Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Comments

I've heard good things about the JR Farm but have never tried it. We fed science selective for a while and the mice liked it but I'm not a huge fan of feeding pellet diets on their own as it seems a little boring, when we used it it was mixed with a few mixes to give more variety. Have never tried or heard of the beaphar though.
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • PetaleafPetaleaf Lemming
    Thank you! ;)
  • superwolfsuperwolf Mouse
    I've tried the JR Farm one and it goes down really well. :) Same with the Science Selective, but like Kyrillion I think it's a little dull to feed all the time, so I break it up and give them it with other things too.

If you're interested in doing your own mix, or just want some treats to feed the mice, then Rat Rations is a great site run by lovely people.  The choice can seem a bit overwhelming at first, but I'll happily give recommendations of what goes down well with my mice. :)
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    edited June 2015 Posts: 1,229

If I was choosing, I would go with the JR Farm mouse mix. It has the small seeds and grains that mice love. I currently feed their dwarf hamster version to my dwarf hamster and he likes it, although I purchased four bags of it so it should last a while yet! The science selective mouse will be small biscuit shapes like the hamster version. These shouldn`t be sniffed at as they can be added as an extra to the JR mix, but only a few small biscuits a day to add variety. What I like about the science selective hamster one is that they can be softened for older or ill animals that may well be off their regular mix. So buying a bag is handy to have just for those times when you might need it. But I agree that I wouldn`t feed it solely on it`s own, even though it`s a complete diet.

The Beaphar I wouldn`t touch. I remember buying a bag of their Xtra vital food and the mice hated it! Rat Rations is well worth a look as they sell straits and other grains/grasses to consider. x

• BaggyMousersBaggyMousers Mouse
    My mice LOVE selective, but as someone has said earlier, I wouldn't feed them solely selective. I like to give them a nice mix of seeds. If I put out a bowl of mix and one of selective and they haven't had selective in a while they will eat far more of the selective. 

I think a varied diet makes things interesting for them as well as it being good for them.

I use the rat rations ready made mixes or make up my own to which I add 50% hamster mix which is quite high in protein (and full of their favourite sunflower and pumpkin seeds) for the young growing mice. 
  • PetaleafPetaleaf Lemming
    Thank you very much!!!!!!! :D