is her tail bending as if it`s broken? Or is the tail all attached and it`s just the skin that has been removed?

New babies can sometimes mean mum is coping with plenty as it is, but keep things quiet and let her be a mum. It`s a shame she got pregnant again so soon but these things happen. Deep breath! x

Hi Racing mouse 
    As i said in the above comments Lunas been moved out of the cage now and i have cleaned the wound. im pretty sure the tail is not broken all is still attached, i can see the bone and she is bleeding a little so the skin and hair has been re homed.  
    It will be fresh for a bit but healing should take place as long as she doesn`t chew at it. Keep an eye on it but if you feel it`s not healing or she`s in any discomfort, a vet will be able to tell you more. You don`t want infection getting in. Do you think it was a bite or an accident by catching her tail on/in something? If your cages/tanks don`t have anything in them to cause such a trap, I imagine she was attacked, but usually the body would have bites too?
    I'm glad Luna's calmed down a bit, must have been quite stressful for you both!

Maybe once the babies are old enough you could put a couple in with Luna for company, so you don't risk putting her back in with mum?  And in the meantime I'd give her plenty of attention so she doesn't get too lonely. :)
    Racing mouse 

im pretty sure she was attacked but if not by her mum then we do have 2 cats but they have nevr done anything like that before. i know its there nature and all but i it was to happen wouldnt it of happened sooner ?
    or to more than just her ?
    If it makes you feel any better our gerbil Bubblegum rejected her entire litter at just over five weeks old. It happens. I'm glad Luna has been separated and I hope she recovers quickly from the bite

Maybe Luna could be reintroduced to a girl from the younger litter when they're ready?
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
    I do have all of my small furies out every day and they get to play and have fun so she wont be neglected at all they have their treats and stuff and they love it and they give me so much  
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Get well soon Luna x

I could only suggest that the cat could have done this if it was allowed access to the gerbils or their cages if and when you are not watching, but otherwise, it`s difficult to say. Cats have been responsible for injuries and deaths of many a small furry, so if it`s a possibility, I would keep kitty out. Cats just can`t be trusted around anything small furry and fast! Hopefully it won`t have been the cat because they carry bacteria in their claws and teeth which can lead to septicaemia and death if they bite or catch a small animal or bird. Antibiotic are normally given in such cases.

As for introductions, well female gerbils are notorious for fighting and falling out and are not the same as male gerbils when it comes to introductions/cage splitting, although with very young females, it might be possible. There is a certain protocol with gerbils and it can be easy or downright difficult. I only kept male gerbils personally but I wouldn`t advise introducing adult female gerbils at all. x

the wound is still bleeding only when shes walking but i have found a pool of blood is it a vets job ?

• edited June 2015 Posts: 529

As for introductions, well female gerbils are notorious for fighting and falling out and are not the same as male gerbils when it comes to introductions/cage splitting, although with very young females, it might be possible. There is a certain protocol with gerbils and it can be easy or downright difficult. I only kept male gerbils personally but I wouldn`t advise introducing adult female gerbils at all. x

I only mentioned it as I've looked into stuff like this a lot recently. When the youngster is young enough theres definetly some chance of it working out, especially with the older female only being five weeks older at the time of introduction. With neither being an adult (even the older one would be more in the teenage phase from what I've read), the younger one still being borderline "baby" stage and the older one being alone I figured it might be worth a go. (Although the personalities of the individuals concerned will have some impact on how good/bad an idea it is)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I guess you're the best person to judge whether a trip to the vet is needed but I would think if the bleeding is nearly stopped and Luna doesn't seem in distress, then she should be ok at least until the vets open tomorrow.
    If the wound is bleeding a lot, she may have a blood vessel or a small artery bleed so check her today and if you feel she really needs to see a vet, I would. x
    the wound has stopped bleeding and has clotted up now so am going to keep an eye on it  and clean it once a day just to make sure no infection gets in. but she is acting normal again which is a bonus. 

Glad it's stopped bleeding, good luck to you both. :)
    That`s good news. Is she happy enough in herself cath? Can you tell if her tail bone it okay and doesn`t have any kinks in it? x
    yes shes fine racing mouse back to her old self no kinks in tail either 
    Great. Hopefully she will heal with your good care and be none the worse. It still sounds like a nasty wound all the same, but obviously you know where the vet is should you need them. Can you take photos cath? Would be nice to see your gerbils. x
    Racing mouse yea i do have photos i will upload some for you or you can go on to a fb group called rodent breeders and keepers im on there too :) and there photos on there it would be nice to be fb friends :)

or look up Catherine Belchamber i have  photo of a dwarf hamster as my photo

Sounds like great news with the tail, I hope it stays healing nicely now :)
    Sadly I`m not on facebook cath but never mind. Keep us posted on Luna and how she`s doing. x